What if I never do the valve adjustment?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worth doing, and worth learning to do yourself. <<like>> Kaitsdad post. This quiet guy has more experience inside a FJR engine than I ever hope to have.

Can't think of anybody who's screwed this up..... for those that can't do it themselves, or want to find out is what tech days are for....... won't do and take your chances? Not me. Real easy once you've seen it done once.

Can't think of anybody who's screwed this up..... for those that can't do it themselves, or want to find out is what tech days are for....... won't do and take your chances? Not me. Real easy once you've seen it done once.
Actually Ray, there was a FJR Forumite who did screw up the valve adjustment! Being a polite Irishman I'd never mention names, it was RadioHowie!

1915729_1131061326342_6869019_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All this reminds me of one of my rules. Before you check out a used bike, have a chat with the owner. NEVER buy a used motorcycle from an idiot, no matter how good it looks. ;)

My headlights only work on full beam. Just moved to a new town and have been waiting a week for my Yamaha dealer to get my replacement bulbs in. Could've just Amazoned them.
Would never sell anyone anything without full disclosure. I hate that crap. It always comes back if you do that kind of thing anyway.

The bike is not disposable. Recently purchased a SuperTenere planning to retire the FJR if me and SuperT got on well. We did! But because of the move I needed to sell one. The '12 SuperT provides more return value so I had to let her go. Dang! Now I have to ride it out on one of the best bikes ever created. Hope I see 150,000. I will have the valves checked. But again, mechanics near me didn't wanna do it, had never done one. Local Yamaha dealer is trying to sell me a bike by saying,"We have a ten year cutoff because your bike repairs may not be worth the value of the bike." So me and FJ R having a go of it.
Try Flatout Motorcycles in Indy 317-890-9110. They quoted me $500, They seem like good people to me. They also have a store in Martinsville, right up the road from you.