What kind of lift?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

650cent

Reaction score
Hey,

What is the best way the get the front wheel off the ground to work on the forks or change the tire. I have Craftsman motorcycle lift but it doesn't look like there is any room under the motor to place it because of the exhaust. Do I need to get a lift like a Pit-Bull or another type? Maybe someone has come up with an adapter for the Craftsman but I didn't come up with anything in a forum search.

Bill

One of the more involved contraptions is here and a more inexpensive and relatively easy to build option is here.

Personally, I take a scissor car jack left over from a Volkswagen I had, a 1"x4", and carefully put the board on the exhaust pipes, and jack slowly.

You can get as expensive as a motorcycle lift like your local shop or as simple and innovative as some on this forum.

I have seen some put a 1"x under the center stand to give the bike some added height.

Then some have gone as far to just add weight to the rear seat to bring the front up.

It works.

Others have used straps to pull the rear down.

Or as Ignacio mentioned a stand in the front to actually lift the front.

Many ways and for something you may only need to do once you may want to do it simple and keep your money for your next farkle or trip. :D

Be safe in whatever you decide...

Oh, I have also seen a guy use a regular floor jack with a 2x4 across it and 2 little blocks to go in between the exhaust to lift the front. Again innovative, cheap and it works...

Last edited by a moderator:
Floor jack under the exhaust with a short 2X4 load spreader works perfectly. The exhaust is more than strong enough, as the weight is relatively minor. I also have the black pipe stand, to support the rear when the centerstand must be removed.

Chunk-o-wood below the headers works well. I've made up this little T-block. I put a pry bar under the front wheel while the bike is on it's centerstand, step on the pry bar to raise the front as required, hold onto the handlebar and nudge the block under with my free hand.

IMG_1116.jpg

I drilled one hole in each of the two ceiling joists above the bike in the garage (theyr'e exposed....no sheetrock). Through the hole I bolted the beefiest eyebolts they had at Home Depot. I then run 2 tie-down straps down to the bike to hold it up. But I like the twowheelnut wood chunk.

Looks like I need to come up with a method that works of me. I would like to use the Craftsman lift so I can easily move the bike around the garage once its up in the air. I gather there is no problem lifting the bike from under the motor but I'm not to sure how stable it would be if the weight was on the exhaust.

I looked at the Pit-Bull site and it looks like they don't make an adapter that will lift the front wheel and forks.

If I get something made up I'll post a picture.

Bill

I built the pipe stand shown earlier, and it works great. I'll take both wheels off for tire mounting and never worry about the bike falling. I support the front using a heavy-duty ratcheting tie down strap, then back it up with a slight tension on the floor jack and a chunk of 2X4 under the exhaust header.

Forgot to mention. Four very dirty 40 pound bags of pellets for a wood stove work very well. :D

Just enough weight that the rear would stay down if you pulled it down (with the front wheel on) but the front would stay down if you lowered it. :D :D

No good on a bike with no center stand of course.

_0167small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: