What kind of mount is this - and how to attach a RAM Mount to it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William England

Reaction score
The new FJR came with this odd mount below the tree, just above the tank and the Garmin GPS clip. Not as secure as I'd like for my GPS. What kind of mount is this, and how would I get a RAM Mount for it?

Thanks,

Will

2013-03-14_17-09-59_540.jpg

If you like the position of the GPS with that mount, you can get a RAM base that replaces the bottom of that GPS mount and then add whatever RAM GPS mount is needed for your GPS. Here is a list of the 1 inch RAM components from the RAM site.

That is not the Wynpro Rambone, but it is similar in that it mounts to the tank hold-down bolts. I've never seen that particular one. It appears to have a smaller diameter ball than RAM mounts, and seems the same size as the Garmin stock cradle. The clip on top is a common Nuvi unpowered cradle and should pull right off.

I would remove the whole thing and replace it with Steve's Rambone mount. You might be able to convert that to a RAM compatible mount but I think you'd be better off with a Wynpro mount then get a 3-inch RAM arm and cradle for your GPS.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="TomInCA" data-cid="1050876" data-time="1363444524"><p>

That is not the Wynpro Rambone, but it is similar in that it mounts to the tank hold-down bolts. I've never seen that particular one. It appears to have a smaller diameter ball than RAM mounts, and seems the same size as the Garmin stock cradle. The clip on top is a common Nuvi unpowered cradle and should pull right off. <br />

<br />

I would remove the whole thing and replace it with Steve's Rambone mount. You might be able to convert that to a RAM compatible mount but I think you'd be better off with a Wynpro mount then get a 3-inch RAM arm and cradle for your GPS.</p></blockquote>

While I didn't say that was a ram bone. I was pointing him in the right direction for a better solution. Which is the wynpro ram bone.

Replying from mobile phone sucks sometimes...

Hey Sam, I agree with you, even though I can't remember anyone's name more than five minutes.
poster_oops.gif

Thanks ionbeam er whoever.

I am still on my mobile. So I can't see your avatar very well Tom. Do you use a tank bag? How does that 3" ram bone work for you with a moderately tall tank bag?

I bought the 5" last year and have been very happy with where that places the 478 above the tankbag..

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I thought Fred, but when Tom mentioned 3" ram bone, I wondered if that's what he had, and he still may. Hence the query.

5" ram bone with medium length ram arm is just about perfect..for me..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the mounted small ball fits my Nuvi 250 factory mount just fine, but it's not as secure as I'd like it. Seems like a drill and a few new stainless bolts will allow a standard 1" RAM base to fit just fine, connecting to my existing collection of arms and mounts. Wasn't sure if this was a known quantity with factory ready connections.

Thanks!

Will

At one point in time there were two different sizes of rambone. Not sure about now though.

Here's the rambone on my bike with my old GPS. I need to take some pics with my new 220.
biggrin.png

DSCN0209.jpg

A shorter or taller one was being considered initially, but never made it into production. The only ones Dave has ever sold were 5", which is the perfect size for an FJR.