What level of protection are you comfortable with?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Armor do you ride with?

• Armor, whats armor, I don't even wear a helmet!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I buy my riding gear based on price alone and could care less

• Trust the manufacturer has provided the best available armor

• The worthless foam that came with my jacket/pants

• I throw away the worthless foam and upgrade to CE approved

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Came supplied CE approved everywhere except for the back

• My gear came supplied CE approved in knees, hips, back, etc

• In addition to CE approved armor, I wear a backprotector

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
One thing that everyone seems to forget is the longer you've been doing something ie....riding, your outlook is usually coloured.... for some of us that have been riding a long time (racing included) know the value of proper gear...but....I for instance....right or wrong don't wear full protection armour while street riding..just full leathers...been doing that on the street for I think 35 years....yet if I test or set up a bike for someone on the track or am doing a track day (instructing or just riding) I wear the latest protective gear on the market.... may sound weird & crazy but I don't totally relate one to the other....right or wrong....but I also find that it keeps me riding at a sane level on the street that way....60-70% absolute max....but hey it works for me :blink:
If your strategy has worked for 35yrs, I'd say don't change it.

I can relate to your story when I hear of riders who don't put on the gear for short rides. I could never understand this, does hitting asphalt or vehicles hurt less so close to home?

Currently 47% of you guys who voted fully suit up for ride-outs, so go ahead and give yourselves a big pat on your back protector! :D

skyway....maybe you misunderstood me....for around town leather jacket, jeans, good quality high top hiking boots(Garmonts), gloves, fullface helmet......any distance rides....full leathers & oxtar infinity boots....I just can't get my head around full body armour on the street....to me it's for track use only...no shorts & tee shirts for this guy....I may be old & dumb but not stupid :ph34r:

skyway....maybe you misunderstood me....for around town leather jacket, jeans, good quality high top hiking boots(Garmonts), gloves, fullface helmet......any distance rides....full leathers & oxtar infinity boots....I just can't get my head around full body armour on the street....to me it's for track use only...no shorts & tee shirts for this guy....I may be old & dumb but not stupid :ph34r:
I have a Dainese jacket with a back protector that I wear, plus gloves and boots, but generally just wear jeans or slacks. Which doesn't make a lot of sense, but much of my riding is to and from work or such. I've got leathers that will zip to the jacket, but much of the time it just doesn't warrant the effort. I need to get better about that, having see pics of guys who've had get-offs in jeans.... :puke:

FWIW, the get-offs I've had (one of these days I need to do an intro for myself) resulted in injuries to my upper body (broken vertabrae, bum shoulder) but nothing I recall to my lower body.

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Not singling anyone out here, just making a generalized statement that I commonly here from riders.

Anyone whom uses a back protector, besides the in jacket back protector, will you post a link. Nick IENATSCH suggest using a chest protector. I haven't checked that out. Otherwise ATGATT ;)

TJ,

Maybe I'm just feeling a little more mortal these days while rapidly approaching 75, but I just purchased a Forcefield strap on back protector to add to my motocross strap on knee protectors & elbow protectors. I don't want to find out the hard way that "they're" right about the older you are the longer it takes to recover.

dobias <_<

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

I try to go by this in everything.

Always ride with a full face,gloves, boots and jacket sometimes I get lax in the pants though and go with jeans if its a "Quicky"