What manufacture makes good batteries for FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Maintenance Free BatteryColor- --, Size- YT14B-BSSKU# 275612...Anyone know if this is a decent battery.....POS??

Uh-oh....I screwed up the link, it's non-clickable....sorry.
Link doesn't matter. What is the name on the battery? P/N YT14B-BS only identifies it as being like a Yuasa -- it specifies that it is a 12 volt, 12 AH battery that is 150mm x 70mm x 45mm but doesn't identify the actual manufacturer.
It's a Parts Unlimited YT14B-BS from Motorcycle S/S. I never heard of one before but it had good ratings and the price was right.

I was guinea pig number 2 with the Shorai battery. My original Yuasa battery lasted over 7 years of benign neglect; sometimes on a trickle charger, sometimes not. I bought the Shorai for no particularly compelling reason, although it can be discharged down to about 20% of it's capacity without damage; see "benign neglect" comment above. So far I have a grand total of 40 minutes use with this, so I'll have to hold off for 7 years or so for a valid comparison! :rolleyes: Weather here in nawthin' Massachusetts is just now getting to bike weather, it's been a crummy winter & spring so far. :angry:

I was guinea pig number 2 with the Shorai battery...So far I have a grand total of 40 minutes use with this

Weather here in nawthin' Massachusetts is just now getting to bike weather, it's been a crummy winter & spring so far. :angry:
There are no Shorai batteries available right now because Shorai is making a design change to beef up the battery terminals. I read a couple of Shorai reviews where they noted the battery terminals were shaky and in a couple of other forums dual purpose bikes were breaking the the terminals. So, how did the terminals look to you?

It seems that summer is going to get here before spring arrives. Since they did not salt the roads last night, it isn't raining and the temperature is almost 40 degrees right now I'm going for a ride!

I was guinea pig number 2 with the Shorai battery. My original Yuasa battery lasted over 7 years of benign neglect;
I tend to be an early adopter and will be looking closer at this battery once they are back in stock later this month. I like the idea of having the space up there for some stuff (fuzeblock, etc - although I am not sure I will want to rewire it from under the seat!) Only 4 years on the current battery, but with many long rides planned this Summer I probably will bite the bullet and go Cadillac battery. ;)

I bought a Motobatt - the first was a dud, but the importer quickly replaced it with another, which works fine. I chose it based on the 'aftermarket shootout' I read online - and yes, the OEM battery is subject to spontaneous mortality.

It is ever so slightly taller than the OEM battery, making thread-starting on the battery clip less than a finger-thread.

The bike starts well and runs, even if I have only ridden a whole hour since installing it.

So, for now I do not regret my decision.

Note that Motobatt warrants their battery for TWO years where Yuasa provides a six month warranty.

MotoBatt drops right in, however the post setup screws onto the battery (then the leads screw onto the posts). I safety wired the leads/terminal just to be on the safe side.

To get a battery immediatly and cheaply, I went here and left with this . $71.49. How good of a deal this is, only time will tell.

Anyone using the BikeMaster Trugel battery? Best price I could find is $92 inc shipping. Not sure it's worth it over the Mottobatt? Both have a 2 year warranty

I have a Motobatt MBT12B4 due to be delivered any day now to replace a shot Westco 12V14B. However, some sites, including the manufacturer spec the MBT14B4 as fitting the FJR. I called Motobatt (after I had ordered the MBT12B4 as spec'd on Pashnit)and was told that the differed in that the MBT14B4 was 15mm taller. I do not know it this is true and hope to not have to find out!

There is more than just the extra height, the MBT14B4 has considerably more cranking power . . . I've posted the specs from both batteries and highlighted the differences.

Either battery will start the machine.

2832047740048697046S600x600Q85.jpg

Who makes the OEM battery and is it realy a good battery?

Yuasa

I had one in my last bike (a cruiser) that was almost 10 years old and still working great. With batteries, it's hard to tell which ones will last and which ones wont. I bought my '09 FJR with 0 miles on it in May of 2010, but the battery (a Yuasa) died this winter sitting outside in the 13 degree weather at work. A short charge brought it back to life and it's still in the bike, but I'm looking for a replacement before I take it on a big trip. I simply have no faith in it. Sometimes you just can't tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
The MBT12B4 that I ordered online was just placed on my doorstep by the good old USPS. However, since the vendor is almost local I am thinking about driving down south and exchanging the MBT12B4 for the MBT14B4. The height of the 12B4 is roughly 1/2" shorter than the Westco (which is 5 5/8" or 5 3/4" counting the protruding terminal) and the height of the 14B4 is just a touch taller. I may never need the extra cranking power but it can't hurt to have it although the cost is an extra $37.