What selection of tire irons for FJR wheels?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slapnpop

Rest in Peace our Forum Founder
Reaction score
For those that DO change your own tires, what size tire irons do you use for the FJR wheels? I'm going with the motion pros, but don't know what size to get.

Five iron to the green, then, if I'm lucky, a putter to finish the hole. :D

Go for leverage, Slappy. Let the tool do the work...

Three of the 16's. No more, no less.
- Mark
Three of the 16's.  No more, no less.
- Mark
That's what I thought, but I didn't know if there would be any issues with clearing the brake disc or anything.

So it looks like I'll be going with 3 of the 16" motion pro irons

15-0450Lg.jpg

And the Mark Parnes balancer (with long axle)

UNIV.JPG

and this bead breaker

2583_1sa.jpg

and I have left to build a stand for mounting the wheels, and weights.

Is that all I'm gonna need?

Make sure you take a look at this:

Tire changer

and this motorcycle tire attachment for it:

MC Attachment

I am thinking about buying these for my next tire change. They have gotten positive reviews for inexpensive tire changing equipment and have got to be easier than prying the tires off and on with irons.

Unsure how that orange paddle thing is much of a bead breaker. Maybe for tubed-tires, but I don't see how it's going to pop beads off for a big tubeless street tire.

Most of us homebrew a bead breaker from 2x4's bolted to a wall. Big c-clamps will sometimes work and then there are the odd ideas like running over the wheel with a car or using the kickstand of the bike. Anything that will exert a lot of downward pressure right at the tire bead will work, but it does require a fair amount of pressure.

- Mark

Five iron to the green, then, if I'm lucky, a putter to finish the hole. :D
Golf again?!?! I stick to my original answer to that... Duct Tape.

While I have the Harbor Freight tire changer, I live in an apartment so I really have no place to change the tires. I do however have the distinct opportunity to just be able to go down to SkooterG's neck of the woods and change my tires using his equipment. He also has the Harbor Freight stuff that we use. He has one of the fancy Motion Pro tire irons, and two normal ones. We don't use rim savers, just plenty of lube. For breaking the bead, we just use the one on the tire changer. stick a 2x4 on the floor (so the disc brake doesn't touch the ground) and all is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unsure how that orange paddle thing is much of a bead breaker.  Maybe for tubed-tires, but I don't see how it's going to pop beads off for a big tubeless street tire.
- Mark
I agree with markjenn on this one.

I've seen the little paddle/hammer bead breaker in person, and would not want to try it after actually breaking beads with a proper tool for the job like this one from a vendor that also sells the paddle type.

Just a few, quality tools make all the difference in this task.

Shane

snap, these are the ones i used before i bought a nomar tire changer. you do have to use the plastic wheel protectors to keep from scratching your wheels. i also use th parns static balancer. If you like, ride to Mo. and i will change them for you... ;) i use the ones with th alum ends.

tire tool

ma8j8l.jpg

There 17" long.. he has others... but the big ones are the best!!

i still use them for my dirt bikes. The big alum handle is easy on yor hands. They are expensive, but you will only buy them once... smitty

Last edited by a moderator: