What spare parts to you keep on hand?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texan

Rollie Reincarnated
Reaction score
I've got to order some nylon windshield screws for the FRJ. Last time I ordered a fender, I also ordered some extra cowling bolts to keep on hand. Since shipping is the same on most small orders, I want to order some more spares that I will need.

What spare parts do you keep in your shop and what parts do you keep on your bike?

I keep headlight bulbs with me on the bike, not easy but I can get my hand in there to change them without taking anything part. In my garage.. Lots of Rotella, At least 3 oil filters,(in case I can't get them for a while) Crush washers, fuses(on the bike) most of the other stuff is extra fasteners and such, the other thing I ordered a while back was 4 new little rubber caps that go on the throttle body for when you do the TBS. I ripped one once and was pissed atmyself for not having extra's, and the little spring clips that hold them on(even though you don't need the clips....)

On the bike stuff since Im obsessive compulsive about being prepared for everything

Picture031.jpg

Picture030.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking in the same tone.... and I don't want to hijack your thread....

what would you keep in say..... a lunch box size case that you would keep in your saddle bag??? Not for a LD ride, just

a 2 to 3 hour ride from home base?????

Set the list by priority....

B.

Hey Daily.........

Great picks dude......

B.

Do all those sockets fit something specific???

I have a ton of tools.... just don't want to take what I don't need.

??

I am more of a minimalist than most guys here.

On the bike:

Spare parts are just a few assorted plastic rivets and a screw or two.

Tools, along with the cheapo Yamaha toolkit, I keep

1) a quality tire pressure gauge

2) a sticky string tire patch kit

3) a small bicycle pump

4) an assortment of zip ties

5) a roll of duct tape

6) some tie down straps and bungies

7) the hex keys that are necessary to remove the plastics

In the garage:

A few parts that have been replaced by farkles.

Assorted plastic rivets and screws

One oil filter

One air filter

Motor oil, fork oil, brake fluid, anti-freeze, grease, etc.

Lots of tools and fasteners that are not specific to the FJR

At least 3 oil filters,(in case I can't get them for a while) Crush washers, fuses(on the bike) most of the other stuff is extra fasteners and such, the other thing I ordered a while back was 4 new little rubber caps that go on the throttle body for when you do the TBS. I ripped one once and was pissed atmyself for not having extra's, and the little spring clips that hold them on(even though you don't need the clips....)
Having previously owned a Connie, when I placed my first parts order for the FJR I bought extra fairing fasteners (the allen screws for the fairing, dash, all 3 types of plastic push/twist pin fasteners), crush washers, a set of TBS caps & clips and an extra set of windshield screws.

I keep a main fuse and extra circuit fuses in the glove box

I have an extra 2 or 3 of just about every fastener on my Gen I FJR. For stuff like windscreen screws, I have 10 or so extra on hand. Don't forget the rubber well nuts that the windscreen screws screw into (used elsewhere also), the (wood type) screws that the front inner panels are attached with, the nylon washers for painted fairing bolts, FOUR different types of pushpins, and as mentioned TB caps. I also would order the two extra 'fuel line' straps for your older Gen I FJR. I have had to replace both of mine already.

I ride a lot of miles, so I also have 5-6 OEM oil filters, and 2-3 OEM air filters on hand. Also a spare set of spark plugs and brake pads. And don't forget the special Yamaha whale jizz rear gear oil made specifically for the FJR.

The BIG thing here..........you ARE ordering all this stuff from Gary McCoy at Mondak Motorsports, aren't you?

Hey Daily.........
Great picks dude......

B.

Do all those sockets fit something specific???

I have a ton of tools.... just don't want to take what I don't need.

??
Some of those sockets are there merely to fix other tools in case the other tools should happen to break ;)

I have an extra 2 or 3 of just about every fastener on my Gen I FJR. For stuff like windscreen screws, I have 10 or so extra on hand. Don't forget the rubber well nuts that the windscreen screws screw into (used elsewhere also), the (wood type) screws that the front inner panels are attached with, the nylon washers for painted fairing bolts, FOUR different types of pushpins, and as mentioned TB caps. I also would order the two extra 'fuel line' straps for your older Gen I FJR. I have had to replace both of mine already.
I ride a lot of miles, so I also have 5-6 OEM oil filters, and 2-3 OEM air filters on hand. Also a spare set of spark plugs and brake pads. And don't forget the special Yamaha whale jizz rear gear oil made specifically for the FJR.

The BIG thing here..........you ARE ordering all this stuff from Gary McCoy at Mondak Motorsports, aren't you?
===

I take it... this place has great deals?? ......Gary McCoy at Mondak Motorsports..... I like saving

money.....

B.

Here's one for ya - I now keep an extra license plate reflector-screw and wingnut in my glove box. After riding for years I had never lost one but a few weeks ago out on a ride one of them came off. But, thanks to another necessary supply - zip ties - I was able to secure the plate and keep on riding.

I'm more along the lines of Geezer..............

Yamaha tool kit

patch kit with sticky string

hacked down 12V pump

If I were doing a LD ride, I would pack a bit more stuff, but not as much as Daily Commuter :dribble:

I guess if you wanted to be ultralight, you would just need a cell phone and a credit card. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry to much about extra parts, everyone has there preference, and you'll figure out what YOU think is necessary. In this day and age, most parts are readily available on short notice.

I've got myself convinced that I can't take any of this stuff out of my kit. Every time I take some stock or tools out of my work truck it never fails I need it for emergency repair within a week or so. I'm stuck with it all. I need therapy I think. It'll take years to bring me down.

These are all awesome suggestions. Too bad nobody sells an "FJR gotta-have bag" for $49. I guess I'll just have to make one from the suggestions. Thanks everyone.