What spare parts to you keep on hand?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ANd something no-one has mentioned a AAA membership with the RV Plus so they will use a flatbed tow truck should you need one. I also carry 4 soft ties and four good tie downs. (Tow trucks are notorious for not having the right things to tow a bike with)

These are all awesome suggestions. Too bad nobody sells an "FJR gotta-have bag" for $49. I guess I'll just have to make one from the suggestions. Thanks everyone.

=== I would buy one for a starter kit..................

B.

ANd something no-one has mentioned a AAA membership with the RV Plus so they will use a flatbed tow truck should you need one. I also carry 4 soft ties and four good tie downs. (Tow trucks are notorious for not having the right things to tow a bike with)
Or, a possibly better option: get a AMA membership that now includes roadside service if you sign-up for automatic renewal. I don't know how good the roadside service is, but having a AMA membership is always a great idea to protect our interests as motorcyclists.

And if you have the YES warranty, you also have towing coverage.

What I keep on hand;

Gen II Commonly Used Parts List - compliments of HaulinAshe

90111-05003-00 Cowling-2 chrome allen head screw

90111-05007-00 Cowling-1 chrome allen head screw long

90111-05021-00 Cowling-1 black allen head screw long

90154-05007-00 Cowling-1 Philips head machine screw black, (glove box lid)

90154-05013-00 Cowling-1 self-tapping philips screw, black (inside wheel well)

90202-05180-00 nylon washers (under cowling screws)

90269-06001-00 plastic pushpin rivet

90269-06081-00 plastic rivet, philips-pin)

90202-06008-00 rubber washer between insulation blanket and rivet (under fuel tank)

90150-05024-00 windshield screw

90179-05523-00 W-frame mounting rubberized bellnut

214-11198-01-00 - CRUSH WASHER (get lots)

895-14169-00-00 rubber cap (TBS)

8a7-14139-00-00 spring clip (TBS)

IMAGES

For most, I bought 10ea (screws). I only bought four rubber caps and spring clips, but I might order another "set" of four soon. I only purchased 7 new windshield screws.

With that order from Gary @ MonDak, I ordered an airfilter, but I don't keep a spare one. The oil filter/oil I can easily find. I also keep the part numbers for the oil filters in my phone in case I can't find my preferred filter while on the road. I don't carry all of that on a road trip. I might take a few crush washers along.

For tools... look HERE (mixed in with other misc pics). I like the multi-use tools. Duct tape, visegrips, etc.

Plus, my AAA+RV card, a mobile phone and a SPOT tracker.

Adding the oil drain plug sounds reasonable. I might find that p/n and add to my list.

Thanks twisted.....

I have a mobile phone and just purchased Spot Tracker.

Went on line to Mondak and started looking around, they have great exploded views of the FJR.

B.

Thanks twisted.....

Went on line to Mondak and started looking around, they have great exploded views of the FJR.

B.
Always call Gary; the prices on the website are higher than the forum discount. Just tell him you're with the FJRForum and you'll like the prices he quotes.

Here's one for ya - I now keep an extra license plate reflector-screw and wingnut in my glove box. After riding for years I had never lost one but a few weeks ago out on a ride one of them came off. But, thanks to another necessary supply - zip ties - I was able to secure the plate and keep on riding.
After having my plate stolen, it is not riveted to the bike. No chance of a screw being lost from my plate now.

Thanks twisted.....

B.
Always call Gary; the prices on the website are higher than the forum discount. Just tell him you're with the FJRForum and you'll like the prices he quotes.
==Thanks Bro.....

B.

We use duct tape when you kalifornians get over-prissy and we tie you up and gag you with spoons from southern brazil. The rest is just mandatory.

We use duct tape when you kalifornians get over-prissy and we tie you up and gag you with spoons from southern brazil. The rest is just mandatory.

======

You win odot........... your the strangest :dribble: :dribble:

B.

I did compile a list of all suggestions and I will call Gary at MONDAK.........
I'd be interested in seeing what you decided on after looking at everyone else's lists.

A tip on putting together your tool kit: I always use the tool kit I carry on the bike when I work on the bike at home. That way, I know exactly what I need to upgrade and I know what I don't need to carry. No sense carrying around a tool for a job you don't know how to do yet. You're not going to learn that job when you're stuck on the side of the road.

And I actually carry two toolkits. One is just a plastic bag with a screwdriver, a couple of the most commonly used allen wrenches, and a multi-tool. This is in a very accessible place and handles about 95% of what I need to do on the road, which is mostly just tightening fasteners. The larger, more complete toolkit is in a wrap and resides at the bottom of one the saddlebags.

Parts I carry with me:

a tire plug kit (I go with sticky strings) and a small 12v compressor

spare bulbs -- headlight and tail light

a collection of OEM fasteners

a collection of non OEM fasteners (zip ties, duct tape, & bungees)

hook-up wire, a few crimp on connectors, and electrical tape

a small bag of cleaning supplies, mostly for the windshield since I'm not actually big on bike washing

a spare credit card

In the garage:

fluids, filters, and crush washers

at the moment, brake pads, but I guess I wouldn't usually have those hanging around

the farkles that go on or off the bike depending on the type of ride

a couple of boxes full of leftover bits and pieces that I'll throw away eventually so why the hell don't I just do it now?

Last edited by a moderator: