what to bring for my first long road trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take just 3 socks (preferably, all the same).In the morning: put yesterday's left-foot sock on your right foot, wash yesterday's right-foot sock and tie it to your handlebar, and put the 3rd (clean) sock on your left foot.

Repeat... :)

Great idea! From now on, I'm doing that. And I'll bring three pants too. First day, wash left pant, switch right pant to left and put on 3rd pant, hang first pant from handlebar, etc.

Wait. Oh, yeah, pants . . . Damn. Never mind. It won't work. :angry2:

and a Slime pump, but can't run the pump off the ciggy lighter cuz it keeps blowing the fuse-don't have time or money to wire in a dedicated socket.
The ciggy lighter is only a 3 amp circuit, that's why the fuse keeps blowing. Use the alligator clips on the slime pump and run it directly off the battery in the right side of the fairing...if you really need to use it, the extra minute it takes to undo the battery cover is trivial...

As stated, its not like you will be out in BFE for this trip.

Ensure your cell phone is charged and your ICE (In Case of Emergency) contacts are in there and DON'T password your phone. Man, that has to be annoying to emergency workers.

I have a slime roadside kit as you never know when you are going to pick up a nail or something. Just yesterdays someone lost a brand new gas grill out of their truck and it ended up all over the highway. Yeah.... nice. Ensure you get one with the air canisters or pump as previously stated.

A camelback to drink from. Takes a little getting used to but having a camelback while riding is just great, especially out here even though the heat hasn't hit yet. OH, tube goes on your left side, taking your hand off the throttle to get drink is never a smart move.

You may consider an iPod or similar music device as listening to the helmet noise will get old after about the first 100 miles. Love my GMRS chatterbox with bluetooth.

Relax and enjoy.

Nobody has mentioned the #1 problem with long distance rides.....Monkeybutt!

Drag along a travel-pak of Baby Wipes. Keep yer poo-hole clean.

ps: Stand up when you fart. Fight The Monkey!!!

ps: Stand up when you fart. Fight The Monkey!!!
Shhhh... your giving away my secret. Now Rob's gonna see this and swear his ass off at me for standing up on the pegs for the entire length of Pennsylvania last EOM.

'What? Oh.. thats just the Domtar facility we just rode through...."

In a couple weeks I'll be taking my first long road trip-700 miles each way-and due to finances/schedule each leg's gotta be done in one day. I've just put on new tires, had the oil changed, rear diff fluid checked, TB synched, and all the fluids topped up.
I want to minimize tools so I need to know what the bare minimum of sockets, allen keys, etc. I should bring. I've got the tire repair kit, and a Slime pump, but can't run the pump off the ciggy lighter cuz it keeps blowing the fuse-don't have time or money to wire in a dedicated socket.

I'm carrying two credit cards just in case there's an issue with buying gas too far apart, got all the jacket liners/rain gear/spare gloves/spare visors for any condition short of blizzards packed. Ibuprofen, allergy and Immodium tablets along with all my prescription meds all set aside. Dog tags with personal info in case of accident. Cell phone and spare battery for use for other problems or communication. GPS for navigation and earplugs, and just picked up a Crampbuster for the throttle since I don't have time to get my electronic cruise control installed.

Anything important I'm missing? I'll be getting a couple shorty bottles of water for my tankbag the night before. Packing normal sneakers and non riding clothes for after I get there, too.

thanks in advance for advice from those who've BTDT.
Suggest you separate and carry the 2 credit cards in different locations. If you have one in your wallet, which you put in your tank bag and you leave the bike and it is stolen you still have one in the other location. Works for cash too., separate this as well. Carry in your wallet or tank bag what you might need, say $20. Put the rest in the coffee can, which you can put in one of the side bags.

This also covers that self imposed situation called losing/leaving/dropping your wallet with your money and credit cards. You can still make your destination, while screaming inside your helmet, what a friggin idiot I am.

I carrying tools, small items such a flashlight in the coffee can. Keeps everything from jumbling around. This where the registration is also. Just a thought.

Willie

Sunscreen!!! Pasty white boys like me burn like hell, even in the constant shade under a full face helmet. If you think you ain't gonna burn you're gonna suffer in places like your nose and those little exposed strips of skin between your helmet/collar and under your chin. And using the combined sunscreen/skin moisturizer really helps with the windburn.

In a couple weeks I'll be taking my first long road trip-700 miles each way-and due to finances/schedule each leg's gotta be done in one day. I've just put on new tires, had the oil changed, rear diff fluid checked, TB synched, and all the fluids topped up.
I want to minimize tools so I need to know what the bare minimum of sockets, allen keys, etc. I should bring. I've got the tire repair kit, and a Slime pump, but can't run the pump off the ciggy lighter cuz it keeps blowing the fuse-don't have time or money to wire in a dedicated socket.

I'm carrying two credit cards just in case there's an issue with buying gas too far apart, got all the jacket liners/rain gear/spare gloves/spare visors for any condition short of blizzards packed. Ibuprofen, allergy and Immodium tablets along with all my prescription meds all set aside. Dog tags with personal info in case of accident. Cell phone and spare battery for use for other problems or communication. GPS for navigation and earplugs, and just picked up a Crampbuster for the throttle since I don't have time to get my electronic cruise control installed.

Anything important I'm missing? I'll be getting a couple shorty bottles of water for my tankbag the night before. Packing normal sneakers and non riding clothes for after I get there, too.

thanks in advance for advice from those who've BTDT.

Everything you need should be in your bikes toolkit, , ive just done a 4500ks trip round the north island of New Zealand, 2 1/2 weeks on my 06, got it serviced and new tyres before and it did'nt miss a beat, just kept an eye on tyre pressure and checked oil at about the 1/2 point , could'nt fault the bike, took a tyre repair kit for peace of mind .maybe throw in a small torch, comes in handy, and a few zip lock bags, we didnt take much clothes , just did the laundry every couple of days, a good pocket knife comes in handy as well, muesili bars are good if your not by any servos as well. and make sure to have plenty of rest stops on the way.....enjoy

I carry a Canyon Dancer bar harness with me in case I need to use AAA. Makes tying down the FJR a lot easier and I wouldn’t want to depend on the tow truck to have one. Hope I never use it.

If you carry a spare key, make sure it's not in one of the locked compartments on your bike - I've done that and it does not work.

Keep it in your pocket, around your neck or like I did: superglue a small rare earth magnet to it and stick it where the sun don't shine.... on an accessible metal surface under any plastic panel of your choice.

These magnets are really strong - it takes several pounds of force to remove them - wont vibrate loose as long as the glue holds.

well, I'm off in a few minutes. Passes look good, only some spots of ice reported. wheee!

to paraphrase:

"It's 700 miles to Olympia. We've got a full tank of gas, half a bottle of Mt. Dew , it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it. "

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I'm off in a few minutes. Passes look good, only some spots of ice reported. wheee!
to paraphrase:

"It's 700 miles to Olympia. We've got a full tank of gas, half a bottle of Mt. Dew , it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it. "
Does your bike have "cop shocks"

I wish haven't been able to afford some of the epic suspension upgrades yet.

Made it back in one piece. 1700 miles, three states, one sore @ss.

and BTW, there's no magic instability with having side bags, trunk and speeds in excess of 120 ;)

to paraphrase:

Does your bike have "cop shocks"

I'm doing something similar in two days: from the Bay Area shooting down 5 then across the Tehachapis to Joshua Tree Friday. Home via Santa Barbara and 101 Saturday. It's about 500 / 600 miles. It's a shakedown run my buddy and I are taking in anticipation of our June x-country trip to check out gear, distances per day, and riding styles.
I put together a comprehensive (for now) list of gear on MS Word. It includes clothes, tools, camping, misc., etc. It's not necessarily a "bring all this stuff list," but a list to review for ideas. Send me a PM with your email address if you want me to send it. And if you think of anything else, let me know.

JB
James, I sent you a PM

I just had a ground spider fry on the wiring harness.

So now I also carry a few wire nuts in my tool pouch.

Besides the normal list, here are a few extra:

- Small amount of toilet paper in a ziploc freezer bag. You never know when you'll need it.

- Hide $20 under the seat.

- 1 granola bar.

- My medical kit consists of advil, q tips, bandaids, neosporen, fingernail clippers, salin solution for the eyes, sunscreen, burn blue-gel.

- Small led flashlight w/ extra batteries.

- Led flashlight that can be attached to your noggin'.

- Duct tape: took a plastic 35m film canister and wrapped duct tape around it. It's just the right width.

- $1 in quarters for air machines.

- Pen and pad.

- Extra ROK straps.

- Small rag.

- Small shamwow to dry off.

- Plastic shopping bag.

- A few plastic tie-things you get when you buy electronic cords.

- Rubber bands.

- Extra ziploc freezer bags.

- Photocopy of your driver's license.

These along with tools, tire repair kit, air compressor, and 6' shielded cable & lock for my helmet and jacket all fit underneath the seat.

Last edited by a moderator: