What to bring travel checklist

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As posted in the same thread elsewhere on this board:

A shaving kit. 1 change of underwear, 1 change of socks, the shirt and pants I have on, my riding gear, a way to hydrate while riding, a flat fix kit, a roadside assistance plan, and cash+credit card.

Pack less crap and take more money. The bike will handle better and you'll have what you need (when you need it) by stopping to pick up replacements while on your trip. Underwear, shirt and pants can be bought in any small town. Leave the dirty stuff behind.

I can report that the above list worked well for an 11 day trip that took me around the entire US.

I may pack 1 extra pair of jeans (but usually not). When packed to the hilt it's:

1 pair of gym shorts

2 pairs of socks (in addition to what I have on)

2 pairs of underwear (in addition to what I have on)

2 extra t-shirts (in addition to what I have on) (1 long sleeved)

1 pair of boat shoes or sandels

Every 3rd day make sure you pick a hotel/motel with a laundy and wash all your dirty stuff and repack it for the next 3 days. Repeat for the rest of the time you're on the road.

Because I chose my riding jacket/pants well, I don't need rain gear. The liner of the jacket and pants can be stowed or used when the weather changes enough to warrant it. In the winter I wear my Widder heated gear and (when really cold) polypro long johns for layering over it. So boots, helmet, gloves, liner/heated gear are worn and not packed (taking no room on the bike). If it gets hot, I open the vents on the pants/jacket. If it gets cold or wet I close the vents.

i tend to overpack and i learned how much so last summer on a 3 week trip.

not having done this before i basically ended up filling both side bags with clothes and sundries. after a day or two i realized that i basically only needed two changes of clothes, one for riding and one for the end of the day. at the end of the day i'd shower and change into the clean clothes and hang up the sweaty riding clothes to dry. in the morning i'd put on the riding set and so on. i stopped and washed everything a couple times and only opened the second bag a couple times.

now i know that i have a whole side bag to fill with other crap.

Eye hope I don't get any flack for writing this but I have been running some tests to see just how long you can wear a pair of jeans while on a trip before they get offensive and my conclusions are thus:

For a two-week/14 day trip: 2 pair of jeans with the first pair being worn all the way to the event and changed after there. The second pair is worn after you get to the event and until you leave. Flip a coin going back home!

If I feel the need and most times eye don't, I will stop at a laundry and wash the two pair of jeans. (I go into the laundry bathroom and put a pair of shorts on and wear them until um through. Then it's put the jeans back on for another 14 days or so.

Pants-wise I only take 2 pair of jeans and 1 pair of shorts.

Some of the best clothes to have and use for comfort is clothing like bicyclist wear. Performance clothing any type that wicks away moisture from you. Do not wear cotton "t" shirts. I went to wal-mart and bought there Dri -wear it works really good. You can wash them every night and they will be dry in the morning that is why you will only need two or three of each and easy to pack

LIST---- a- long sleeve shirt

b-t-shirt

c-riding under weear

d- socks

e-long pants (bottoms)

I only saw mention of carrying extra keys once... even reading threw all of those online lists. I'm surprised, this is one of the very first things that I learned when beginning to tour... even if it's a 2 day trip... carry extra keys. It also might be adventageous to keep them somewhere unlocked. (wink, wink) I'd like to add... besides bringing a spare for the bike & the saddlebags also bring a spare house key(s).

Can you imagine... being gone for days & you've lost your keys but you have your spares... & you're sooo proud of yourself for remembering to bring them... then you get home only to find out that you can't get in your house!

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of great tips from everyone. I find it conducive to Fed X dirty laundry/any unwanted items halfway into my trip. Example: If I find a few souvenirs, I usually tell the clerk to send them home along with my dirty laundry.

re: keys

Wife carrys one set, I carry the other, both with house keys. Also, windshield up/down switch triggers garage door opener.

Pepperell

I only saw mention of carrying extra keys once... even reading threw all of those online lists. I'm surprised, this is one of the very first things that I learned when beginning to tour... even if it's a 2 day trip... carry extra keys. It also might be adventageous to keep them somewhere unlocked. (wink, wink) I'd like to add... besides bringing a spare for the bike & the saddlebags also bring a spare house key(s).
Can you imagine... being gone for days & you've lost your keys but you have your spares... & you're sooo proud of yourself for remembering to bring them... then you get home only to find out that you can't get in your house!
Yeah, I forgot about the spare key part. I carry an extra key and it is always on the key ring that's hooked to my right-side belt loupe.

The key that I use for driving is in the bike ignition or on the clip-end of the chain of my wallet which hangs down in the on the front of my thigh.

Whenever I get off the bike I look down to the front of my right leg and make sure that I put the key on the chain, then I pat my right side for my second set of keys. Then I start looking for some chicks to party with.

Last edited by a moderator:
You people are AFU, including the female FJR riders. The ONLY thing you need to figure out is if there will be "companionship" available during the trip or at your destination. Remeber the old adage...Why bring sand to the beach? :D

As posted in the same thread elsewhere on this board:
A shaving kit. 1 change of underwear, 1 change of socks, the shirt and pants I have on, my riding gear, a way to hydrate while riding, a flat fix kit, a roadside assistance plan, and cash+credit card.

Pack less crap and take more money. The bike will handle better and you'll have what you need (when you need it) by stopping to pick up replacements while on your trip. Underwear, shirt and pants can be bought in any small town. Leave the dirty stuff behind.

I can report that the above list worked well for an 11 day trip that took me around the entire US.

I may pack 1 extra pair of jeans (but usually not). When packed to the hilt it's:

1 pair of gym shorts

2 pairs of socks (in addition to what I have on)

2 pairs of underwear (in addition to what I have on)

2 extra t-shirts (in addition to what I have on) (1 long sleeved)

1 pair of boat shoes or sandels

Every 3rd day make sure you pick a hotel/motel with a laundy and wash all your dirty stuff and repack it for the next 3 days. Repeat for the rest of the time you're on the road.

Because I chose my riding jacket/pants well, I don't need rain gear. The liner of the jacket and pants can be stowed or used when the weather changes enough to warrant it. In the winter I wear my Widder heated gear and (when really cold) polypro long johns for layering over it. So boots, helmet, gloves, liner/heated gear are worn and not packed (taking no room on the bike). If it gets hot, I open the vents on the pants/jacket. If it gets cold or wet I close the vents.
Well eye be damn BOUNCE. Gotta son In Ft. Worth and I usually am there for about 2 weeks during the summer.

Here's hoping to meet you this summer when um there!

You people are AFU, including the female FJR riders. The ONLY thing you need to figure out is if there will be "companionship" available during the trip or at your destination. Remeber the old adage...Why bring sand to the beach? :D
AFU? Pardon my lingo ignorance but what does that mean? Already F***ed up?