What to offer ... new 2008 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvcorliss

Reaction score
A dealer near me has a brand new black FJR on the floor for sale. The only option I can see is the Top Box and Back Rest. It is marked $15,400! I have not asked yet what he would consider but I'd like to know what you as a group would be a fair offer.

Thanks, Michael

Out The Door price, all fees but NOT including taxes.............

Good: $11,500

Great: $10,500

It's a 2008 for crying out loud. There are tons of brand new 09s, 10s, and 11s out there for good deals if you are willing to shop, be patient, and travel to get it.

Go check Cylcetrader.com for some comparisons and remember the prices you see there are generally always high.

I got a new 08 from a dealer in Iowa City last Sept. No top box or back rest $11,787 OTD. I did my own tax and title, purchased Y E S from D&H for $389.00.

Not to say that's the best deal there is, but I'm happy with it.

I got an '09 with 4K miles with a top box, MCL riser, Sargent seats, 2 Brothers exhaust, forward pegs and YES for $11,800 from a dealer in Georgia as a comparison. I'm happy. Like SkooterG said be patient and shop around.

Just an FYI bought my 2010 silver FJR1300 last year April for 11200 so an 08 should go for high 9's or maybe 10. If you pay more then that as soon as you ride away you will have lost a lot of money. If you live near Colorado Fremont Motorsports sells a ton of yamaha's at great prices. And NO I do not work for them or have any link to them just saying...

Here are my thoughts based on my limited experience:

1) If you can, wait until winter. People are looking at another year of registration and insurance while the bike sits in the garage waiting for warmer weather, so deals are much better.

2) I agree with the "be patient". I was looking for awhile, then came across a CL offer for a low mileage (7k) '08 for $7000 ($7700 after paying CA taxes). It was bone stock, and had a little tipover damage on the right mirror and fairing, but I was happy to get it for $4-5k less than new.

3) Looking at the costs to install what I now think are essential farkles (aftermarket seat, cruise control, outlets for heated clothes, and maybe heated grips), I would look for a relatively low mileage late model unit already equipped with these items, and pay maybe up to $9000.

If you go new and get it OTD for lets say $11,000, you're still looking at up to $1000 for what I consider essential items, not to mention all the wrenching required for the electrical upgrades - if you're good at all that (which I'm not) then maybe that's not a factor.

Anyhow, that's my opinion, and as we know, everyone's got one!

good luck

I bought a new 08 last spring ('10) in western Iowa for $10700 plus tax, I thought that was a good deal since there were guys asking more than that for used ones at the time.

I agree with russperry though, wait till winter when he's hungry. I found mine the previous may and waited till january to buy it...the deal got a lot better.

Just the fact that the dealer would put a price like that ON the bike tells you something about how realistic he's trying to be. And consider this: when it comes to an FJR, "new" is really overrated. Especially when ya consider that you have the resources of this forum at your fingertips. You can get a lot more bike (with farkles) for a LOT less money. In 6 weeks it'll be October. You'll start seeing incredible deals on FJR's. A little patience here is worth thousands, my friend. Question is, can ya wait?

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
As allrider points out, the minute you roll out the dealers door, you have a three year old bike. Take a look around and see what low mileage '08s are fetching and then figure out how much extra the *newness* is worth to you.

Good luck!

--G

As allrider points out, the minute you roll out the dealers door, you have a three year old bike. Take a look around and see what low mileage '08s are fetching and then figure out how much extra the *newness* is worth to you.

Good luck!

--G
I just purchased a 2008 for $8200. The only Farkle it had was a Jastec plug and a new, unmounted front tire. The bike had been meticulously maintained and documented with all service records. It was truly flawless, I could not find a blemish on it. I, too was looking at a new FJR. The local dealer quoted me over $15K. I saved over $7K buying used and glad I did!

Jeff S

KS

I just purchased a 2008 for $8200. The only Farkle it had was a Jastec plug and a new, unmounted front tire. The bike had been meticulously maintained and documented with all service records. It was truly flawless, I could not find a blemish on it. I, too was looking at a new FJR. The local dealer quoted me over $15K. I saved over $7K buying used and glad I did!

Jeff S
Good job, Jeff. Sounds like you got yourself an OK deal. You didn't "steal" it, but ya used your head. Welcome to the forum, by the way... I see your a newbie here. How many miles were on it?

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a perfect 2008 FJR with 1,972 miles on it. Came with sliders installed, (NIB) extra large windshield, never mounted, Yamaha cover, Breakaway throttle lock, no scratches or marks.

$8500.00 Pretty happy with the deal and extremely impressed with the bike. Black and Silver of coarse.

Just bought my 09 brand new,35 miles, for 12K with Givi top box. The past wkend the bike was in for the recall and I was able to use a loaner FJR they just took in. its a blk 08 with sliders, heated grips,taller winshield. Bike road nice. The dealer is Bobby J's yamaha in Alburquerque. Good luck!

Please note, the '08 and '09 are both Raven Black. The '08 has gray wheels and the '09 has black wheels.