What's on your dash shelf?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat L

TwoWheelExplorer
Reaction score
I'm curious how riders are using their dash shelves. Mine's still empty while my toy money goes to other goodies, but it will end up hosting a GPS, possibly a Valentine 1 remote display, and probably a Spot device.

But for now it's all forlorn and empty.

How are you using your dash shelf? Pics would be great.

I'm sure Patriot will be along with his sensory overload. :lol: Be sure and ask him to itemize, use arrows and numbers and make a list that follows the numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is mine before it was painted. open void in the middle is for the Valentine1. That is a Cantech fuse block bolted underneath it for the small loads on the shelf. iPod has velcro on the back to hold it to the bracket. The cover for the V1 has velcro on it to hold a FRS radio on top of the cover EDIT: XM30 antenna in front of Garmin

IMG_8362.jpg

I keep the following on my dashboard shelf:

GPS

iPhone

Radar Detector

Dell Laptop Computer

Satellite Dish/receiver

Microwave Oven

Small refrigerator

Printer/fax combo

DVD player

iPad

10 speed blender

Electric can opener

And a toaster oven.

Here is mine before it was painted. open void in the middle is for the Valentine1. That is a Cantech fuse block bolted underneath it for the small loads on the shelf. iPod has velcro on the back to hold it to the bracket. The cover for the V1 has velcro on it to hold a FRS radio on top of the cover EDIT: XM30 antenna in front of Garmin
I like the idea of the Centech under it. My fuse block is in the tail, but most of the goodies I will be adding will be in the front. I was thinking of a second one in the fairing or at least the seat area, but that is a nifty idea there.

A simple radar detector is all I have on my shelf. I don't want or need all that other crap. I actually have an idea for a half shelve just to hold the detector. May be a winter project.

I like the idea of the Centech under it. My fuse block is in the tail, but most of the goodies I will be adding will be in the front. I was thinking of a second one in the fairing or at least the seat area, but that is a nifty idea there.
I have a blue sea in the tail that feeds the can tech. You can see can see it at the tech meet.

Great setup, Mark! And I love seeing 910s in use. I'm still pondering whether to mount mine on the FJR, or sell them and pick up LED lights instead.
they're perfect candidates for HID conversion. fixed focus, long-range aiming; everything LED can't do yet.

they're perfect candidates for HID conversion. fixed focus, long-range aiming; everything LED can't do yet.
You converted yours to HID, right? Though I thought I remembered that you started using something else instead. Your suggestions on how to do the conversion, mount ballasts, and that kind of thing would be welcome!

:blink: :blink: :blink: WTF??? That setup is so claustrophobic and distracting it's not even funny. Why would you need a big arse boom map light if you have a GPS? And where is the flux capacitor that's powering all this stuff? If I had all those gadgets I'd never watch the road and enjoy the ride, I'd be to busy looking at all the pretty lights, gauges & read outs. I don't like clutter...which is exactly what this is.

:blink: :blink: :blink: WTF??? That setup is so claustrophobic and distracting it's not even funny. Why would you need a big arse boom map light if you have a GPS? And where is the flux capacitor that's powering all this stuff? If I had all those gadgets I'd never watch the road and enjoy the ride, I'd be to busy looking at all the pretty lights, gauges & read outs. I don't like clutter...which is exactly what this is.
Umm hello? Welcome to the world of Long Distance Endurance Rallying! If you haven't done it, you won't understand!! Having seen that bike in person, it is actually a very well farkled bike for rallying! As for not getting too busy looking at all the pretty lights and stuff, I guess it does take some discipline.

As for the map light, when you are at a bonus location, wondering what the hell are you supposed to be doing there - your GPS won't say crap. You would need the map light to read your rally pack, fill out bonus paperwork.

Once again, if you haven't rallied - you won't understand.. :)