What's the best GPS in your opinion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcruiser(aka downn2)

Reaction score
What a hassel it is to have to stop and ask for directions....Yes, I enjoy getting up around 5 AM Sunday mornings and getting the hell out of the city.......unfortanately my couriousity takes me where I can't find my way back without having to stop and ask for numbnut for directions.....So,I give up!!!!! I want a GPS.....I'm gonna put it under the clear map cover on my ICON Urban bag....I need one with a big screen (can't see anymore).....I don't give a rats tail about the price.....I'm not looking for some discontinued model that's on sale cheap..

Suggestions please

Garmin 276C/376C/378C/478C

Highest resolution, largest screen of any of the 'normal sized' units. Various combinations from 'separate memory' to XM/Weather and full coverage PLUS marine applications if you were interested.

Fully waterproof - built-in battery operation to 16 and more hours. Large tracklog.

I run 2 276Cs (one in the car and another on te bike (yes, I could have shifted between, but I bought the second one for the wife's car and she refused to use it . . .). One has 128 megs of memory (large enough) the other has 256 Megs (larger still) but you can get 512 Megs, which covers about 1/3 of the entire of North America. If you need full on board, there's the higher end units from the series.

If you'll have it under the clear plastic on your tank bag the fact that the 276C doesn't have a touch screen is a plus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like my Garmin Quest. It's small and compact. For me, the extra size (and cost) of larger models didn't help me get to my locations and faster.

Garmin 276C/376C/378C/478C
Highest resolution, largest screen of any of the 'normal sized' units. Various combinations from 'separate memory' to XM/Weather and full coverage PLUS marine applications if you were interested.

Fully waterproof - built-in battery operation to 16 and more hours. Large tracklog.

I run 2 276Cs (one in the car and another on te bike (yes, I could have shifted between, but I bought the second one for the wife's car and she refused to use it . . .). One has 128 megs of memory (large enough) the other has 256 Megs (larger still) but you can get 512 Megs, which covers about 1/3 of the entire of North America. If you need full on board, there's the higher end units from the series.

If you'll have it under the clear plastic on your tank bag the fact that the 276C doesn't have a touch screen is a plus.
I took your advice and checked out Garmin's site....it appears the satelite receiption if for XM only...I'd only be interested in a GPS with Sirius.......I know Sirius is dangerous to listen to riding a bike as many have fallen off their bikes laughing to hard from listening to Howard Stern, but I'll take my chances....I've email Garmin and ask them if Sirius is availible, I hope it is...otherwise GARMIN IS OUT!

I took your advice and checked out Garmin's site....it appears the satelite receiption if for XM only...I'd only be interested in a GPS with Sirius.......I know Sirius is dangerous to listen to riding a bike as many have fallen off their bikes laughing to hard from listening to Howard Stern, but I'll take my chances....I've email Garmin and ask them if Sirius is availible, I hope it is...otherwise GARMIN IS OUT!
No Sirius for Garmin... XM only...

Garmin is an XM only company

If you want Sirius you might have to go with two units (one GPS One SAT Radio)

Small start

Garmin is an XM only company

If you want Sirius you might have to go with two units (one GPS One SAT Radio)

Small start

Thanks everybody, in 30 minutes I've learned more about GPS than I ever wanted to know......What I didn't know is, how much the freaking things cost...I was totally supprised to see em up near the $1,000 range !!!!!!!!!!! And what was even more supprising was they don't even give you to option to choose Sirius ...An XM, what a waist that is... Anyway, if they think they're getting my money, They're freakin NUTS.

Think I'll buy a 50. roadmap and use it for a while longer, until someone comes up with a Sirius enabled GPS system..

Thanks guys..

I don't give a rats tail about the price.....
:blink:
And some of us think Sirius sucks moist ass cheese... :lol:
+1

XM subscriber for 2+ years. I often rent cars from Hertz and they have Sirius installed in many of their cars. I thought I was going to wear out the buttons trying to find a channel that had more than 1 good song on in a row. Different strokes....

If you're dead set on Sirius, get a communication system and pipe it through. You can also send your GPS through it so you can hear the directions (and upcoming turns) rather than reading them on the screen.

You can spend well less than $1000 for a unit. All depends on screen size and features. I have a Quest 2. Has all of the US maps installed, waterproof, and decent functionality. A bit quirky till you get used to it, but, it does the job for me for under $600.

Since this is apparently no longer true how about one of these?

Link

Makes a great starter GPS, I just sold one when I upgraded to my Garmin 2730

No Sat radio (XM or Sirius)

No Sexy woman telling you when to turn

No big bells & whistles

But....

Waterproof

Easily mounted using a techmount and/or RAM mount

Gets you back to the main roads

You can plot your tracks (record where you went) so as you are out riding without a care in the world and you happen to stumble upon an awesome road you know how to get back there again.

All for about $250-300

Read here for more info.

Since this is apparently no longer true how about one of these?

Link

Makes a great starter GPS, I just sold one when I upgraded to my Garmin 2730

No Sat radio (XM or Sirius)

No Sexy woman telling you when to turn

No big bells & whistles

But....

Waterproof

Easily mounted using a techmount and/or RAM mount

Gets you back to the main roads

You can plot your tracks (record where you went) so as you are out riding without a care in the world and you happen to stumble upon an awesome road you know how to get back there again.

All for about $250-300

Read here for more info.
Own a Tom Tom Ryder, very happy with it !

I took your advice and checked out Garmin's site....it appears the satelite receiption if for XM only...I'd only be interested in a GPS with Sirius.......I know Sirius is dangerous to listen to riding a bike as many have fallen off their bikes PUKING to hard from listening to Howard Stern, but I'll take my chances....I've email Garmin and ask them if Sirius is availible, I hope it is...otherwise GARMIN IS OUT!

There, fixed that typo for you! :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

I took your advice and checked out Garmin's site....it appears the satelite receiption if for XM only...I'd only be interested in a GPS with Sirius.......I know Sirius is dangerous to listen to riding a bike as many have fallen off their bikes PUKING to hard from listening to Howard Stern, but I'll take my chances....I've email Garmin and ask them if Sirius is availible, I hope it is...otherwise GARMIN IS OUT!

There, fixed that typo for you! :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Sigh... I grew up with Howard back home. In the old days, he was a friggin' riot. I was truly hoping that his migration to Sirius would bring back that luvin' feelin'. Alas, his show has dottled into mediocrity. Having just bought a new car with a free 3 month XM 'script, I'm converting. Too, Sirius' equipment leaves a lot to be desired... I'm on my 4th receiver.

276C here, by the way. Rock solid, even at sea! :blink:

i have no prob running both like this

144593249.jpg

I enjoyed my Quest II. I used it in my truck and then put it on my FJR. I could put it in my shirt pocket when I flew across country....if fact the maximum speed setting on my Quest showed 587 MPH after holding it against the window on one of my flights...lol.

Having said that, I sold it and just ordered a 2730 so I could listen to my beloved XM.

Ride Safe,

Ron

www.gpspassion.com

I use a samsung sch-i730 phone with inav iguidance software and a bluetooth gps.

Works Great!

Less Filling!

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on how you are going to use it. If you plan on entering addresses or finding places and using the unit to route you to them, forget the 275 series. I had both a GPS III+ and a V. Using that rocker pad to enter stuff will drive you crazy. I have 2610 with a 2gig memory and have all of N. America loaded.

If you only want it show where you are and need the bigger screen, the 276 will work fine. Garmin is coming out with a new Zulu for motorcycles, I don't know much about it yet.

If you plan on using any radio, you need a communication system like a autocom. Once you have that the only difference between having the satelite radio seperate or having it in the GPS is $5 splitter from Radio Shack. I have the GPS, radar detector, XM, CB, and phone all running through my Autocom. It works great.

Tom

I just switched from the 2610 to the 2730. The 2730 gives me xm radio and mp3 player in a waterproof format. Before, my xm and mp3 were subject to being shorted out by rain.

Plus, much less cluttered.

Best place to buy-Costco by internet. Unlimited time return policy. Wow.

Tom H.