what's the best tankbag?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirttracker30

Reaction score
What kind of tank bags are everyone running? Which brand is the easiest to use as far as filling up and expanabillity? Years ago (80,s) when I had a couple of beemers we always used Eclipse brand bags . Whats the hot set up now? Please come quick, March!!! 06 1300A on order from RJ PERFORMANCE in OTTUMWA IOWA

What NOT to Get for the FJR1300....

I purchased the ICON Urban Tank Bag for my FJR but it was too large when full and did not fit well on our tank. A friend had recommended it as he used it on his sportbike but I found it to be just in the way.....As far as recommendations I will leave that to someone else who has had better luck. I have given up the tank bag approach and I have ordered the Chicane Summit Tail Bag that sits right behind the driver and you can lean against it for a backrest (cost $ 79 - chicane-usa.com).

Eddie

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been partial to Chase Harper products.

When I bought my magnetic Chase Harper bag, I was impressed with their warranty. They said:

" The Chase Harper 100% Unconditional Lifetime Warranty - We are so convinced that our products are the best available that we back every one with an exclusive lifetime warranty. Simply stated, should any product purchased from us no longer perform as originally intended due to wear, workmanship, or even accidental damage, return it to us with postage and return postage prepaid, and we will either replace or repair it at our option for as long as you own it - no if's, and's, or but's."https://chaseharper.com/Warranty.htm
To me, "accidental damage" means crash damage, as well as idiot damage... both of which I'm capable of. Thankfully I haven't had any need to test their warranty yet, and I'm 100% satisfied with the product I got. But I have heard anecdotal evidence of acquaintences who've sent bags back to CH and having repairs and/or replacements done quickly and efficiently.

Also, I've often heard people complain about tank bags destroying the paint on the tank. I've used this bag extensively on my Suzukis and not had any issues, and I wouldn't say I'm particularly careful about keeping the tank and bag clean. My theory is that since my magnetic CH bag has an underside that's made up of an array of little raised dots, this allows any dirt and crud to nestle safely between the dots. The most recent damaged paint conversation I had was with an FJR owner who's bag used a more solid foam rubber / neoprene type pad which is in full contstant contact with the tank paint (it was a stap on type bag by Eclipse). Since I don't yet have my FJR, I won't know for sure if it's the tank bag or the paint chosen by Yamaha that was at fault. But I hope to find out for sure soon (and I hope it's the tankbag selection).

My son and I and most of our buddies have used the Rev Pak tankbags for years. I use the fullsize tankbag on my GL1200 but the Junior Tank Bags work great on the Gixxer sportbikes my son and I have and the Junior Bag also works and looks great on my '04 FJR. Even the gray color of the bag matches my FJR nicely. I don't particularly like magnetic tankbags and really like the security of the strap system used by Rev Pak. And I can take the bag off the bike in about 5 seconds. The dense soft foam used under the bag has never put a scratch on any of our bikes. Good stuff.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

www.revpack.com/motorcycl...kPack.html

I don't like tankbags because of their restrictive nature when going full on on a sportbike. So I ended up getting the smallest RKA avaliable. However, because of the more upright seating on the FJR I am planning on getting the new

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/441/

after what I read on MCNews. I hope it doesn't seat too close to my chest/chin when "going at it". with the tall bars and all...

I really like my Bagster.

Bike Johnny

It will cost though but the nice part is you will have a complete system. A complete tank protector that also doubles as an attachment point for the bag.

It is fairly compact when not fully extended but when open all the way it will hold a helmet. The side pocket for me is where I keep my ipod and cell phone. Very durable and easily off and on. Not really in your way unless you are doing very tight maneuvers say in a parking lot.

Bagster Bag

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using the Yamaha bag on my '05. It fits the tank really well and holds a ton of stuff. I'm not real pleased with the map pocket but it get's the job done for the most part.

I added bar risers and now at full turn of the bars they will touch the bag. I'm just careful when doing garage type moves.

There may be better options out there, but seeing as my wife bought the bag as a gift I'll keep it. :)

Dirttracker30,

Best? I don't know how to answer that, but I have been running the GIVI Voyager for 2+ years now, usually only for trips of more than one night with pillion, of which there have been many.

Build quality is excellent, ez on-off magnets, expands and shrinks more than I probably will ever need it to, and allows all necessary movement of bars and controls.

I do run "Tankslapper" type material under it at all times and have had no paint damage at all on the tank.

Paid about $120.00, worth it IMHO.

Have fun,

Shane

I'm using the Yamaha Bag too! It's proven to be an awesome piece of luggage. Plenty of pockets, it's large and when expanded it's huge. Maybe the only complaint I have is that because it's a bit narrow, the map pocket on the top is a bit narrow too. I've worked around it but it would be nice if it was just a bit wider. Of course that would mean the bag would be wider too which might be a drawback to the entire package.

Bottom line it's a top notch tank bag you will love.

I love my Nelson Rigg. They have a large selection to choose from and the quality is top notch. If you check the magnets every time and clear of pebbles, rocks, sand, etc., you won't be scratching paint. I've had my NR for 2+ years and use on 2 bikes and never had a scratch. NR site

I am waiting on my 06, but on my BMW R1150RT I loved the BIG MAC tank bag. It will work on the FJR and it does not touch the paint at all. It is great. I got mine from cyclegadgets.com I have no connection to them at all, except that I have bought many goodies from them. Anyways, give it a look. It lifts right up so you can fill your tank without disconnecting it. Great product. :clap:

I use the "MANTA by JOE ROCKET". It is compact and good for everyday use. It attaches to the tank with Magnets, very convenient and easy to use. When I park the bike I just take the bag in with me. It is also a good chest pillow for hunkering down and staying out of the wind while riding. A bargan for the price. Check it out!

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item....668&Division=6#

Tourmaster Cortech Mini Mag tank bag for me. Great quality, perfect size. Just bought the newer version which has a removable map pocket on top. I plan to remove the map pocket and use the underlying velcro strips for my radar detector and small GPS. If it doens't work out I still have an 11 liter tank bag that never interferes with my bar risers. Stay tuned.

George

P.S. I always use a piece of rubber shelf liner under the bag to prevent scratches. Never had a problem with scratches or magnetic adhesion. Good luck.

So Dirttrakr30, does that make the selection any easier? 15 different posters reply, and we've got recomendations for 12 different brands, and one anti-recomendation. LOL

Wear a back pack backwards. You have easy access to everything and you won't have any mounting problems. Also, I suggest trying out a front pack but wear that backwards too. In that you can store stuff that you don't have to get to in a hurry. For a finale, purchase some old military seeing glasses (the large black plastic ones) and put some tape around the center piece to ease the pressure on your nose and keep them in one piece lest something bad happen to you. :lol:

Oh, I forgot the fanny pack. Wear one on each side of the hips.

Remember, kids.....all these packs will and can work as protection when that white minivan of death pulls out in front of you. Tchuss, and good luck.

B)