What's the NUT when it comes to leathers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downn2(aka starcruiser)

Reaction score
Rather than sitting on the net for hours trying to decide what leathers are best from pics, I figured I'd ask you guys and get it straight from the horses's mouth.....

With MONEY being no object! What's your favorite cowhide?

This one's easy.......

3825.jpg

Iggy, you da man! Woot! ;) :D

@down,

Try these guys: Bates Leathers .

They do off the shelf and custom fit and designed leathers. Reasonable prices and good service. Their boots never die, either. I'm saving my pennies for a custom two piece riding suit.

I had good luck with Z Custom Leathers. If they are not right, they will make them that way. After a "get off" in 2000, they repaired my damaged leathers and they were like new. Great folks to deal with.

Iggy -- by my calculations it only took you 4 minutes to go down this deviant path........ WC will be proud :D Nice work! :lol: Just another reason I love the FJR and this sight. Jay

I personally prefer textile because leather is heavy and gets even heavier when you get them wet from riding in the rain. That said, I have been shopping with my daughter for a leather jacket for her. The Vanson jackets looks like the best ones that we have seen so far. We also like the AlpineStars jackets. She had originally picked a Joe Rocket from looking at the pictures on the web but in real life it was easy to see that the Rocket jaclets were not as durable as the others. You really have to try a leather jacket on before buying because the fit varies a lot from what size is marked on the tag.

If money is no object and you want leathers then look no further than Dianaese (sp?)

Ride Safe.

Marc

Kangaroo (Held Profi gloves rock!). But I don't know if any suits are made of it?

Check out Motoport Kevlar gear. Only fabric beside leather approved for the track.

Breathes like mesh. Add the waterproof liner and stay dry. Add the quilted liner to THAT

and stay warmer and dry. Separate pants and jackets, or one piece suits. All with armor, and lots of pockets. Machine washable. Leather sucks in the summer, and in the rain. Textile clothes(Ballistic nylon, etc) will melt into your skin in a slide. And as we get older and fatter, leather just looks WRONG.

kevlar clicky

Kushitani! West Coast outfit makes a lot of racing suits. I have a K1 jacket. Superb quality. Japanese size equilivents are a bit goofy, but they kept at it until I had one that fit with my Gerbing's underneath. Super customer service! I don't own stock and I'm in no way connected with these folks other than I had the good fortune to buy their product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a totally custom Vanson Jacket last summer. Not only fits well, but it's the coolest looking jacket I've seen. Has horizontal stripe in Yamaha Blue.

Not cheap.

Got a totally custom Vanson Jacket last summer. Not only fits well, but it's the coolest looking jacket I've seen. Has horizontal stripe in Yamaha Blue.
Not cheap.
+1 on the Vanson jackets, the Dainese are very high quality, though I'm not sure custom cut is available. If I was going with a one piece suit it would be custom made by Helimot, San Jose, CA. In the past I have also had a custom cut jacket at Johnson Leather in SFO, CA, also very good quality, though not as blingy as the Vanson or Dainese.

Don't forget that the best leather is only as good as the armour you add to compliment it. You cannot go wrong with Tpro.

Custom cut leather (IMHO of course) is the only way to fly. It will be damn near impossible to find a perfectly sized leather off the shelf.

Iggy -- by my calculations it only took you 4 minutes to go down this deviant path........ WC will be proud :D Nice work! :lol: Just another reason I love the FJR and this sight. Jay
+1 :thumbup:

Just so you know:

Leather is the skin from the outside of the animal.

Suede is the skin from the inside of the animal.

When one of the lesser talented Wall Street analysts at my wife's former firm had trouble with this concept, it sure explained why he wasn't a very good analyst!

Iggy -- by my calculations it only took you 4 minutes to go down this deviant path........ WC will be proud    :D         Nice work! :lol:     Just another reason I love the FJR and this sight.        Jay
+1 :thumbup:
So...how long have you thought a picture of a beautiful, sexy young woman in a provocative outfit was a sign of a deviant???????? :D

Check out Motoport Kevlar gear. Only fabric beside leather approved for the track.Breathes like mesh. Add the waterproof liner and stay dry. Add the quilted liner to THAT

and stay warmer and dry. Separate pants and jackets, or one piece suits. All with armor, and lots of pockets. Machine washable. Leather sucks in the summer, and in the rain. Textile clothes(Ballistic nylon, etc) will melt into your skin in a slide. And as we get older and fatter, leather just looks WRONG.

kevlar clicky
And it makes you look really racey. And if you happen to be deathly allergic to bees it will save your life over and over. See some pictured at left.