What's your favorite Helmet to Helmet communications system?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I would stay away from Starcom. Lately there have been too many folks with issues with that system.

Not me. I love my Starcom system.

If we're reading the same posts, those "issues" are user error, IMO.

Curious, How are you using your system and which system do you have? It seems like alot of people have praise for the system but seldom if ever use it two up. I've had no problems using it as a device to play my Ipod, Zumo or listen to XM thru, but as a device to communicate with a pillion, it has not worked well for me. Way to much wind noise. Could be my windshield is to short and I'm to tall, don't know. I've tried mic placement, mic replacement, changing the limited amounts of settings available with the digital system, nothing has gotten it to work the way is advertised. I'm now going to try a much larger windshield. If you have any suggestions as to how I can get rid of my user error issues, I'm all ears.
Aside from the taller windscreen (which you do need), try turning your Mic Gain settings down. I run Rider @ 40% and Passenger @ 25%. This minimized wind noise in the speakers, and made 2-up communication much easier for me.
Thats one of the problems with the Digital system. Your choices are either Hi,lo or off. I've tried every combination with the same results. At lower speeds it's okay, but once on the freeway forget it. Although I'm using the tall Yamaha windshield, I'm really hoping that a taller one will help out.

MMarsh, have you tried to adjust the mic sensitivity? That was what fixed it for me.
If you come to NAFO, I'll help you adjust it.
I wont be at NAFO, but I will be in Portland (im an Oregonian) next month for a wedding. ;) If i haven't gotten it dialed in, if it's ok, I'll shoot ya a PM.

I wont be at NAFO, but I will be in Portland (im an Oregonian) next month for a wedding. ;) If i haven't gotten it dialed in, if it's ok, I'll shoot ya a PM.
If you get it figured out, please share the info. Don't want ya feeling lonely, you're not the only one with this issue.

If you get it figured out, please share the info. Don't want ya feeling lonely, you're not the only one with this issue.

Great here I was thinking I bought the better of the two systems. Now you have me wondering??

Great here I was thinking I bought the better of the two systems. Now you have me wondering??
Every system requires dialing it in. Don't worry. You got a good system for much less money.

Every system requires dialing it in. Don't worry. You got a good system for much less money.
Gunny!

It took me a few tries to get the settings juuuuust right for my StarCom Advance. (Didn't go digital.) Now the settings are just about spot-on - Zumo, VOX with the Pillion Paparazzi, Sirius... It's all good!

Best of all - every time I changed the settings, it meant we just had to go for a ride!

I have the Starcom Advance1 and now that I have the mic sensitivity adjusted correctly it is great. For some odd reason I had to set the sensitivity on my mic to about 80% so that my wife did not hear excess wind noise and I had to set her mic sensitivity to about 20% so that I did not hear the wind noise. Why they have to be set at opposite ends of the adjustment is beyond me, maybe the pot on one is wired backwards, I don't know but it works now and I am happy with it.

Gunny!

It took me a few tries to get the settings juuuuust right for my StarCom Advance. (Didn't go digital.) Now the settings are just about spot-on - Zumo, VOX with the Pillion Paparazzi, Sirius... It's all good!

Best of all - every time I changed the settings, it meant we just had to go for a ride!

I spent 400 miles adjusting settings. Seems like the advance actually has more adjustability then the digital. If I don't get the digital dialed in maybe I'll try the Advance1.

I spent 400 miles adjusting settings. Seems like the advance actually has more adjustability then the digital. If I don't get the digital dialed in maybe I'll try the Advance1.
Again, this is the issue. You can "dial in" the Advance model. We have one, and were able to get it dialed in fine using the analog system; plenty of adjustment available. The Digital model doesn't have plenty of adjustment available. It has three settings: hi, lo and off. That's it. Not alot of dialing in possible with only the three options.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently using the Cardo Scala Rider Teamset. It has a couple of quirks but I believe it is pretty much my system that is doing it. Good price and I can use the bluetooth with my Zumo. B)

Personally, I would stay away from Starcom. Lately there have been too many folks with issues with that system.

Not me. I love my Starcom system.

If we're reading the same posts, those "issues" are user error, IMO.

Curious, How are you using your system and which system do you have? It seems like alot of people have praise for the system but seldom if ever use it two up. I've had no problems using it as a device to play my Ipod, Zumo or listen to XM thru, but as a device to communicate with a pillion, it has not worked well for me. Way to much wind noise. Could be my windshield is to short and I'm to tall, don't know. I've tried mic placement, mic replacement, changing the limited amounts of settings available with the digital system, nothing has gotten it to work the way is advertised. I'm now going to try a much larger windshield. If you have any suggestions as to how I can get rid of my user error issues, I'm all ears.
Aside from the taller windscreen (which you do need), try turning your Mic Gain settings down. I run Rider @ 40% and Passenger @ 25%. This minimized wind noise in the speakers, and made 2-up communication much easier for me.
Thats one of the problems with the Digital system. Your choices are either Hi,lo or off. I've tried every combination with the same results. At lower speeds it's okay, but once on the freeway forget it. Although I'm using the tall Yamaha windshield, I'm really hoping that a taller one will help out.
Make sure your new shield has a forward flip / lip.... I have c-baily... sounds like I'm driving in a t-top car.....

I am really interested in this topic... especially the phone part... I want blue tooth to the helmet. and auto dial through my nuvi garmin 760... anyone have an answer for me??

I just finished my first log weekend ride with my Starcom Advance1 and my wife. As an intercom it worked really well. We had a little difficulty dailing in the two iPods we had along on the trip. Her iPod work flawlessly buit we couldn't get the volume we wanted out of it. I supposed we could have tweaked the volume up a stich and them spoken more softly to one another. We got plenty of volume out of my iPod, but it must have generated some noise of some kind because it kept muting itself. So we wound up using my wife's iPod for music and put up with a little less volume than I would have wanted at speed. I imageing we'll get it all shook out eventually.