What's your recommended single malt...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Willy

It's bad, you know
Reaction score
I happen to be enjoying a very fine glass of 12 year old Balvenie Doublewood single malt right now...it's Friday and only 12:30 in the afternoon but WTH...right? :rolleyes:

belals.gif

I am curious about other single malt fanatics who might be out there on the Forum. I am also willing to lead a few others to sin. Especially those who have not ever experienced the simple pleasure of a truly fine single malt Scotch whiskey.

My favorite today is The Balvenie-either 12 year old Doublewood for its sherry finish or the 15 year old Single Barrel for its smooth palette-taken neat (no mixer). These are hand-crafted single malts brewed using ancient recipes and crafted in the old style. A marvelous experience.

Does anyone out there share this obsession? And what might you recommend?

Cheers, :drinks:

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't reached the obsession stage, but have crossed the bridge to ponying up 50 bucks for a good bottle. My state makes it a bit onerous to get anything other than what's on the shelf. The Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve has tasted pretty good to me.....especially with the special ice cube forms I bought from Moma.

I like my Whiskey to come from Ireland. I'll be sipping some Black Bush tonight that I picked up at the Duty Free shop on way back from Alaska & Canada on Tuesday. They didn't have any of the 16 year.

BushSmall.jpg

Black Bush here.....neat. Sure wouldn't want to spoil the taste with melted ice water!

jim

I really like Bushmills as well, but my favorite Scotch is definitely Aberlour. It's the dang smoothest single malt I've ever tried. That being said, it's too smooth for some.

Aberlour%2010.jpg

I really like Bushmills as well, but my favorite Scotch is definitely Aberlour. It's the dang smoothest single malt I've ever tried. That being said, it's too smooth for some.
+1. Aberlour 10 is a smooth Scotch. This is a Speyside single malt also aged for a time in first-fill Sherry casks, like The Balvenie Doublewood.

W2

+1 on The Macallan.

Except it's only 44.99 here in Tax free NH!!

For special occasions I prefer Lagavulin 16 y/o. Peat smoke in a bottle!! ;)

Most recently, it was this:

singleton.jpg

The time before that was this:

GlenDronach12.jpg

Both were good. I try to stay under $35/bottle.

I've been partial to the 18 y/o Macallan. Haven't sampled the 12.

I'll be on the road with the wife on the FeeJ in an hour headed north for Union Square in San Francisco. Tonight and tomorrow night I'll likely be in my favorite Pub, Johnny Foley's on O'Farrell Street, sampling more of the juice!

:drinks:

I have that same bottle of Balvenie in my cupboard and it has only 2 drinks left in it. Boo Hoo. Need to run to the getting place after work and restock, maybe with the Aberlour for a change.

I'm a Macallan man as well, and the Costcos here, at least in Cali, have their 12-year old for $34 for a 750 ml. :) They also have an 18-y.o. Macallan in a Kirkland label, which is still 18-y.o. Macallan, for about $58 IIRC. I usually buy the 12 because it's pretty darn close, for the difference in dough. If you're coming to WFO, keep that in mind. Eureka has a Costco about 3 miles from the Red Lion! (For comparison, our BevMo--Beverages and More--store, sells the Macallan 18 for about $120.

But since W.W. didn't put this out as a Macallan festival, and to put my own preferences in context, I'll say I like the Glenlivet over Glenfiddich, and don't really love the real smoky/peaty ones like Laphroag (or Langavulin). Still, I like to keep three or four bottles in the cupboard of various styles for variety. Right now, for example, and after checking, I'm stocking a Macallan 12, a Glenlivet 12, a Glenfiddich 12, a Highland Park 18 (a gift), and to me, the jewel of the bunch, the last third of a sherry cask finished Macallan 15. Plus one blended bottle--Asyla--from my brother in law. That one may age older than any of them, right in my cabinet. :lol:

Edit for a note to Tree Doc: Since a single malt can cost you $20, or even more, for a shot at any bar on or near Union Square, I'd consider a stop at a Costco for you, too. ;)

I happen to be enjoying a very fine glass of 12 year old Balvenie Doublewood single malt right now...it's Friday and only 12:30 in the afternoon but WTH...right? :rolleyes:
belals.gif

Know that I AM on vacation this week after-all and my riding is done for the day. Back to work Monday.

I am curious about other single malt fanatics who might be out there on the Forum. I am also willing to lead a few others to sin. Especially those who have not ever experienced the simple pleasure of a truly fine single malt Scotch whiskey.

My favorite today is The Balvenie-either 12 year old Doublewood for its sherry finish or the 15 year old Single Barrel for its smooth palette-taken neat (no mixer). These are hand-crafted single malts brewed using ancient recipes and crafted in the old style. A marvelous experience.

Does anyone out there share this obsession? And what might you recommend?

Cheers, :drinks:

W2

Si, muy Bueno! Papa Chuy

I like my Whiskey to come from Ireland. I'll be sipping some Black Bush tonight that I picked up at the Duty Free shop on way back from Alaska & Canada on Tuesday. They didn't have any of the 16 year.
BushSmall.jpg
Si, muy Bueno! Papa Chuy

Aberlour%2010.jpg
Si, muy Bueno! Papa Chuy

For the money $55.00 here, this is a good one. :eek:k:
macallan12.jpg

I prefer it over the 18 year old stuff.

:jester:
Si, muy Bueno! Papa Chuy

Most recently, it was this:
singleton.jpg

The time before that was this:

GlenDronach12.jpg

Both were good. I try to stay under $35/bottle.

Si, muy Bueno! Papa Chuy

I like Craggenmore:

Cragganmore.jpg

And on the fringe of the SM spectrum is this bugger:

laphroaig-15-year-old-ob-with-tube-82-p.jpg

And if you need a primer on SMs - this is a great book:

076240731X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

BUT DON'T ASK ME TO EXPLAIN WHY I LIKE THESE OR WHY THEY TASTE THE WAY THEY DO. I really don't have a clue. Scotch is a complicated liquid and I ain't too good with the ... oh this is a peatey malt, with tones of juniper and a hint of the sea. :p

Scoot