What's your recommended single malt...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the money $55.00 here, this is a good one. :eek:k:
macallan12.jpg

I prefer it over the 18 year old stuff.

:jester:
Gunny the Macallan. We can get it in the $40's (12 year old) in SoCal.
For price reasons, Glenfeddich and Glenlivet (not so much). Glenfeddich is pretty good for $23 (.75L) at Trader Joe's. ;)

2213.jpg
2197.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Macallans for me. It's the only single malt I've found that I really enjoy better than my favorite blended, Johnny Walker Black. Always served at room temperature with a little water.

I like Craggenmore:
Cragganmore.jpg

And on the fringe of the SM spectrum is this bugger:

laphroaig-15-year-old-ob-with-tube-82-p.jpg

And if you need a primer on SMs - this is a great book:

076240731X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

BUT DON'T ASK ME TO EXPLAIN WHY I LIKE THESE OR WHY THEY TASTE THE WAY THEY DO. I really don't have a clue. Scotch is a complicated liquid and I ain't too good with the ... oh this is a peatey malt, with tones of juniper and a hint of the sea. :p

Scoot
Si, muy Bueno! Papa Chuy

For the money $55.00 here, this is a good one. :eek:k:
macallan12.jpg

I prefer it over the 18 year old stuff.

:jester:
Gunny the Macallan. We can get it in the $40's (12 year old) in SoCal.
For price reasons, Glenfeddich and Glenlivet (not so much). Glenfeddich is pretty good for $23 (.75L) at Trader Joe's. ;)

2213.jpg
2197.jpg
Si, muy Bueno! Papa Chuy

hot-golf-girl2.jpg

this is my favorite scotch... errrrr scot
Si, mas Buena! Papa Chuy

I've tried most of the ones above and a couple others I can't pronounce but were $25 and up per shot. Age matters. Black Bush is my favorite everyday whisky. Pinch is good. But for Scotch (admittedly blended) that goes down the smoothest:

$300 a 750ml bottle locally:

JohnnieWalkerBlue.jpg

Personally, I've only had a few shots at $35 per. But a real bargain compared to the Johnnie Walker Blue George V edition at $500 a bottle. Blended from distilled spirits at distilleries open only during the time of George V; Some of which no longer exist. I gotta try some of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thats a tough scotch...er...scot to follow!!
But here's my vote:
Oban14.jpg

Reason? Smooooooooooth!

Dave
Si, muy Bueno! Papa Chuy

I've tried most of the ones above and a couple others I can't pronounce but were $25 and up per shot. Age matters. Black Bush is my favorite everyday whisky. Pinch is good. But for Scotch (admittedly blended) that goes down the smoothest:

JohnnieWalkerBlue.jpg

Personally, I've only had a few shots at $35 per. But a real bargain compared to the Johnnie Walker Blue George V edition at $500 a bottle. Blended from distilled spirits at distilleries open only during the time of George V; Some of which no longer exist. I gotta try some of that.
Si, muy Bueno! Papa Chuy

Speaking of shots of single malt, once upon a time we happened on Harrys Bar in Paris where they have over 300 bottles of the sinful stuff available. It was a very lovely, but terrible expensive afternoon. However, to this day I remember it and the next morning too well!

How about a single malt that isn't too smokey? I tend to go to the blended because of the overly strong peat smoke of most of the single malts I've tried.

I may be a little strange however, as every time I drink Bushmills it's a given I'll have a headache, and that's only a shot or two.

I like Craggenmore:
Cragganmore.jpg

And on the fringe of the SM spectrum is this bugger:

laphroaig-15-year-old-ob-with-tube-82-p.jpg

And if you need a primer on SMs - this is a great book:

076240731X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

BUT DON'T ASK ME TO EXPLAIN WHY I LIKE THESE OR WHY THEY TASTE THE WAY THEY DO. I really don't have a clue. Scotch is a complicated liquid and I ain't too good with the ... oh this is a peatey malt, with tones of juniper and a hint of the sea. :p

Scoot

I prefer this book:

https://www.whiskyclassified.com/

JohnnieWalkerBlue.jpg

You should be able to find that under 200$..... really smooth for sure. I keep a couple bottles.... :)

I like scotch. Tend to bring a bottle on big bike trips to share with the boyz. First ride of the year involved a bottle of Macallan 12, Montecristo's, and bringing my own glass tumbler..... :)

4261769113_e2d1acd869_b.jpg

Most recent trip involved a bottle of Glenlivet 12 and a handful of Juan Lopez & Romeo and Juliets. Yum! I REALLY like the Glenlivet 18, but the 12 is a great value (~25$)

4560585736_3b14c6a0e1_b.jpg

I tend to like the sweeter ones, polished off a Dalwhinnie last weekend.

4656086444_ee237f6b4a_b.jpg

However, GF picked up a couple Tobermory bottles on a recent trip to the UK. Slightly peaty, good intro to the Islay style.

4674537205_a0d290ff19_b.jpg

Something I'd recommend folks, try some strawberries (no sugar) with whisky. Frickin' awesome.

4586115793_9fd9080bd1_b.jpg

Moving up the ladder.... went for a Talisker to get a bit more into the Islay. Takes a couple sips to get into it, but really turns quite tasty.

4589161212_7f4926d67c_b.jpg

ahhhhhhhhhh... brings tears of joy to my eyes

Anyone know of an online retailer with decent prices that will ship to UTaaaaaaaaaaaaaah?