Wheeldock impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAJW

Reaction score
Just received a new Wheeldock (model #3) wheel chock for the FJR and it fits and works great. Pics show plenty of clearance and I'm planning on mounting it on a trailer to help facilitate rescues I've been called on for occasionally. It looks to make loading and securing a snap on a trailer and holds the bike fine for detailing and maintenance. I haven't yet mastered the release solo as I don't yet trust myself to stand to the side of the bike to press the release lever down. So far I have been releasing it by sitting on the bike and having the Mrs. press down and lock the release lever. Very secure set up, giving it a thumbs up so far just in case anyone is thinking of getting one, looks to be a quality piece of work and made in OK to boot.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

I've had mine for about 5 years now I think and it's been great for all that. Use it in the truck for hauling and in the garage for torquing steering bearings, etc

and holds the bike fine for detailing and maintenance.
What's wrong with the centerstand????

I haven't yet mastered the release solo as I don't yet trust myself to stand to the side of the bike to press the release lever down. So far I have been releasing it by sitting on the bike and having the Mrs. press down and lock the release lever.

Looks like a nice piece of equipment, but this here would be a deal breaker for me. If I can't use it by myself then it has absolutely no value to me.

and holds the bike fine for detailing and maintenance.
What's wrong with the centerstand????
Nothing, didn't get it for that, but is still handy. Mainly got it for transporting a variety of different bikes either on a trailer or in the pickup.

I haven't yet mastered the release solo as I don't yet trust myself to stand to the side of the bike to press the release lever down. So far I have been releasing it by sitting on the bike and having the Mrs. press down and lock the release lever.

Looks like a nice piece of equipment, but this here would be a deal breaker for me. If I can't use it by myself then it has absolutely no value to me.
I made that comment so that possibly some current owners of a Wheeldock would enlighten me as to their method of dismount. I can release the Wheeldock just fine on my DRZ and Trials bike, but the FJR is a bit too much for me to balance with one hand and roll back at the same time. Any others have this system and care to share their methods?

Bump for comments from experienced users how they dismount their FJR from this device.
Just because the gas lift wheel capture thing releases doesn't mean the bike will just flop over. It's still pretty well captured in the device. I just stomp the gas lift thing down while holding the handlebar and it's done. I then sit on the bike and extract the wheel the rest of the way, easy as 1-2-3. I use this thing precisely because I can do it myself.

Bump for comments from experienced users how they dismount their FJR from this device.
Just because the gas lift wheel capture thing releases doesn't mean the bike will just flop over. It's still pretty well captured in the device. I just stomp the gas lift thing down while holding the handlebar and it's done. I then sit on the bike and extract the wheel the rest of the way, easy as 1-2-3. I use this thing precisely because I can do it myself.
I bought a Wheel dock as a means of securely transporting my FJR on a trailer from PA to CO and back. It worked beautifully. The other MCs on the trailer had tiedowns going every which way and they still were moving while my FJR sat serenely quiet and never moved.

In the garage, I slowly drive on to the WD, dismount and step on the gas cylinder release while holding onto the left side of the handlebar . When mounting, I first step down on the gas cylinder compression lever, mount and pull the FJR back. I have never had a problem. I am 71, have lower back problems exacerbated by using the FJR cernter stand. I use the WD all the time: effortless and painless.

Thanks 20valves and Slardy, just the kind of feedback I was looking for. I have race deck flooring in my garage which is NOT a good thing to have when using the Wheeldock. I'll find a way to secure it and try the methods you guys mentioned.

...you guys can always park next to a tree with about the same effect.....

um, jes' sayin' and nuff' said...........