Wheelies - Do you?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowAviation

Reaction score
I was at a light today in the wrong lane for my onramp today and planned on pulling out

in front of the cager in the right lane, he percieved my fast accelleration as a challenge to

race to the onramp and gunned it. My only option to keep in front was to open the throttle,

while in 1st and around 8k RPM the front wheel started to rise about 6".

It surprised me as I didn't know the FJR was capable of throttle induced wheelies.

I don't intend to do any "real" wheelies but I was wondering, has anyone actually ridden a

wheelie on an FJR?

I was at a light today in the wrong lane for my onramp today and planned on pulling out in front of the cager in the right lane, he percieved my fast accelleration as a challenge to

race to the onramp and gunned it. My only option to keep in front was to open the throttle,

while in 1st and around 8k RPM the front wheel started to rise about 6".

It surprised me as I didn't know the FJR was capable of throttle induced wheelies.

I don't intend to do any "real" wheelies but I was wondering, has anyone actually ridden a

wheelie on an FJR?
I don't make it a habit, but once in 5th going over some short rolling hills about 80 I pinned it and the front end carried about 6-8" off the ground all the way to the bottom. I was impressed (however, I'm easily impressed), but there are plenty of avatars on this board that show some serious daylight under the front tire, so hopefully they'll post up.

I never intentionally pulled a wheelie on the FJR, but I do get the front wheel up under power every once in a while. When it happens I back off a little and set it down gently. I don't like it when the steering gets that light.

This person seems quite enamored with FJR wheelies.

Once in a while I get a bit of daylight under the wheel, but prefer not to risk drama and pulling a skooter. ;)

Intentionally. No.

Has it happened? Oh ya. My fav was on, I think, my last ride of this year. Paul on his new VMax, Bruno on his C14 and me on the FJR. It all started sedately enough. Go for a little ride around the outskirts of town. Next thing I know, were at a set of lights on a 4 lane. I can see Paul looking up and down the crossroad and behind him. Their was NOBODY around. I'm in the outside lane, Paul on the inside, Bruno behind him. Light goes green, I'm ready for it. But Paul just kind of weenies away from the light.

"Hrm?"

So I weenie away from the light.

"BWAAAAAAAHH!!!!!" Mr. VMax pins it. Back tire is being annihilated .

Right.

I'm about 3500rpm, just getting ready to shift into second. **** IT

I feel the front end get light around 6000 or so. I'm quickly beside Paul whose back tire is smoking furiously.

I'm passed him as I shift into 2nd around 8500 or so. Front end drops and the rises up again.

I hear Paul bang second, I catch of a glimpse of VMax still burning its back tire, Paul slightly crossed up.

Long story short. Paul caught and passed me at about 100mph. I got out of it in a big hurry. Paul just kept going. Rearview mirror show Bruno keeping up, but back about 100'.

We got off the bikes after hooning around for a while and the first words out of Bruno's mouth were "That thing really fucking GOES!" pointing at my bike.

[sigh]... is it Spring yet.

A few times, a little 6" or so power pull. Once while finishing a left turn onto the highway. I didn't know I knew how to steer a wheelie!! (Haven't tried any more, but . . . . .)

I've never gone out and tried to wheelie; it just happens sometimes when you get into it extra hard.

My only option to keep in front was to open the throttle,
I would like to point out that while nailing it might have been your only option to keep in front, keeping in front wasn't your only option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a special road around here that I don't share with anyone from this forum..

It is perfect for lofting the front end, making you look like a hero for the cameras..

..just be sure to have a smoked visor so no one see the true terror in your eyeballs..

I have a special road around here that I don't share with anyone from this forum..It is perfect for lofting the front end, making you look like a hero for the cameras..

..just be sure to have a smoked visor so no one see the true terror in your eyeballs..
I'll show you mine if you show me yours. (forgot, Busta reads EVERYTHING!) I'll share my secret road's location for effortless wheelies, if you share yours.

I have a special road around here that I don't share with anyone from this forum..It is perfect for lofting the front end, making you look like a hero for the cameras..

I'll show you mine if you show me yours. (forgot, Busta reads EVERYTHING!) I'll share my secret road's location for effortless wheelies, if you share yours.
You're on! Oh wait, BustaNut, cool down Bubba, he ain't on you, it's a matter of expression!... :lol:

True dat. The big girl can really get your attention. Like yourself, I rode dirt bikes since day one. Sliding or wheeling a 200lb dirt bike isn't a big deal. Doing the same on a 700lb land yacht DEFINITELY is.

True dat. The big girl can really get your attention. Like yourself, I rode dirt bikes since day one. Sliding or wheeling a 200lb dirt bike isn't a big deal. Doing the same on a 700lb land yacht DEFINITELY is.
Yebbutt....

Some members "gots skillz". :clapping:

Some members "gots luck". :huh:

Most members "gots ego". :crazy:

The problem is that when reality strikes, it either hurts or is expensive, or both! :dribble:

Scoot back on the seat, sit up straight -get air...Slide foward on the seat, lean foward-burn rubber.. Need to be about 5 grand in first to do either..Either way watch out she don't bite you..

Just curious, has anyone ever shifted into second with the front wheel up and rode for a hundred yards or more ?

I know it would take a fine touch and exquisite balance....

I have seen many video's of first gear, but never in second...

IMHO you would have to be one the pegs and balancing her to pull it off...

And No, this does not mean that it is some kind of a challenge for experienced riders to go out and try...

:blink:

Just curious, has anyone ever shifted into second with the front wheel up and rode for a hundred yards or more ?
I know it would take a fine touch and exquisite balance....

I have seen many video's of first gear, but never in second...

IMHO you would have to be one the pegs and balancing her to pull it off...

And No, this does not mean that it is some kind of a challenge for experienced riders to go out and try...

:blink:
I have a friend who used to ride his V-max on the back wheel.

NO, I'm not going to let him try it on my FJR!

I've HEARD that if one shifts from first gear to second gear while close to red line that the front will loft for some distance. Perhaps one of our drag racing members can offer insight.

I have a friend who used to ride his V-max on the back wheel.NO, I'm not going to let him try it on my FJR!

I've HEARD that if one shifts from first gear to second gear while close to red line that the front will loft for some distance. Perhaps one of our drag racing members can offer insight.
What I am talking about (roughly) can be viewed here: Hayabusa (bad) wheelie

In this case the rider stays seated (not recommended), and as you say he shifts at or near red-line (again not recommended), what I am talking about is once the front comes up easing off the throttle a bit use leg leverage to shift to second and keep both feet balanced, tracking the front wheel straight, then carefully key the revs up with balance, and when bringing the front wheel back down keep throttle about the same and gradually apply a wee bit or rear brake to set the front down gingerly, but only with the rear wheel tracking straight as well as the front (to prevent a tank slapper)

Like I said very difficult to do without practice (risky to health and wallet as well) but it can be done. I have seen video's of wheelie trainer's but never with an FJR, and I trust it would not be the same in the real world... The idea that you are balancing roughly 600+ lbs that can go wrong in a hurry is offset a little by being as smooth with your inputs as possible.