Wheels paint.?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dealrocker

Reaction score
A friend of mine recently bought a 2004 FJR and he is planning to paint the wheels. Curious to know how many of you have painted your FJR wheels and what it cost to do this task.? Whats the use of a power-coat job.?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Powder coating is probably your best way really. It's much more durable. I do custom powder coating. The only problem with wheels is if the factory finish needs to come off because of chipping or pitting then it's sort of a tough job and it's usually easiest to take it to a media blasting company unless the powder coater you choose has a good setup. (most pro shops do).

You're probably looking at anywhere from $50 per wheel up to $150. depending on what you wanted done and customizations etc.

I just powder coated my 2008 wheels black (from silver). It was quite easy and PCing is the way to go. The actual cost of PCing was $125 through a local PCer here in Seattle. I needed to buy some new bearings and seals to do the job properly. I also paid to have the wheels disassembled and reassembeled since I am not a patient and or skilled mechanic. All told- it probably cost me $200 to $300 bucks. To me PCing is the way to go and the cost was not too high for me since I really wanted black rims on my 2008.

Good Luck!

Scott

I hit a rock in Idaho and bent both wheels. To straighten them heat is applied which will ruin the original finish. I also believe when they scan for cracks or micro fissures, they may destroy original finishes. Anyway, the wheel shop is set up to do powder coating, too. I had my '03 wheels colored to match the engine cases. Straightening was $100/wheel, powder coating an additional $50/wheel. They put a tough clear coat of some kind over the powder coat and that finish has a couple of drip flaws, but otherwise the finish is brilliant and has held up very well. But always be aware of ham-fisted tire change guys at the shops - they'll gouge and scrape the hell out of anything.

This past weekend I saw an 03 with black rims, and thought that would look killer on my 04! It's very tempting to PC the rims black.

I just powder coated my 2008 wheels black (from silver). It was quite easy and PCing is the way to go. The actual cost of PCing was $125 through a local PCer here in Seattle. I needed to buy some new bearings and seals to do the job properly. I also paid to have the wheels disassembled and reassembeled since I am not a patient and or skilled mechanic. All told- it probably cost me $200 to $300 bucks. To me PCing is the way to go and the cost was not too high for me since I really wanted black rims on my 2008.
Good Luck!

Scott
How about some photos?

Rick

Who Is this garauld dood? :blink: An will he succeed with this powder coating thing? Why I bet he "might " be able to weld a mean paint gun too..

Somebody know how to spell the dreaded S word fer chissakes?????

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
Powder coating sounds cool, but I think I'll go riding on my original colors rather than spend time with powder coating. I guess if I lived up north where it's starting to get cold and had a couple hundred bucks to spare, it would look good to make them Yamaha blue to match the bike.

Powder coating sounds cool, but I think I'll go riding on my original colors rather than spend time with powder coating. I guess if I lived up north where it's starting to get cold and had a couple hundred bucks to spare, it would look good to make them Yamaha blue to match the bike.
Do it during your next hurricane!!

I took a different twist. I stripped off the original powder coat on the wheels and buffed out the aluminum. Looks beauty- full. Cost? Five pounds of elbow grease and about four hours.

Bananas!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do it during your next hurricane!!
I think I jinksed myself, instead of riding this morning, I'm watching it rain.

Good Luck!

Scott
How about some photos?

Rick
Here you go!

719180916_YTzC8-L.jpg

719180887_wUNiV-L.jpg

Good Luck!

Scott
How about some photos?

Rick
Here you go!

719180916_YTzC8-L.jpg

719180887_wUNiV-L.jpg
zenwhipper,

those wheels look tight!!! :coolsmiley02:

Barry

I bought a spare pair of wheels for my '03. The second set was also black. I stripped the paint off and now just keep them clean with a Scotchbrite pad. Very nice brushed aluminum; no fuss, no muss.