When do you consider it to be to hot to ride?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, being that I only ride for fun, after today I'd say the magic number is 92. Sounds wimpy but I left for a ride this morning and the temp was 92. A half hour out I turned back for home thinking this sucks!

I saw 106 on the DIC yesterday coming home from work. No issues. Temp gauge just over half way. This baby runs alot cooler than my ZX14!

With the new PC5 upgrade, I`m riding this one more and more.

You definitely acclimate to the environment you live in...and in my case I don't have much choice, as my bikes are my means of transportation. The worst is when dealing with a rapid temperature transistion, such as I when I came back from Colorado a couple weeks ago right into record high temps. I have seen "ambient" temps as hot as 122*...

I'm diabetic and last year the insulin in my pump degraded after 7hrs in 103 degrees. Sugar level went sky high.

ATTGATT on my daily commute!
biggrin.png

Sheeit, man....EVERYONE knows those frickin' bank temp displays are ALWAYS 10 to 12 degrees high in the summer, and 10 to 12 degrees low in the winter.

...and in my case I don't have much choice, as my bikes are my means of transportation...
Oh man......time to find a old KIA RIO or HYUNDAI ACCENT with A/C for those unbearable Phoenix Summer days!!
LOL, I am actually on the hunt for an old Jeep Comanche, as I don't have a truck currently, and could use one again now that we moved...

Sheeit, man....EVERYONE knows those frickin' bank temp displays are ALWAYS 10 to 12 degrees high in the summer, and 10 to 12 degrees low in the winter.
That one is usually within a few degrees of weather.com. We can see it from our office so I've checked it from time to time.
biggrin.png

Went back and checked, official high at Dallas Love Field that day was 106F. Figure there's always several degrees temperature variance around the metroplex and that bank sitting in the middle of all the concrete jungle, along with usually reading a couple of degrees off and it's right about where I expected it to be.

It sure felt every bit of 114F sitting on the tarmac in traffic all ATTGATT.
biggrin.png

That was the miserable summer that we came within 1 day of tying the record for most consecutive days over 100F. We did set the record for triple digit days though at 71. Ugh, this summer has been MUCH better.
biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Check here CLICKY

The numbers down the left side are the ambient air temp.

The numbers across the top are the humidity.

The colored numbers found throughout the chart are the "feels like" temps. Over 100=stay home or use the cage for most guys.

Gary

I live in the High Desert.... there is no high temperature I won't ride in... have ridden in Death Valley with temps just over 120 degrees F.
weirdsmiley.gif

On the other end of the spectrum, as long as it's dry, there is no low temp I won't ride in, either... lowest I ever recall was 4 degrees F on my old Honda ST1100 back in '98. Now, if the relative humidity/moisture levels are high enough, I don't ride below freezing temps... hard to see black ice at night.

Well, not a record but in early June retuning from a ride to Silver City, NM all was well until we got to Baker, CA and the temp went to 118F. That held until we were just south of Ridgecrest or about 110 miles of misery. The most discomfort was a burning feeling on my knees. When I got to the hotel and removed my jeans it looked like a bad sun burn!! The bike ran great and the temp never rose above five bars.

have ridden in Death Valley with temps just over 120 degrees F.
weirdsmiley.gif
Sometimes ya gotta consider the alternatives. I'd rather be riding my motorcycle in death valley than reliving this nightmare in the Mojave in friggin July.

Ah, but how hot can it get and your wife still will ride with you? My wife rode with me again in over 100 degree heat with high humidity Tuesday as we headed down 125 from Missouri into Arkansas. I think she started getting dehydrated going across the ferry but we stopped on the other side to eat and cool down. I only brought one hyperkewl vest this trip so she got that one. She came up with a trick that helps a lot for a short while - she puts ice in our bandanas and we wrap them around our necks. It feels like your neck is on fire for about 30 seconds and then you get happy.

I think we'd both rather be extremely hot than fairly cold. Good gear makes the heat bearable. If I had to be stopped a lot, I don't think I could do it, though.

I rode down to central inland NSW, (Australia) to visit a mate.

I thought it was hot when temperatures hit 40 but latter on that day, was riding in 47 degrees C, about 115 F ???.

The tar in the bitumen was floating to the surface of the road, tar all over the bike, and you could smell the road kill way before you could see it.

The wetted gloves and shirt were dry within a few minutes, my eyes burnt with the glare and hot wind.

Even the AC in the motel room that night couldn't cope, the heat radiating through the bricks.

Last summer a bunch of us got together for a huge BBQ down in San Antonio. Nearly every one of us was jumping in the hosts pool in full gear before mounting up to ride home in the triple digit heat of the July afternoon. It felt nice, and then when the gear started to dry off I hit a little rain storm that re-wet everything. Made the first of four hours very pleasant.

...and in my case I don't have much choice, as my bikes are my means of transportation...
Oh man......time to find a old KIA RIO or HYUNDAI ACCENT with A/C for those unbearable Phoenix Summer days!!
LOL, I am actually on the hunt for an old Jeep Comanche, as I don't have a truck currently, and could use one again now that we moved...
I just happen to own an '87 Jeep Comanche long bed. It's got AC and I'm running out of old parts to replace! Four inch lift and most of the mechanical stuff is new. Just needing to do the body and interior now.