where did my vibration go?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramblin Man

Reaction score
I've done throttle body syncs, retourqued the engine bolts etc.. and almost eliminated engine vibes but like any 4 cylinder some remained. Right around the 4K rpm mark that we all know and love.

Well I took my first real ride of the season today and it was really weird. My 4K buzz is gone. It's now the smoothest part of the rev range. Glass smooth. Electric smooth. My winter mods include Leo Vince cans, PCIII USB (currently loaded with a zero map with the O2 sensor still plugged in), The Galfer rotors front and rear, SBK pads, and T-Rex sliders.

I know I say this at the beginning of every season, but man this thing is faster than I remember. I took a scenic route following the Ohio River and got behind two bikes and two cars going at a very scenic pace. I can only imagine the look on the lead riders face as I warped past him. He was a blur to me. I cracked open the throttle and the afterburners must have lit up because it was like being on a rocket.

Now it's time to decide what map to load.

Last edited by a moderator:
I warped past him. He was a blur to me. I cracked open the throttle and the afterburners must have lit up because it was like being on a rocket.
Your poetry deserved another post, that's all....

I love that when that happens.

I am not familar with the PCIII, at 'zero' is it still managing FI better than the Yamaha OEM?

I am not familar with the PCIII, at 'zero' is it still managing FI better than the Yamaha OEM?

No it shouldn't be doing anything right now. The Zero map is just all zeros in every cell so it should just be repeating what the stock set up is.

I had the tank up when I was charging the battery and installing the sliders and I figured I may as well get it all installed at the same time. However I had 6 month old gas in the tank and I wanted to run that out before loading a real map so I just loaded up the zero map.

Everyone was going really slow today. Like 40 miles an hour slower than me. I had to keep applying the brakes and dive from lane to lane. Very squidly indeed.

I am also familiar with the 4k buzz on my 04

I bought an 03 that had a PCIII installed and there is no BUZZ at ALL! Of the changes, even with the zero map, i'd bet on the PCIII for the difference.

I have done everything..twice...and still have bad vibs. PCIII USB useing different tunes, torquing, syncing you name it..my luck I guess.

Cary

I have done everything..twice...and still have bad vibs. PCIII USB useing different tunes, torquing, syncing you name it..my luck I guess.
Cary

Have you done Torch's unofficial TBS? That was the one that did the most good. Did that years ago. After that the vibes were almost non-existant. The 4K vibes were still there but almost gone.

I will totally agree that after either not riding much in the winter or having another bike to commute on makes the FJR feel faster and smoother than one can remember. I took some longer rides late winter in Ca. and thought I had bought a new bike over the winter. This bike rocks!!!!!!!!!!! It hard to believe that it will be 6 years in late July since i bought my '03. Six great problem free years with great people in this community.

I've never had any problem with smoothness, But I hear that's the map to use. However, I'd like more up on top so if anybody has one of those "combo" maps that uses wally's numbers down low and some power numbers up top I'd like to see it.

Latest posts