Where to find...screw for saddle bag lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Mc

Reaction score
Where can I find a replacement screw for the locking mechanisim of my saddle bag. There are two screws that are very small that hold the lock in place. I am sure someone else has had to replace one of them. I should have said that I have already checked with the dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't need to be the "anti-theft" screws, take one of the originials into your local hardware store and match it to a Philips headed one. Then use Loktite to stop it falling out (and all the others).

Since you don't have an FJR (you might want to change that in your profile) and don't tell us where you live (you might consider adding it)--I can tell you that Tacoma Screw and Fastener 1 mile from my house in Pasco, WA has them.

But, I'm guessing you're not my neighbor. So, the generic answer is that most any decent fastener place will have nice little stainless steel fasteners like this. I *think* they're an M3x7.

Alternatively, try a search on something like saddlebag lock repair site:fjrforum.com at Google and you'll see various discussion about Torx bits.

Don't forget the LocTite. ;)

m16-x-3-stainless-a2-allen-cap-head-machine-screw-x-10-spn-095-099-10.jpg

I would suggest a place like Fastenal CO but not knowing even what country you live in you may not have one locally.

I would have to say the considering turned into a purchase long ago. Long enough for the screw to evacuate. I think that took my bike almost a year, but the dealer hooked me up with a screw that worked. Thank God for locktite.

When mine decided to run off and find a new home. Philjet09 told me to go to my nearest Hobby Shop where I found exactly what I needed. They had every tiny size you could imagine. :)

i went to lowes , they have drawers with speciality screws - which this is considered and there they were ( i must confess i had to ask a store guy to help me but was quick)

I was not so lucky to loose just the screw last summer, I lost the whole lock assembly somewhere is Minnesota on the way to visit friends in Spicer. When I returned home my local dealer order me the lock set because they don't sell just one lock. Lucky for me it was covered under extended warranty. I installed new lock with locktite and checked other side to find it was ready to do the same so it got the locktite treatment. No problems now and I have 2 extra locks just in case.

Wasn't "loctiting those bag lock screws" in the FAQ for years now?

Shame on long time members if they don't mine all the good stuff on this board...it's frickin encyclopedia around here if you can get past the goddamn swearing.

I was not so lucky to loose just the screw last summer, I lost the whole lock assembly somewhere is Minnesota on the way to visit friends in Spicer. When I returned home my local dealer order me the lock set because they don't sell just one lock. Lucky for me it was covered under extended warranty. I installed new lock with locktite and checked other side to find it was ready to do the same so it got the locktite treatment. No problems now and I have 2 extra locks just in case.
If that was the dealer that supplied your FJR, he should cough up for the lock cost. He should have Loctited the screws when he assembled the locks into the bags.

Bag fitting instructions supplied in the bags include the line:

WarningAlways apply agent (LOCTITE TM) when fastening the Torx screws.
(Click on image for larger view)

And, did they put on the 3 protective stickers around the mounting holes (also supplied in the bags)?

"And, did they put on the 3 protective stickers around the mounting holes (also supplied in the bags)?"

I always wondered what those stickers were for. Thanks.

"And, did they put on the 3 protective stickers around the mounting holes (also supplied in the bags)?"
I always wondered what those stickers were for. Thanks.
Again, fitting them is described in the instructions supplied with the bags.

(Click on image for larger view)

It seems many dealers employ juvenile guerrillas who can't read to assemble bikes that they're selling.

Last edited by a moderator: