Where to mount digital camera

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
Looking to add a ram mount system to hold my digital camera, mainly to snap a few shots while I am riding, from front view and both sides if possible. Not sure where the best location and setup is, to get max visibility and cut down on vibration.

Here's my current setup and options:

N/Line shelf (space available in middle)

Heli Triple clamp risers with ram mount base (but a mount would have to clear N/line shelf)

Right now, I am leaning towards the 6" ram mount extension, mounted to my Heli Triple clamp., hopefully this will be long enough to clear over the N/Line, and still allow me to do side shots.

Any thoughts?

I just did a ride with a Ram Mount attached to the left unused mirror hole. I blew through Yucca Valley at "greater" than legal speeds. I have the short mount (3.5 inches) to keep the deflection down and the pictures had very little distorsion shooting through the windshield. Keep the physical weight of the camera low and there should not be any problems. On the next go round I'll mount a small video camera and swing it outside the windshield.

I just did a ride with a Ram Mount attached to the left unused mirror hole. I blew through Yucca Valley at "greater" than legal speeds. I have the short mount (3.5 inches) to keep the deflection down and the pictures had very little distorsion shooting through the windshield. Keep the physical weight of the camera low and there should not be any problems. On the next go round I'll mount a small video camera and swing it outside the windshield.

Got any sample photos?

Dave,

I have a Ram Ball mount on my triple clamp bolt, they have a flexable arm mount 6",9" and 12" # RAM PF585-6 for 6" give me a call and I can give you more details, the N-Line shelf bounces too much.

Marcus

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe at 4theriders.com recommends the tank as it has the most vibration damping on the body. Triple tree has tons of vibes and many other locations aren''t too good for the cam. Bullet cams for video offer some other places to mount, but for a digi-still-cam get a mount that attaches to the gas tank filler and an extension to raise it high enough to shoot over the instruments...

Dave,
I have a Ram Ball mount on my triple clamp bolt, they have a flexable arm mount 6",9" and 12" # RAM PF585-6 for 6" give me a call and I can give you more details, the N-Line shelf bounces too much.

Marcus

Cool, will holler this week to check out your setup. Can't do the gas tank setup since my Motech bag is on the top.

Just got back from my first run with a video camera mounted on the left handlebar mirror mount hole using a 3" ram extension, and the vibration was not bad, but I couldn't get far enough left or right to avoid the distortion from the bends in the windshield. Also mounted a ram ball using a "u" bolt on the rear grab rail facing the camera backwards. That mount worked very well with good clarity and no vibration evident in the video. Still trying to learn to edit the vid and will post up pix one day when I fiure out how to do all that.