Where to put plug for gerbings liner?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric L

Not that kind of a doctor
Reaction score
Not even sure how to search the forum for this. I have a fuzeblock under my GenII seat. Would you use the default connections for the liner? Where would you put the darn plug on the bike?

:lol:

I'm watching this one since you might have saved me starting my own thread

I bought the jacket liner on the weekend hoping to wear it home from Freeport by plugging it into my Fuzeblock. No dice.

I need some kind of adaptor to connect the Heat Controller to the Fuzeblock plug.

Or a different plug from the Fuzeblock?

Or connect it directly to the battery. Which is what I was trying to avoid by installing the Fuzeblock.

:glare:

didnt the vest come with a cable for wiring to the battery with a plug on one end for the controller? I think it comes with the vest, not the controller.

:lol:

I'm watching this one since you might have saved me starting my own thread

I bought the jacket liner on the weekend hoping to wear it home from Freeport by plugging it into my Fuzeblock. No dice.

I need some kind of adaptor to connect the Heat Controller to the Fuzeblock plug.

Or a different plug from the Fuzeblock?

Or connect it directly to the battery. Which is what I was trying to avoid by installing the Fuzeblock.

:glare:

The connection is your choice, either direct to the battery (with an in-line fuse) or through the Fusebock will work fine. It would be better/safer to run the connection from the "switched" power source, i.e. only active when the bike is running, to minimize the chance of leaving it on and flattening the battery.

Most connection wires that are included with the liner have round terminal plugs to enable easy hookup to the battery terminals, so if you're going to connect this wire to the fuseblock which will likely have spade connectors you'll need to replace the existing terminals with female spade connectors.

In terms of location of the plug/connector, this is quite a subjective thing. I for example simply have mine coming out slightly to the left from b/w the seat and the tank (actually the silver plastic cover around the back, bottom). Since my Warm & Safe heated jacket has the wire on the left side that works best for me. This is configuration is also good because it's not permanent, so for most of the year the power wire is tucked away under the seat.

I put two Powerlet outlets (female) under the rider's thigh/butt attached to the bracket that holds the left pillion peg. I then got a Powerlet pigtail from Gerbings (~ 12" long w/ male Powerlet plug on one end and Gerbings power connector on the other) for each jacket (rider's and pillion's) which connect into the Powerlet outlets. I plug the power cord of the Gerbings controller into that pigtail, which plugs into the Powerlet outlet.

I have a Fuzeblock under the seat running switched accessories, but I also have an unswitched Radio Shack barrier strip under the seat. I chose to hook the Powerlets into the unswitched barrier strip, primarily since I intended them to serve multiple purposes. I also use the Powerlets to hook up to the Battery Tender when it's in the garage, and to run my small air compressor for inflating flats after repair -- I think it's a 10 or 15 Amp fuse I installed inline to the barrier strip.

Unswitched isn't a problem when I dismount the bike -- I usually unplug the Gerbing's controller cord from the pigtail, so the jacket isn't heating.

Lots of ways to do this, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um.... thanks guys. But you might as well be speaking estonian to me :(

Here's my little problem: the 2 plugs on the right are coming from my Fuzeblock; the one on the left is coming from the heat 'troller on the jacket.

I need SOMEthing to connect the jacket plug to one of those Fuzeblock plugs (why are there 2 of those anyway?)

1073787306_ESrft-M.jpg

Really no need to switch heated gear power, because you never leave it on the bike. When you walk away it gets turned off, one way or another. :D

My Rule Of Thumb for placement of electronics and power...

Keep rider connections forward of the rider and passenger connections aft of the passenger. It helps keep the "saddle positions" free of entanglement.

Use a 16 ga. fuzible link at the battery positive terminal to 14 ga. red wire.

Run the wire through some heat shield across the engine compartment.

Use a Powerlet socket with a ATM mini fuse holder near the socket. Drill a hole in the left fairing for the mounting the Powerlet socket.

Ground the socket to one of the available chassis lugs on the left side of the frame (6mm bolt hole) using a short length of black wire with loop terminal on the end.

Cut a "U-shaped" opening in the adjustable fairing panel to provide clearance for the Powerlet socket and its cap when the panel is in the closed position.

It makes an awesome power outlet for heated gear and/or things like USB chargers for your cell phone.

USBpower002.jpg

The total system should consist of a harness that came with the liner, hooks up to battery or fuseblock, and has what is called a female coax power connector. You plug the HeatTroller into that, then the other coax connector to the liner. If you do not have the aforementioned harness, you can buy a coax socket from Radio Shack, but you would have to solder wires onto it, then run those to your fuseblock. Warm&Safe sells the identical one for $8.95 called a DC Power Coax Panel Mount. Usually, these ones have to be mounted into a drilled hole in a panel, but they might have one that may not need a panel mount. The only other way is to buy a harness from Warm&Safe or Gerbing, and these will have the nice molded rubber covering over them.

I advise hooking up to a fuseblock, as I have seen some of the Powerlet sockets melt when used with heated gear (which is very strange, because there's no way you would think they would melt).

This is the cable with coax jack for hookup to your fuseblock (you supply appropriate connectors)

https://www.warmnsafe.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_77&products_id=214&zenid=pluqtm88j8uvtegj5gp7gkma80

MEM I don't know what those two are on the right, look like some kind of connectors for audio equipment that perhaps someone has (incorrectly) adapted for some kind of power supply (I assume you didn't install those).

MEM I don't know what those two are on the right, look like some kind of connectors for audio equipment that perhaps someone has (incorrectly) adapted for some kind of power supply (I assume you didn't install those).
Thank you! You assume correctly. I did not install those; my mechanic did. And I'm wondering if that's my problem - ie wrong plugs coming from Fuzeblock. Will check that out.

Jeezers. THIS is why my most sophisticated farkle is a Crampbuster :blink:

Thank you! You assume correctly. I did not install those; my mechanic did. And I'm wondering if that's my problem - ie wrong plugs coming from Fuzeblock. Will check that out.

Jeezers. THIS is why my most sophisticated farkle is a Crampbuster :blink:
There shouldn't be any plugs coming from your fuze block just wires connected to it for your various accessories. You need a heat troller conected between your liner and fuze block so you can control the temp.

Something like this.

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/461/10894/ITEM/Firstgear-Single-Portable-Heat-Troller.aspx

There shouldn't be any plugs coming from your fuze block just wires connected to it for your various accessories. You need a heat troller conected between your liner and fuze block so you can control the temp.

Something like this.

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/461/10894/ITEM/Firstgear-Single-Portable-Heat-Troller.aspx
Thanks, Kev. That's exactly what I have. But then....what's that crap coming out of, presumably, the FuzeBlock?

If I can get it hooked up, I want to try it out. I may take a run down to see you and AM. And Gypsy :D

Something like this.

Thanks, Kev. That's exactly what I have. But then....what's that crap coming out of, presumably, the FuzeBlock?

If I can get it hooked up, I want to try it out. I may take a run down to see you and AM. And Gypsy :D
Come on down anytime. I haven't talked to Gypsy inn a while, I sent him an email when I bought my new bike but have not heard from him.

Thanks for this thread! It's certainly timely as the temperature is quickly dropping. I'm charting out my own approach to some heated gear and looking at a Gerbing jacket and glove liners to replace the Stich warmbib I used last year (not great for extended journeys IMHO). So far, I'm looking at the kit to pop a Powerlet plug (direct wire to battery with inline 15A fuse) into the blank where the heated grip controller would be on an AE and run my gear wire from there. No Fuzeblock...yet, haven't electrically farkeled enough to need one.

I think i am going to wire the Gerbings cable to the fuzeblock and route it to the left side fairing and through a rubber grommet. I think that's the perfect place for it. Forward, but not at the front of the bike.