Where to shop for gear?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 28803

Ridin' and smilin'
Reaction score
Ok, so I need new boots. My wife also needs boots and wants new gloves. What I'd really like is a shop where we can try on a variety of gear and find a good fit.

My local dealer (Big #1 in Birmingham, AL) has a relatively skimpy selection. Is there a store in my general area we can incorporate into a ride on Saturday? I'm thinking Birmingham, AL - Atlanta, GA - Chattanooga, TN areas, more or less.

Oh, and another day we could hit places west and south of B'ham too. Basically want to do the run in one day and we leave just east of Birmingham do that's as good a start point as anywhere.

I've found BMW dealers often carry a good selection in the way of touring gear. I may not end up buying from them unless the price is competitive, but a good place to touch and size.

Thanks, that's exactly what I want. I don't expect to find competitive pricing, lol, but that's ok. I usually order online anyway but being able to touch some things could eliminate returns.

I'll check out the BMW places online too. I wish dealers in general had more interior photos on their websites. At least I could get a feel for their inventory that way.

Thanks, that's exactly what I want. I don't expect to find competitive pricing, lol, but that's ok. I usually order online anyway but being able to touch some things could eliminate returns.

I'll check out the BMW places online too. I wish dealers in general had more interior photos on their websites. At least I could get a feel for their inventory that way.
My local BMW stealer closed it's doors last year... I will always give to the locals a chance to compete for my business.

Problem is... Now I have nothing local.

I'd rather help out the locals too but they're rarely competitive. I will give them a chance to get close to what I can find online. Big #1 matched on a pair of gloves for me last week. I paid higher taxes but I gave them the business.

The BMW joint I used to pass in B'ham closed but it looks (per the interwebz) like they're still in town at a different spot. I'll check them out on my way home Thursday. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's a conundrum for sure. Local business vs. Internet, and throw in trying something on and seeing and feeling the quality vs. guessing at sizing or tracing your hand on a piece of paper or trying to run a tape measure down your leg while standing and sitting, etc., etc. There are some things I really can't buy without seeing them in person first--like gloves, boots, or helmets, especially, where fit and feel are critical.

It's worth a try, if you see a better price on line for something you know you want, to give a local place a chance to compete for your business, too.

There is a Cycle Gear store in Trussville AL. They have a lot of stuff and some specials going on. They had a good deal on some boots for the wife but didn't have her size. You could always go in and try some things on.

The problem I found is that you can usually get better prices on the Internet, but you can never try on the brands that are offered by the other sellers. A large jacket by one manufacture may not fit the same as another.

I bought some TexPort jackets at Pelham PowerSports in Pelham AL and was happy with the fit and price.

Mike, the worst they can do is say no. And, yeah, with gloves, helmet, and boots I'd rather try them first. If its not a good fit I won't wear them and I'm not really in to throwing $$ away ;)

Pegsparks, I'm a dork. I shoulda known about Cycle Gear in Trussville - I guess that tells you how long it's been since I bought new gear. :D I'll definitely be checking them out; maybe Pelham PS too. Thanks!

My local dealer is aggressive at price matching internet stuff (excluding closeouts of course). It's always worth a shot in asking. In fact, I buy lots of stuff locally after I've searched the net for the lowest price and ask the stores to match it. Could be that I used to sell cars.

I was going to recommend Cycle Gear. I usually go to their store in Louisville then buy it through their AAFES (PX) website because that way I get a discount (military) and I don't pay shipping or taxes.

I'll definitely give the locals first shot - if they have what I want.

AAFES for Cycle Gear? Cool. Ive been out too long for that (USN 90-94) but that's pretty cool.