Where to store your helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drhixson

Reaction score
Hey all.. I have an 06 R1 which I love to death... Only thing is, I replaced the rear seat with Yamaha's seat cowl, since I will not have any passengers. I also removed the rear foot pegs. Interestinly enough, even though it is a Yamaha part, the new rear seat cowl does not have a spot to hook your helment up to. I hate having to carry my helment with me into the office every day but seems like I dont have a choice.. anyone else in this situation? I thought about packing a bunch of zip ties in the small storage area under the rear seat cowl and just using that to secure the helment, but that means having my pocket knife to cut the tie each time I want to take a drive...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all.. I have an 06 R1 which I love to death... Only thing is, I replaced the rear seat with Yamaha's seat cowl, since I will not have any passengers. I also removed the rear foot pegs. Interestinly enough, even though it is a Yamaha part, the new rear seat cowl does not have a spot to hook your helment up to. I hate having to carry my helment with me into the office every day but seems like I dont have a choice.. anyone else in this situation? I thought about packing a bunch of zip ties in the small storage area under the rear seat cowl and just using that to secure the helment, but that means having my pocket knife to cut the tie each time I want to take a drive...
I don't know how you or others feel but I have never used a helmet lock ever.

I know as a kid I knew guys that would cut them off just to be jerks, making the helmet a complete worthless hunk of junk.

I take mine in with me and I know it is safe. Just one less thing to have to worry about.

My Harley friends leave their little pans and half helmets on their bikes but they really wish someone would steal it.

Plus the zip tie thing just seems silly and ugly to me.

Just my 2 cents

yea I see your point, but this past weekend was a perfect example.... I rode my R1 to a bike show on Saturday, and my delima was wear my helment for the ride there and carry it the entire time, or dont wear one at all... I agree the zip tie idea is pretty lame... but sometimes it is just a bear to have to carry the helment. I guess it could really do either way though..

yea I see your point, but this past weekend was a perfect example.... I rode my R1 to a bike show on Saturday, and my delima was wear my helment for the ride there and carry it the entire time, or dont wear one at all... I agree the zip tie idea is pretty lame... but sometimes it is just a bear to have to carry the helment. I guess it could really do either way though..
Were others guys carrying theirs around?

It is a pain but would you leave ($150-HJC or $500 Shoei) the money just lying on your seat? To me it is money and I will save myself the money and carry it around or if I don't want to carry it around drive my truck :D

What will you do with helmet locks, when your helmet doesn't have double-D?
What will you do with your helmet when I cut off the strap?

May not happen much but it will only take once for you to get really pissed off.

Your house won't get broken into every time you leave it unlocked but it may eventually happen.

What will you do with helmet locks, when your helmet doesn't have double-D?
What will you do with your helmet when I cut off the strap?

May not happen much but it will only take once for you to get really pissed off.

Your house won't get broken into every time you leave it unlocked but it may eventually happen.
Sorry, bad spelling, I meant how to use those locks, if your helmet has quick release fastener?

Have you considered using a gun lock like the one below? Its a cheap lock that you could store under the rear seat (if you have any room) and then just loop it through the chin bar and some other portion of the bike.

0070115010000_500X500.jpg

Have you considered using a gun lock like the one below? Its a cheap lock that you could store under the rear seat (if you have any room) and then just loop it through the chin bar and some other portion of the bike.
0070115010000_500X500.jpg
I have one or two that they make you buy when you buy a gun that anyone is welcome to. I hate them myself.

When I go on long trips I also use a gun lock- Hey sometimes you can get them for free from a police department- They work great also for Jackets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one or two that they make you buy when you buy a gun that anyone is welcome to. I hate them myself.
You either have a gun safe, or no kids ;)
Gun safe. I do keep them from my daughter, even though I take her shooting.

Plus I don't want someone to break in and steal them, easily.

However once I open the safe I don't want a safety on the gun or a lock to get in my way. Even at the range I never use the safety. Safe handling of the gun itself insure no accident. Relying on a safety is not my preference. There are those who will disagree with this but if I ever had to use my gun in self defense I don't want one more thing to think about...

The gun cable locks look like a great idea, and I been tosin em in the trash. If I can't find any laying around the shop I guess I'll have to buy more guns.

I was thinking about using a snowboard lock. It is basically a retractable cable that locks. If needed, you could run the cord through other items as well. They are small and easy to carry.

https://www.shop-of-snowboarding.com/shopit...board-locks.asp

Just another low budget solution to a simple problem. The thing I like about his is it would be less likely to have the strap cut to steal the helmet (stupid theives rendering the helmet useless).

I carry a gun lock and have used it a couple of times. If you don't want to risk having someone cut the D rings off then you could get a longer cable lock and put it around the chin bar. Lowes had a pack of three cable locks all keyed to match in a package for less than $15.00 last week. Not much harder to carry than a gun cable lock but had a better lock on them and a longer cable. I didn't buy them but I might if they are still there next time I'm in the store.