Which GPS To Buy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painman

Reaction score
Ok, I've been busting my rear trying to figure out which GPS is the cats meow for use on the bike and the truck. I've looked at reviews here and on the web and have concluded that for the FJR and my vehicle its come down to either the 2720 or the 550 Zumo Garmin. I know alot of folks are using the Zumo with good success but I like the viewing screen a little larger. I don't think I need XM radio nor do I have a BlueTooth phone so I guess the 2720 would be just as good as a 2820 in that respect. But not really sure about that. Now I've heard more positive feedback on the 376c or 276c Garmin Chart Plotters used for the street but they don't have the voice prompts to turn by turn which I want, but they have better graphics. The Zumo's accept data cards but the 2720, 2730, or 2820 do not accept data cards but not sure how important data cards are? But the 2720 and the Zumo have multiple routing which I want and the 376 and 276 does not. See how confusing this is. HELP! Any of you Garmin experts got any good ideas? Pleeeeeeeeez. PM. <>< :blink: :blink: :blink:

My vote PM, Zumo 450/550. I have the 550 and have been very happy with it. If you don't think you want/need XM and Bluetooth get the 450 and save some $$$$.

JW

Ok, I've been busting my rear trying to figure out which GPS is the cats meow for use on the bike and the truck. I've looked at reviews here and on the web and have concluded that for the FJR and my vehicle its come down to either the 2720 or the 550 Zumo Garmin. I know alot of folks are using the Zumo with good success but I like the viewing screen a little larger. I don't think I need XM radio nor do I have a BlueTooth phone so I guess the 2720 would be just as good as a 2820 in that respect. But not really sure about that. Now I've heard more positive feedback on the 376c or 276c Garmin Chart Plotters used for the street but they don't have the voice prompts to turn by turn which I want, but they have better graphics. The Zumo's accept data cards but the 2720, 2730, or 2820 do not accept data cards but not sure how important data cards are? But the 2720 and the Zumo have multiple routing which I want and the 376 and 276 does not. See how confusing this is. HELP! Any of you Garmin experts got any good ideas? Pleeeeeeeeez. PM. <>< :blink: :blink: :blink:
I have had both the 2730 and the zumo 550 on my bike. The zumo is much more motorcycle friendly.

The 276C does indeed have voice prompted turn by turn. There is a speaker in the power cord that plugs into the ligher adapter. Also, the power cord on the bike has lead to hook voice prompting to your helmet. Really, I just finished navigating all over NJ with it. It definitely has voice prompts. Would assume the same from the 376C.

I cannot comment on multiple routing as I'm not sure what it is. Is multiple routing, navigating more than 1 route at a time? Not sure I understand why that would be done.

Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't offer much help because it's my first GPS, but so far the 2720 will do everything I'd hoped for & more.

276 & 376 support multiple routes and give spoken directions, though they do not pronounce street names.

IMO Zumo is a pale competitor to the 276 series, but is interesting if you aren't a power user.

276 & 376 support multiple routes and give spoken directions, though they do not pronounce street names.
IMO Zumo is a pale competitor to the 276 series, but is interesting if you aren't a power user.

would you mind expounding on this? What power user features does the 276/376 have that the Zumo does not (other than the whole marine chart plotting thing)?

I have a 2720 on my bike and it seems to do all that I need it to do. IIRC, it has been discontinued by Garmin, I believe.

If I were going to replace the 2720, I would probably go w/ the Zumo 450.

My $0.02.

I have had both the 2730 and the zumo 550 on my bike. The zumo is much more motorcycle friendly.
What is meant by "more friendly?

what happens when you Do have a bluetooth phone?
Anything could happen, good advice.

The 276C does indeed have voice prompted turn by turn. There is a speaker in the power cord that plugs into the ligher adapter. Also, the power cord on the bike has lead to hook voice prompting to your helmet. Really, I just finished navigating all over NJ with it. It definitely has voice prompts. Would assume the same from the 376C.
I cannot comment on multiple routing as I'm not sure what it is. Is multiple routing, navigating more than 1 route at a time? Not sure I understand why that would be done.

Heidi
As far as multiple routing, it allows one to program in multiple stops using address, intersections, points of interest, etc. and it will sort them out for you in order, ie, quickest time traveled, using freeways or not, toll roads etc. Like for use on a trip or for use in delivery.

I'm still learning, the info I looked at on the 376c didn't mention the voice prompts. Now I know it does I'm liking this unit more.

I'm still trying to sort the importance of a unit that uses a "data card" vs one that doesn't. And thanks for all your input and I guess its just a process of elemination to get to the right one especially from first hand knowledge as by our members here. Thanks again, PM. <>< ;)

Thanks Painman... now that I know what it is, I think the 276C does indeed do that. That would be like creating a route on the fly... as in creating waypoints & linking them together. I know that you can do that on the 276C.

I really like mine. It was ultra easy to learn to use since I previously had a POS black & white GPS V. Similarly used buttons w/ lots more function... plus it was color! I like that almost more than anything else.

I've never used the Zumo but have played w/ a friend's Zumo a little. Looks like a nice unit.

Edited to add: as far as car/truck usage, there is a nice bean bag mount used w/ this unit. I had it on the dash of a Ford Explorer & it didn't slide once over a 6 day user period... & we all know that Jersey has a lot of jug handles, roundabouts, etc. & the speaker for voice prompts is loud (I had to turn it down). This was my first time using it in a car & it worked great.

Also, I think the biggest difference between pre-loaded detailed maps/database & a memory card for detailed maps/ database is associated to cost. Not sure on this point, either... but that just makes good sense.

Good luck with your decision. Hope you get what you're looking for.

Can't go wrong with the Zumo 550 as far as motorcycle features. Perfect for the FJR. I would comment that tt isn't the greatest to use in a car (suction cup mount weak speaker) I was able to plug into into my stereo Aux port in my car for more volume, which served the purpose. If you have no plans for car use, better yet.

I did have the mounting base warp on me, but Garmin was quick to replace w/o a hassle. No customer service complaints.

Good luck shopping and researching,

-JE

I have the 450 and it does all that I need and for me it works well in the car also.

The short answer: Zumo is great for all purpose usage and good enough for rallying. If you're a serious, hardcore rally rider you'll want something else.

The long answer: For all-purpose motorcycle use you can't beat the Zumo. I love mine. Pick the 550 if you want Bluetooth or to run it in your car. It also includes text to speech, but that's not worth the differential in $$. I have owned both a 450 and a 550, should have bought the 550 right off the bat. I've owned motorcycle GPSes since 2004 and the Zumo is my favorite.

The Zumo is not a great unit for rallying. It's good, just not great. Its biggest weakness as a rally GPS is the inability to show your custom waypoints (i.e. bonus locations) at higher zoom levels. You have to be zoomed in pretty far to see them. This is a real issue when you're trying to see the "big picture" in the midst of a rally. Also, because it has so many features, you wind up paging through screens you don't need, just to get to what you do need. It doesn't allow you to customize the screens like some of the older Garmins. For rally use that is an important feature. With all that said, I've ridden two rallies with my Zumo and did fine. In a rally, it's not your GPS that makes or breaks you.

Well, I made my decession and pulled the trigger on a Garmin StreetPilot 2720. Reasons are mainly price and then function. Bought the 2720 for $380.00 vs. the $643.00 for the Zumo 550, $530.00 for the Zumo 450, and $460.00 for the 276c but with the 276c model I would have had to buy and install the City Navigator Maps for $140.00 bringing it up to $600.00. And two features I like about the 2720 is it has text to speach so I can keep my eyes on the road for the street and uses street names (especially for use on my deliveries in the van), instead of just "turn right ahead", and has multiple routing up to 50 routes or way points, alerts to points of interest etc.

And even though this is a new unit but older model, it comes with the 2008 version of City Navigator already installed. Thus no downloading involved, just plug and go. Has a larger viewing screen than the Zumo's and I can down load future up grades for the software and mapping. So for a savings of over $200.00 to just under $300.00 I figure I did good. And I really don't want or need XM or Bluetooth. To much distraction what with everything else going on.

So thanks for the info and I should not be getting lost as much as I use to and can now plan my rides, fuel, stops, and motels, etc., even at home if need be because it comes with the AC adaptor, (the unit has no batteries), as well as a bunch of other goodies, windshield mount and bean bag mount for the car, protective cover, remote control, PC/USB cable, 12V cable with external speaker, and I also purchased a hard protective case designed to the unit with mount and cable installed so I can take it to the bike, pickup truck or my delivery van without damage. So the only thing left to get is I believe its called a Tech Stem Mount for the bike, I believe that's about $70.00. Take care, PM. <>< :yahoo:

Holy crap! $600.00 for a GPS 276C? I bought mine used & it was less than $250.00.

Don't forget this.
Thanks tstaff, I'll be ordering the mount and power cable and also a Tech Mount from BikeEffects from here on the board.

Holy crap! $600.00 for a GPS 276C? I bought mine used & it was less than $250.00.
Scary luvtoride about the prices isn't it. Amazon.com was the cheapest anywhere I could find on any of the units. The 276c Garmin on most sites starts out at $600.00 and then you have to buy the mapping for whatever your needs are. Just for use on the street you have to buy City Streets Navagator which is $139.95 and download it and only Garmin sells the maps for their units. And if you wanted to use the 276c unit on your fishing boat as well, you would have to purchase the maps for your area you fish in. It gets pricey in a hurry. Amazon was the cheapest I could find, the 276c unit with the City Navagator was $600 totlal.

I got the 2720 total package was $379.00 new not rebuilt and I think I got the last unit as they are no longer available on Amazon. The 2730 sells for $799.00 and the new 2820 sells for $723.99 so I think I got a deal IMO considering its a StreetPilot. Also I don't like to use a phone when riding and only listen to music on the ipod or cd player on longer trips so I don't need XM or Bluetooth. So when the new unit arrives I can figure which length Tech Mount I need and then will order up from Jeff. Take care, Del. <>< :yahoo:

Latest posts