Which GPS To Buy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely staggering!

Well anyway, I'm really happy to hear that you got what you need. I understand the cost of the Zumo. Wasn't really aware of the 276C pricing. That's why I don't have a Zumo. For sure, it's not cheap for the ultimate touring toy. That's why I bought a used one.

How do these units hold up in the rain?
If your speaking of the StreetPilots, they are made for the weather, just like the Zumo's and the Quest models listed in the motorcycle catagory. The 276c is listed under the "Chartplotters" catagory. These are listed as "waterproof" and motorcycle friendly. And are listed as a "motorcycle" GPS. Here is a breakdown on the StreetPilot 2820 on the Garmin site. This is the newest StreetPilot model, same family as the 2720....Garmin 2820. PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks tstaff, I'll be ordering the mount and power cable and also a Tech Mount from BikeEffects from here on the board.
Also; Techmount has a short mount available that won't show up when you search FJR 1300 on the techmount website.

10998M

Found this web site selling Zumo 550 for $600 shipped.

Linky

No affiliation or experience with this vendor though they get high ratings here:

Linky-2

Have not been able to pull the trigger yet. I may try and live with my Streetpilot C550 for another year first. The prices have to keep going down, right?

I added one of these to my stem stand to hold the 2720...
Touratech Locking Mount
BP, you say you mounted this unit to your stem stand to hold the GPS, are you saying you mounted to a Tech Mount? Or can this touratech locking unit be mounted directly to the bike? I really like the features and looks on this. PM. <>< :unsure:
IIRC, that is correct. The stem stand replaces the stem nut. And, the plate of the stem stand does not match up exactly w/ the Touratech locking mount. I had to enlarge or drill a couple of new holes to make the match-up. The locking mount probably will not deter a determined thief but it gives some piece of mind during times when I'm away from the bike for short periods of time...like, lunch stops. Also, I carry a small nylon bag I got at a backpacking store and sometimes cover the GPS during breaks...I call it my "out of sight, out of mind" security! :laughingsmiley:

This is a fairly common set-up and I'm sure you can find pictures w/ a search.

I added one of these to my stem stand to hold the 2720...
Touratech Locking Mount
BP, you say you mounted this unit to your stem stand to hold the GPS, are you saying you mounted to a Tech Mount? Or can this touratech locking unit be mounted directly to the bike? I really like the features and looks on this. PM. <>< :unsure:
IIRC, that is correct. The stem stand replaces the stem nut. And, the plate of the stem stand does not match up exactly w/ the Touratech locking mount. I had to enlarge or drill a couple of new holes to make the match-up. The locking mount probably will not deter a determined thief but it gives some piece of mind during times when I'm away from the bike for short periods of time...like, lunch stops. Also, I carry a small nylon bag I got at a backpacking store and sometimes cover the GPS during breaks...I call it my "out of sight, out of mind" security! :laughingsmiley:

This is a fairly common set-up and I'm sure you can find pictures w/ a search.
Had found it bout the time you posted up, thanks brazos. And I will be talking to Jeff at BikeEffects as well before I make the setup. Take care. Painman. <>< :D

This is going to be a real "for what it's worth" comment, but you can sure spend a TON of money of some of these units, so I think it's worth it to take a minute and really think about how you'll be using it, and for what. I bought a Garmin C330 "Street Pilot" some time back for the car and it's great for the needs I have (cost about $200). I decided I'd like a unit for the bike on some trips, and ran up against that ugly price thing. Sheesh! So thinking about it, I won't be riding along watching the screen, won't be typing instructions into the gadget as I ride, don't listen to music while I ride, don't talk on the phone when I ride. Can't really hear the voice commands over the engine and road noise through the helmet. Frankly, all I really need is to be able to stop and check which way to go next or find my way back to my course. So I bought a mount for the C330. Snap it off and put it in the bag or a pocket if I leave the bike or if it rains.

For those looking for an inexpensive unit, a freind has one of these and it seems to work quite well:

https://tinyurl.com/2ujs48

You can find them in the $150 range. There are software upgrades about that make it a better choice than a Nuvi 220 (I am told...) and comparable to higher priced units. The unit itself is small...read that as thin, so can be stuck in a pocket easily.

Good reviews available online.

KM

For those looking for an inexpensive unit, a freind has one of these and it seems to work quite well:https://tinyurl.com/2ujs48

You can find them in the $150 range. There are software upgrades about that make it a better choice than a Nuvi 220 (I am told...) and comparable to higher priced units. The unit itself is small...read that as thin, so can be stuck in a pocket easily.

KM
The Mio looks/sounds pretty cool, couldn't see any mention of it being waterproof, or did i miss something? Could you pls ask your friend if the mapping software (the equivalent of Garmin's MapSource) lets you save and overlay the route on the US map on the PC?

Thanks.

For those looking for an inexpensive unit, a freind has one of these and it seems to work quite well:https://tinyurl.com/2ujs48

KM
The Mio looks/sounds pretty cool, couldn't see any mention of it being waterproof, or did i miss something? Could you pls ask your friend if the mapping software (the equivalent of Garmin's MapSource) lets you save and overlay the route on the US map on the PC?

Thanks.

The above forwarded to him, and his reply:

The Mio is not waterproof. The software out of the box (none for the computer) is pretty standard on the unit. It is a bargain basement unit.

But hacked... It is one damn fine unit. I use the hacks found on this site https://c230.wordpress.com/ for my unit. The POI's are weak too, but I've loaded updated maps for the states I plan on going to and create my own POI lists that I convert to files that the MIO can read.

It doesn't have anything equivalent to the Garmin software. The Garmin software is top shelf and I don't think anyone else is even close. But I can, because I hacked it, download my tracking data and convert it to a Google Earth map.

For what I could afford at the time, the Mio is a great unit. But it is not for everyone. A lot of people might find it lacking. But since I love techie shit, I force it to do what I want it to do and I'm satisfied.

When Garmin comes out with a motorcycle GPS that I like and if it was affordable, then I would look at buying one. Until then, I'm satisfied with my $150 text to speech Mio C230.

I don't think this has been mentioned, but Garmin's website lists the 450 as not having the feature of speaking street names. I currently use a basic Nuvi--out of site--and the spoken street name feature makes that posible. I will probibly upgrade to another unit sometime, but what I own now is paid for... Anyway, I would say the 450 does not save you that much considering it drops more features other than xm and bluetooth.

John

KM

Thanks.
I have the Nuvi 350..see my above post. Its mapping software is very good. If you are looking at a unit that allows you to download routes and not just poi's then you are going to need a much more expensive/sofisticated unit than the mio or nuvi. None of the nuvi's will download routes. But if you find a gps that has the features you desire and it is not waterproof, check out Ram Mounts' aqua boxes. I will be getting one for my xm radio and phone. Most gps' are pretty thick, so this may not be an option. Just thought I'd mention.

Found this web site selling Zumo 550 for $600 shipped.Linky
That's a good deal. PM. <>< :D
You might want to read the store reviews here before you pull the trigger Painman !!

https://www.resellerratings.com/store/Camera_Addict
Thanks for that heads up Dave. I have already bought the 2720 through Amazon and I remember the post you mention about Camera Addict although I didn't buy from them.

I just mentioned in the post FredW had mentioned that the $600 pricetag on a Zumo 550 was a good deal.

I'm really looking forward to the 2720 as it will do everything I need to do on the bike, in my work van, and in my personal vehicle. Some of the reviews on the web even say the 2720 and the 2730 has had better service than the new 2820.

I don't need or want XM or Bluetooth. And with the 2720 I can mount it up to the short TechMount...Short TechMount...and use this plate to help eleminate vibration issues to the unit with this...Vibration Base Mount..and hard wire the unit to the bike with this....Hardwire Kit..which will allow me to use the audio out feature to run an external speaker, either on the bike or to a headset to the helmet. The 2720 does not have an external speaker jack as the 2730 does as does the 2820 units. So this will kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks for the info though and take care, Del. <>< :D

Found this web site selling Zumo 550 for $600 shipped.
Linky

No affiliation or experience with this vendor though they get high ratings here:

Linky-2

Have not been able to pull the trigger yet. I may try and live with my Streetpilot C550 for another year first. The prices have to keep going down, right?

Camera addict has several bad write ups on the Zumo forum. Seems that price is so low because they only want to sell you the GPS unit and nothing more, they want extra for the rest of the stuff that comes standard with the Zumo 550. I have no personal dealings with them, just passing on some info as I too am looking for a good price for a Zumo 550.

Latest posts