Which Horns are preferred for FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDanDC

Reaction score
Are the Magnum blasters still the King of Horns for us. I dont want them to say please. They need to say GET THE BEEEEEEEPPP OUT OF THE WAY! If you know what I mean. Whats the scoop?

I could go for Train Horn! That would do the trick. Then all I would need is a swiveling PIAA light for my helmet.

Which ones fit the FJR, if you're serious.

Happy with my Magnum Blaster, they make a hell of a noise :blink:

Easy to install, specially with the electrical harness. ;)

Did you read this thread? For me, NAPA Freeway Blasters. Plenty of noise, no cutting to fit. One high tone, one low.

I bought some Magnums. They looked big & of lesser quality than the Fiamms. I stuck 'em in my Land Cruiser.

The Highlander needs some better horns. Eve almost got backed into by a lady who didn't hear her horn. She had to throw it in reverse and get out of the way. Funny part is, she was leaving me a voice mail at the time, so I have it recorded, along with her colorful response. She almost dropped the phone :glare:

It'll be getting a pair of Blasters soon. And she gets yet another lecture about cell phone safety...

If you like simple and are content with inflicting only temporary deafness on anyone who offends you, consider the Stebel Nautilus Compact (www.stebel.it -> Products -> Electropneumatics -> Nautilus Compact Series). Click the fat speaker icon but be sure and turn the volume waaay up first so that all your neighbors call hear. One place to buy (comes with a relay) is California Sport Touring.

Which ones fit the FJR, if you're serious.

Seriously????

ALL aftermarket horns require SOME trimming of the inner fairing panel to fit properly AND safely.

Although I sold plenty of wiring harness for them, I finally, recently got the chance to do more than a few installs of various horns on various year FJRs.

Even the thinner bodied FIAMMS will stick out into the fork travel area if not allowed to mount as high up and outward as possible. Even though they're thinner, they're still the same diameter as the Magnums. Both horns need to be tucked into the inner fairing and mounted at 45 deg. to the radiatior.

As far as mounting the Compact Nautilus for max output, you'd need to split the two components and mount each in the factory horn locations. Not as "piece of cake" as it sounds, with a LOT of fabricating involved to get the two pieces tucked in enough to not interfere with fork operation.

I learned the hard way, having my own Magnum blaster lock the fork in a permanent right turn after a high speed stop. Tore up the underside of my fairing trying to pull it back straight, nevermind the damage to the fork brace dust shield. I went back and tucked those bastards as far up and outward as I could get them!

This isn't at all possible to do without cutting the inner black panels.

You didn't state which year you have, but check out this before you make a horn choice. You'll see how the Freeway Blasters look when properly mounted.

Just ordered my Freeway Blasters from NAPA yesterday, they had the high tone but not the low. I noticed that the forest rats would jump away from the road if I gave a blast from the stock horns. Maybe I can give them a heart attack with these horns. Already got Randy's horn harness, great product by the way, so I'm good to go.

Bill

+1 on the Stebel with Randy's wiring harness ... cellphone-talking, mommy-van-driving cagers get the f**k outta the way!! :nono:

JW

I noticed that the forest rats would jump away from the road if I gave a blast from the stock horns.
If you think the stock horns scare deer better, then get a set of these. I didn't like the motorcycle sound they produced, so I put 'em in the Corolla. They're loud!

I noticed that the forest rats would jump away from the road if I gave a blast from the stock horns.
If you think the stock horns scare deer better, then get a set of these. I didn't like the motorcycle sound they produced, so I put 'em in the Corolla. They're loud!
Interesting. Seems they are space saving compared to the blasters. Wonder if inner fairing trimming is necessary with them.

Those FH90's sound real loud too. Kinda like an old Mercedes. I tried those, Magnums, Freeways, and the compact Nautilus on mine.

The FH90's are a good choice if you like that Mecedes sound. They're sure loud enough to get the job done.

Sorry to disagree FJRandy ... No trimming required with the Fiamm Freeway Blasters on my 06.

Previous models should have even more room. I just bolted them up using the FIAMM bracket and bent it slightly backward and angled abit. Fits nicely but not touching the radiator or the inner fairing plastic. Out of the way of the forks, even at full compression and turned. I've even done some fairly fast fire roads with alot of fork and handlebar action and never had the horns move or touch anything.

There is no need to rim if you bend the FIAMM bracket and use the stock mounting hole.

Those FH90's sound real loud too. Kinda like an old Mercedes. I tried those, Magnums, Freeways, and the compact Nautilus on mine.

The FH90's are a good choice if you like that Mecedes sound. They're sure loud enough to get the job done.
Was inner fairing trimming required? Are they more compact then the others?

Interesting. Seems they are space saving compared to the blasters. Wonder if inner fairing trimming is necessary with them.
They sit in just about the same spot as the stockers. But they still require the relay setup for best results. They are plenty loud, but still sound more like a motorcycle than something that could take out the offending cager. Go stick your head out the window, I'll blow them at 1:00 pm PDT, then see if you can hear 'em from where you are. Please allow for speed-of-sound travel time
wink.gif

They sit in just about the same spot as the stockers. But they still require the relay setup for best results. They are plenty loud, but still sound more like a motorcycle than something that could take out the offending cager. Go stick your head out the window, I'll blow them at 1:00 pm PDT, then see if you can hear 'em from where you are. Please allow for speed-of-sound travel time
wink.gif
No trimming necessary?