Which Horns are preferred for FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed that the forest rats would jump away from the road if I gave a blast from the stock horns.
If you think the stock horns scare deer better, then get a set of these. I didn't like the motorcycle sound they produced, so I put 'em in the Corolla. They're loud!
Interesting. Seems they are space saving compared to the blasters. Wonder if inner fairing trimming is necessary with them.
No trimming necessary?
That's correct, no trimming.

Thanks for all of the info! That would be a real bummer to have the horns hit the shocks in the turns or bumps. That little jewel of info will save a few faceplants for me :lol:

I'm thinking that it will be worth the surgical procedure on the '05FJR to make room for the horns.

What about adding two Stebels and not pulling them apart? Anyone tried that yet?

Toe, I read the article you posted above. Thanks. Dan

Sorry to disagree FJRandy ... No trimming required with the Fiamm Freeway Blasters on my 06.Previous models should have even more room. I just bolted them up using the FIAMM bracket and bent it slightly backward and angled abit. Fits nicely but not touching the radiator or the inner fairing plastic. Out of the way of the forks, even at full compression and turned. I've even done some fairly fast fire roads with alot of fork and handlebar action and never had the horns move or touch anything.

There is no need to rim if you bend the FIAMM bracket and use the stock mounting hole.

Don't worry, it'll get you when you least expect it. Of course, I sure hope not for your sake.

1st myth....."previous models should have even more room". Uh uh. The outer width of the fairing on the '06 is slightly wider, but the inner panels fit tighter. Pre '06 fairing is a little narrower with more room in the inner fairings. Ends up a tighter fit than the '06 after all is said and done.

I have installed THREE sets of Freeway Blasters on THREE '06's, and EVERY one came way too close when just fitted into the little indent where the stockers go. I cut the FIAMM brackets and drilled new holes to match the identical length of the factory horn brackets so the new horns would fit in the same location and not hang too low. And all three had no fork brace installed. I can't imagine how close they would come to hitting a fork brace installed on the '06.

I too, bent the FIAMM brackets to clear both the inner fairing and the radiator. ALL THREE TIMES the customer was right there with me, testing to see just how close the forks would come to hitting the horns at full compression and a slight turn. All three didn't like what they saw, and agreed to trim the inner panels to get the horns as far away from the forks as possible. This actually works better on the '06 because the overflow tank is now on the left side of the radiator out of the way. '05 and older, it was on the right side, interfering with horn placement.

If it could have been done with enough room to SAFELY clear the forks, not just marginally clear the forks, I would've done it without cutting.

After the scare I had on my '03, I don't take any chances when installing someone else's horns. So far every customer has agreed with me after seeing the benefit of the extra room created by simply trimming right along the edge of the indents on the inner plastic. This, and bending the brackets at 45 degrees ensures the horns will never hit no matter how hard you hit the brakes in a turn.

You see, when you (people in general) install your own horns, you're responsible for your own liability. When I install something like this, I have to make sure that liability is kept to an absolute minimum.

Remember, I'm speaking from the experience of installing horns on more than just one FJR. I'm only trying to give the potential DIY'er a heads up on this. If I only did ONE install on ONE specific year FJR, I wouldn't be wasting my time typing this.

To each his own I guess. I can only put the info out there. Each individual will always make their own decision whether to use it or not.

Last edited by a moderator: