Which lense to get for my Shoei pinlock sheild ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliick2

Reaction score
I'd like to get some feedback on the preferred color of lense for low light conditions ? It has been suggested that yellow or amber is best. I'd like to get just one,so that I don't have to worry about scratching one while in the saddlebags. Thanks in advance. Sliick
smile.png

Clear. In low light you want as much light as possible. Some tints can help enhance contrast, but even clear will attenuate the light by a good 14% as the light comes through two layers of shield. Pinlock lenses have a warning for Day time use only. I have used mine at night a lot because visibility is still better through a Pinlock than a fogged shield. If you're riding daylight in rain, the yellow would probably be a good choice if you're bothered by contrast. Other than that, I just wear sunglasses under the shield.

I use clear for night time,all the time for that matter, as they sometimes tend to rainbow in oncoming lights-if you adjust so that the seal is tight they do not fog at all.,

Clear. In low light you want as much light as possible. Some tints can help enhance contrast, but even clear will attenuate the light by a good 14% as the light comes through two layers of shield. Pinlock lenses have a warning for Day time use only. I have used mine at night a lot because visibility is still better through a Pinlock than a fogged shield. If you're riding daylight in rain, the yellow would probably be a good choice if you're bothered by contrast. Other than that, I just wear sunglasses under the shield.
+1 on that. Clear is the way to go.

Many still believe you can "see better" in low light to dark conditions with yellow tinted lenses. But any tint just lets in less light. And anything you can see is visible because of light reflecting off of it.

Pinlocks rock.

+1 to all that Tom said. I hated how easily my SHOEI Multitec fogged up all the time. I would have to open and close the visors constantly. No such issue with the pinlock and I have the clear lens and it's not much if any issue in the dark. Fog free visor is actually better anytime.

As long as I'm on a roll for visibility issues...

Avoid polarized sunglasses. They can create really weird effects when used behind a helmet shield, and can extinguish visibility of LED displays on your dash and GPS. If you have a choice, just get good quality non-polarized lenses, preferably with thinner frames and not a lot of wrap unless you are going to ride with the visor open. Wrapped glasses with thick side-pieces really kill peripheral vision.

Your question has been well covered, but just as a side note, lots of folks think the blue-tint lamps are brighter or somehow better. When I looked into it, I found most expert opinion in agreement that whiter light was more pure and brighter. Any tint--whether in the light itself or in the lens you're looking through just diminishes the light you see. Pinlock shields, headlight bulbs: same thing.

Clear face shields (pinlock included) for all occasions for me. Tinted and amber sunglasses as needed underneath the face visor. A pair of sun glasses is easier to carry than a spare faceshield, and quicker to change out. YMMV

Definitely use a clear pinlock for night riding, more light is better...especially for *older* eyes. I have a complete set, with light gray for daytime plenty of light, yellow for fog / clouds typical PNW winter riding and clear for nights.

I have a MultiTec and like puppychow, it's the worst helmet I've ever had for fogging but the pinlock eliminated that problem.

--G

Thinkin' 'bout tint? Nice part about sunglasses is that they're better than tinted windshields/pinlocks. Becuase you can buy EXACTLY what you need, and you can buy a bunch of them for less than a single Shoei pin lock, it's a win/win situation.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip> Nice part about sunglasses is that they're better than tinted windshields/pinlocks. Becuase you can buy EXACTLY what you need, and you can buy a bunch of them for less than a single Shoei pin lock, it's a win/win situation.
Multiple cheap sunglasses work fine as long as you don't need corrected lenses for seeing. Options are more limited (or more expensive) in that case...

--G

Since I wear Rx lenses so, I usually ride with a dark tint sheild on my shoei and carry a clear pinlock (stuffed in a NEW sock for protection) in my tank bag where it wont get scratched up.

I have two shields, one with a tinted Pinlock for daytime use. I also used some of the Krylon plastic paint, and painted the top portion of the shield black to help with early morning rides (I head southeast to my office in the morning). I also have a completely clear Pinlock setup...