Which motorcycle mount to use for Garmin 2730?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
Two questions, really....

I have the RAM Motorcycle Mount for a 2730and associated mounting equipment (ball, arm), and I also have the GARMIN motorcycle mount for the 2730....

RAM
ram_holder_for_garmin_streetpilot_2600_2820_and_bww_navigator_ii_gps_series.jpg

GARMIN
streetpilot_motorcylebracket.jpg

I don't like that the RAM mount, while secure enough for riding, allows the power cable free play. It can and has slipped a few times unless care is taken to place it JUST right so the pressure keeps it pulled in. And hope that vibrations don't change that.

I DO like that the GARMIN has a spot to HOLD the power cord in place, and locks down on the GPS, and mine has a thumbscrew there to tighten and keep it locked down.

Part 1, which would you pick between the two. I use the gps on day trips, and always take it off the bike if I'm not physically on the bike. I lean towards the GARMIN, which leads to my second question.

Part 2, with the RAM mount, how do you keep the cable from losing it's connection? And with the GARMIN, how the heck do you mount it to the bike?! I'm assuming there's some sort of RAM universal thing with a ball on the back that will line up with the four mounting holes, but which one?!

Thanks guys. Winter farkles have ALMOST all been bought. Installation begins in the new year....

Alexi

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the RAM mount with the Techmount Stem mount. Works great! Then again, I have never used the Garmin mount so I can't make an accurate comparison. I will say, I have never had a problem with the power cord coming out...........ever. I mounted the cable through the opposite side (of the triple clamp) and made sure it had adequate slack.

I've got the RAM mount and have the ball mount attached via the clutch bolts. Works fine, never had any issues. Just tough to get the speaker/power plug to fit in the glove box. Plan on a power feed from my barrier strip.

Two questions, really....
I have the RAM Motorcycle Mount for a 2730and associated mounting equipment (ball, arm), and I also have the GARMIN motorcycle mount for the 2730....

RAM
ram_holder_for_garmin_streetpilot_2600_2820_and_bww_navigator_ii_gps_series.jpg

GARMIN
streetpilot_motorcylebracket.jpg

I don't like that the RAM mount, while secure enough for riding, allows the power cable free play. It can and has slipped a few times unless care is taken to place it JUST right so the pressure keeps it pulled in. And hope that vibrations don't change that.

I DO like that the GARMIN has a spot to HOLD the power cord in place, and locks down on the GPS, and mine has a thumbscrew there to tighten and keep it locked down.

Part 1, which would you pick between the two. I use the gps on day trips, and always take it off the bike if I'm not physically on the bike. I lean towards the GARMIN, which leads to my second question.

Part 2, with the RAM mount, how do you keep the cable from losing it's connection? And with the GARMIN, how the heck do you mount it to the bike?! I'm assuming there's some sort of RAM universal thing with a ball on the back that will line up with the four mounting holes, but which one?!

Thanks guys. Winter farkles have ALMOST all been bought. Installation begins in the new year....

Alexi

RAM mount AMPS plate with ball, holes line up with bolt holes in Garmin's mount.

From there you just need an arm and a ball on the bike, choices are the stem nut, handlebar clamps, reservoir covers, or the left side mirror hole. RAM's arms for the 1-inch ball range from 2 inches to 5 inches, I think.

I use the Garmin mount with a stem stand on top of a dash shelf. I like the Garmin mount for the reason you mentioned, the cable is locked in place. Also, it uses a torx security screw to lock the GPS in the mount, which is reasonably secure.

I mounted my 2820 to one of these. A bit on the expensive side but I just couldn't be happier with it

IMG_0487.jpg

+1: I've been using the Garmin mount with the Tech Stem for several months and I have had no problem at all with the cord coming loose. I wish I had gone with a shorter cable. though, as I have mine wound up and twist-tied to the stem mount because it is too long. Even at extra-legal speeds, the cable has held in without any issues. It seems very tight to me - I can't imagine it coming loose by itself.

RAM mount AMPS plate with ball, holes line up with bolt holes in Garmin's mount.
From there you just need an arm and a ball on the bike, choices are the stem nut, handlebar clamps, reservoir covers, or the left side mirror hole. RAM's arms for the 1-inch ball range from 2 inches to 5 inches, I think.
WynPro Stationary Ball Mount

I just finished fabricating some of the mounts and have posted over in the Vendors forum.

clicky

Dave

WynPro Stationary Ball Mount

I just finished fabricating some of the mounts and have posted over in the Vendors forum.

clicky

Dave
I've kept my eye on that thread. I think I'm gonna spring and get the AMPS plate and try the Garmin mount. It looks secure enough and I like that the power cable is kept securely in place. And I have one with a torx security screw, and one with a thumbscrew. I'll use the one with the thumbscrew and take it off everywhere I stop.
Still undecided with that new mount. Looks great, wondering if it's necessary and how my wife would react to me buying yet ANOTHER thing for the bike...

Alexi

Alexi,

If you want to do this on the cheap without the hardware mount, I have used a 4 1" Velcro Strips, two on the Gas Tank just forward of the triple tree and the other 2 strips attached to the bottom of the GPS Plastic Base.

It works well and out of your line of sight of your dash.