Which screen is best for short ...5 foot 6 inch rider.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrpro

Reaction score
I have looked many past post's but I was wondering if anyone out there is my hight and installed a new windscreen. It seams that I could use about 2 to 3 inch more screen height when screen is up for quiet air. Thanks Fjrpro

I'm that short. I'm still using the stock shield. If you really want to get down under the air, get a Cee Bailey 4+4. Or a Cal Sci tall shield. You'd better like looking THROUGH the shield, not over it.

When I was riding my '04 in (in the winter, esp), I really liked the Cee Bailey. But most of the time, I have found myself riding my '06 in the "sport mode" with the stock shield down and my face (helmet) in the wind.

I'm that short. I'm still using the stock shield. If you really want to get down under the air, get a Cee Bailey 4+4. Or a Cal Sci tall shield. You'd better like looking THROUGH the shield, not over it.

+1 on the +4+4.... the fact that you can adjust the height of the screen anytime with a button push makes me wonder why folks get so picky about screen height. Get a tall one and lower it to where you want. Those that do not like the screen up anyway don't really need to get taller ones...but just ones a bit more aerodynamic than the stock one..

KM

I sorta agree with Knife, about the CB part anyway.

I would recommend a CB +4w/+2h w/flip. Don't think stock height with flip will be tall enough. IMO the 4" over stock height with flip would be too much for your height. It is for mine because I don't want to look through the screen, not even a CB.

The flip gets you a quiet zone without having to run such a tall shield.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am about 5'8" tall and just put the Cee Bailey +4 +4 on. I like to sit up straight and in the lowered position the wind hits me just above the collar bones. I am still looking way over the windshield. If I raise it up a few inches it gets very quiet but I still get some wind on the top of my helmet. As I go higher and higher it gets even quieter, but I suspect it will be quite warm in the summer. In the all the way up position I am looking through the screen about 4 inches from the top. It is very clear and doesn't bother me but it is almost as quiet in the lower positions w/o having to look through it. I have the flip. I am extremely happy with how quiet the wind is now and the lack of turbulence beating me up when I commute to work. I think you would be very happy with this shield. The fit and finish are excellent. You would probably be happy with the +2 high also as the +4 is so tall you might have extra screen that you would not ever need!!!

I am about 5'8" tall and just put the Cee Bailey +4 +4 on. I like to sit up straight and in the lowered position the wind hits me just above the collar bones. I am still looking way over the windshield. If I raise it up a few inches it gets very quiet but I still get some wind on the top of my helmet. As I go higher and higher it gets even quieter, but I suspect it will be quite warm in the summer. In the all the way up position I am looking through the screen about 4 inches from the top. It is very clear and doesn't bother me but it is almost as quiet in the lower positions w/o having to look through it. I have the flip. I am extremely happy with how quiet the wind is now and the lack of turbulence beating me up when I commute to work. I think you would be very happy with this shield. The fit and finish are excellent. You would probably be happy with the +2 high also as the +4 is so tall you might have extra screen that you would not ever need!!!
I am 5'6" and have a plus two accessory wind screen that is similar to the CB.It has worked well for me.It has been just wide enough to force the air off my hands making it easier to endure North Texas winter riding.Buddy of mine has the same windscreen but has added "tuning" ability.His bike has far less turbulence than mine because of the tuning ability but my experience with what I have has been is far less turbulence than the stock.The variety of available shapes,prices and contortions is seemingly endless.If you are budget minded look at JC Whitney.Even after 35+ years of riding I still find good tidbits there.

Okay fella's, what about the laminar lip? I've been seriously considering this farkle cuz as you all know the noise from the OE screen is less than perfect. I am 5'9 and wanna get a bit more "quiet" and protection but don't want to look through anything either. Has anyone got the "Lip" and how is it?

Just wonderin'!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I'm 5'8" and the CB +2+2 with flip is perfect for me. Higher than stock but not so high that in the low position you don't get any air flow and got rid of dreaded "push" on my back at speed.

I just recently added a couple of Skyways windshield spacers, which tilt the screen back a couple of degrees and it does make a difference - the tilt lets even more air come back to you when the screen is in low position and the air behind it is "smoother". Glad I got them.

Last edited by a moderator: