Which seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrywatts

Reaction score
This has *got* to have been covered here, but my skills with the forum search tools haven't yielded anything. Anyone tolerant enough to provide some input will be deeply appreciated.

The stock seat isn't working for me. 6' 3", 220 lbs. Seems hard and narrow. This probably isn't news to most.

Options seem to be Bill Mayer, Russell or custom Corbin. Corbin is close enough that I can spend the day in Hollister and they'll make a custom one from my seat pan. This means it wouldn't necessarily have to be the classic Corbin approach of very low, narrow front. Prices seems similar on all these. However, since the bike is a daily driver, Russell or Mayer will require finding a cheap set of pans to feed them while I continue riding on my stock seat.

So, anyone have experience with these, particularly anyone with experience on two or more of the options? Or, if we've been down this path too often, perhaps someone could point me at the appropriate thread?

Thanks much,

/hank

This has *got* to have been covered here, but my skills with the forum search tools haven't yielded anything. Anyone tolerant enough to provide some input will be deeply appreciated.
Read this thread...the same one you were strongly suggested to read when you signed up and agreed to the forum terms.

You can find threads quickly if you enter which seat site:fjrforum.com at Google...like here...or mix and match search terms.

And you're right...it has been covered many, Many, MANY times before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lookie at whut Eye gots jist goin' tuh Google en typin:

seat site:fjrforum.com

Eye spose yew kud goes inta Google en type thangs lyke:

russell seat site:fjrforum.com....

Er mebbe: mayer seat site:fjrforum.com

Then thar's allays: custom seat site:fjrforum.com

Butt yew orta dew whute'er yew kin thinka dewin.

Aside's, et's Dogpile Friday en Eye is holdin' bak. Yewer gonna lern, noobie. Butt we done gave yuh plenny uh reedin' soes yew kin larn howta fine stuff.

BTW, at my current svelte 6'2"/245 lbs, 32" inseam, I've been enjoying my Russell Day Long for nearly 60K miles and I've never regretted the purchase.

The stock seat isn't working for me. 6' 3", 220 lbs. Seems hard and narrow. This probably isn't news to most.

Options seem to be Bill Mayer, Russell or custom Corbin. Corbin is close enough that I can spend the day in Hollister and they'll make a custom one from my seat pan. This means it wouldn't necessarily have to be the classic Corbin approach of very low, narrow front. Prices seems similar on all these. However, since the bike is a daily driver, Russell or Mayer will require finding a cheap set of pans to feed them while I continue riding on my stock seat.

So, anyone have experience with these, particularly anyone with experience on two or more of the options? Or, if we've been down this path too often, perhaps someone could point me at the appropriate thread?

Thanks much,

/hank

I bought the Aihawk air pad for my 07 for me and my wife, we find they are awsome. I have the medium cruiser and pillion cruiser sizes. The secret to these pads is to force all the air out then just add a very small puff of air, most people get these and they put to much air in them. We ride all day witout any problems. Try them you might like em. Good luck.

Verns

According to my old friend, Google Maps, its 255 miles from Sunnyvale up the I-5 to Shasta Lake City. Call Russel and schedule a ride-in appointment, and you can get it done over a weekend.

About 100 miles further to Ojai, CA if you choose the Mayer seat.

Can't go wrong with either, from everything I've read.

Don

Thanks much,

/hank
I have a corbin saddle. Ive got roughly 15k miles of seat time on it. It fits me real nice and is way more comfy than the stock seat. One drawback though, the corbin is much like a horse saddle. There is very little padding. I find myself standing up on the pegs after about an hour or so.

I have a Corbin and love it. I am 6'2 and when I ordered mine I had them "beef it up" to stock height. Normally when Corbin makes a seat they lower it from stock. To do so they added extra padding so my seat is not only shaped to fit the contour of my behind, but it's almost as "cushy" as the stock seat. If you live close enough to Hollister, Call and make a ride in appointment, and they will make it to your specs while you wait.

I have a Corbin and love it. I am 6'2 and when I ordered mine I had them "beef it up" to stock height. Normally when Corbin makes a seat they lower it from stock. To do so they added extra padding so my seat is not only shaped to fit the contour of my behind, but it's almost as "cushy" as the stock seat. If you live close enough to Hollister, Call and make a ride in appointment, and they will make it to your specs while you wait.
Hmmmm....when I ordered mine, I was unaware they could modify it. From the looks of things, Ill probobly have to get it recovered here in the next few years, when I do, Ill ask em to put some stuffing in it.

I have had three customs, Corbin, Rick Mayer and a Russell in that order. Should have started with the Russell. I have a Bill Mayer on my Wee Strom mainly for the look on a Adventure tour. My Russell is by far the most comfortable and has seen many 1000+ mile days.

IMG_0964.jpg

I did a Corbin ride in and spent all day with their attentive staff. Rode most of the day with different shapes of seats till we finally got it right, then picked out the cover. I can do 600 mile days easy. Thats just me. I haven't tried any of the other seats--never had to. You can work with the guys at Corbin all day long, probably longer, till your satisfied, and even bring it back within a reasonable amount of time and have them reshape it again. How can you beat that? No affiliation, just a happy customer.

I did the Russell. Made a huge difference. Just got back from a 2800 mile trip, with very little discomfort. With the stock seat, I never would have even thought about taking the trip.

Latest posts