Which suit for Florida?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bappo

Reaction score
I am riding my FJR from ID to FL in Sept. to its new winter forever home and am undecided on which kit to wear down there. FL will be my winter retirement location (Okeechobee/Sebring area probably) and the bike will be primary mover with truck as backup. The Super Tenere will end up in the UP of MI as the summer bike/home. So:

Klim high Vis Badlands Pro - Favorite vents well.

Klim Latitude in grey - served me well throughout CA and AK, not as venty

Stich Roadcrafter 1-piece - been the goto commute kit for years.

Any suggestions from the southern living folk? Or anyone for that matter.

I will probably get something mesh later on once I'm there.

Thanks in advance,

Bappo

Florida will still be pretty warm in September probably. You will be covering way more miles at elevation with drier, cooler air than you will actually riding in Florida. I would be dressed for the worst of what you will encounter on the way, not for Florida itself.

I have found that the mesh stuff works well in the Humid Heat of the Gulf States but the solid textile with controlled venting is better for LD riding once I am North of I-10.

October is traditionally looked at as the month where temps start dropping. September is usually hot, especially at the front. Mesh is what I prefer, but if you have plenty of openings, you'll most likely be ok. Drink lots of water or Gatorade, and pour water on your base or mid layer if it feels stifling hot.

Thanks,

I will fly home after storing the bike in Deerfield Beach and then when I return in November I will be staying until March/April when I will head to da UP for the summer. The FJR will be used all winter as primary transport.

So April till November in the UP and winter in FL with MANY trips on the bikes planned.

So sick of a short riding season.

You'll really like the winter down here, it's our riding season, we pay for it though, with dark at 5:00p and our summers. We'll have cold fronts moving through, which brings cooler temps (for 3 days) and wind, so the 2nd day after a front moves through is usually nirvana.

Check out Rides&Gatherings (Southeast) for RTE's. We look forward to seeing you!

Rob

Thanks,I will fly home after storing the bike in Deerfield Beach and then when I return in November I will be staying until March/April
Deerfield is south of me, I have only bikes for transportation and ride all year round. The flat and straight roads (That everyone knocks) feel

pretty darn good while others are bitching about storing their bikes for the winter and watching that cold white stuff pile up.

+1 on what Rob posted about our RTEs. We have been doing VERY well on them this year.

Florida in the winter is heaven. I feel for our northern brethren when they have to put their bikes away and find something else to have fun with in the winters. We don't have that problem. Pay attention to our RTEs and come and meet some really nice folks.