Which Suit Guys?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radman

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
Ok folks, seeing tomnap go down and damn near walk away from what could have been a nasty if not for his gear has gotten me to thinking. I'm looking for a suit. Been looking at a Roadcrafter or the Alpinestar 360. Now, one of the problems I have is overheat. If it's gonna cook me, it won't get worn, and so would be a useless purchase. While the temps we encountered at CFO (high 90's) were somewhat exceptional, they weren't all that unusual. And heat just kills me. I run hot in January. From those of you who own one, what do you use that is bearable in hot weather, yet still protects? Or are the two mutually exclusive?

Also interested in opinions on suits. I have been thinking about the Aerostitch Darien 2 piece.

Just curious... what do you wear now? How much heat can you really take?

If you really are prone to overheating, this is will take some amount of discipline to wear proper gear. An Aerostich is a spendy piece of gear (though worth every expensive penny), but it won't do you much good if it's left hanging in the closet.

Consider the mesh gear if you think you won't wear the 'Stich in the heat.

I like this outfit here at NewEnough.com:

First Gear Mesh pants

An AWESOME price on this killer First Gear Mesh Jacket... $107!!!

First Gear Mesh Jacket

Just curious... what do you wear now? How much heat can you really take?
The gear you linked to might just be the ticket.

If you really are prone to overheating, this is will take some amount of discipline to wear proper gear.
If discipline were the only issue, it would be no problem. Unfortunately, it's medical issues that guide my riding these days. I simply am not what I used to be. I am getting to the point where my riding days may be numbered. I would love to have been aware of the IBA back in the days when I had the endurance to compete-woulda kikked all yer punk asses... :p No more. Now I'm happy just to still be able to ride-and am looking for ways to protect myself best as I can within the limitations my health has imposed. Thats all. Appreciate the suggestions. ;)

Just curious... what do you wear now?  How much heat can you really take?
If you really are prone to overheating, this is will take some amount of discipline to wear proper gear. An Aerostich is a spendy piece of gear (though worth every expensive penny), but it won't do you much good if it's left hanging in the closet.

Consider the mesh gear if you think you won't wear the 'Stich in the heat.

I like this outfit here at NewEnough.com:

First Gear Mesh pants

An AWESOME price on this killer First Gear Mesh Jacket... $107!!!

First Gear Mesh Jacket
Warchild is 100% correct.

My Stitch is good up to around 90-95 degrees as long as I'm moving (I've gotten stuck in traffic with it on, and its horrible if you are not getting air moving through when sitting in higher temps). :dribble:

At the high temps, it's mesh gear.

I have the Firstgear Mesh jacket and it works very well.

Info to follow concerns jackets only, but might be relevant.

I have two jackets. One is a preferated leather joe rocket, the other is a mesh joe rocket. I prefer the fit, feel, and protection of the leather in all respects, except the heat issue. I'm a "large" person, at 6'2" and 275lbs. I get hot, very very hot. The Mesh jacket is only ever so slightly warmer than wearing just a t-shirt. When I say ever so slightly, i mean it's barely noticable. I wear the leather below about 85 degrees. At 85, even while moving, I am sweathing and overheating. When stopped it's almost unbareabe. This is from the perspective of a guy whose house A/C is set to like 65 degrees, in the hot and humid south.

In the cooler temps I have a First Gear Leather jacket that I love-it's the hot July and August weather thats a killer, and a t-shirt and jeans just ain't gettin it, makes 'ol rad nervous to go over 50, and Feej capable speeds are outta the question. Got the SO's ok to spend a little dough for needed gear, and after I sell the Trunk I won at CFO, I would love to get the whole meal deal, the Aero for cooler temps, the WC suggested gear for hot. Looks like there is no one answer for all temps, not that I expected there would be. Thanks again guys, keep it comin! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear Hein Gericke mesh jacket/pants (not shown at Newenough). The good: Air flow is good, armor is good, liners are water proof, liner folds into tiny size, liner lets me ride down to ~45 degrees, lotsa pockets to lose things in, magnetic collar closure, pants have full leg zippers. The bad: Black color, sun and black = bad, magnetic closure may not be electronics friendly. When temps drop below 45 I have a touring suit.

When looking at jacket/pants my opinion is that there should be some means to snap/zip/button the pants to the coat. You don't want the coat won't ride up at an inconvenient time, say when you are sliding down the road at 50 mph :eek:

I found a local shop that meets/beats internet prices and best of all I can try on the gear. They do have a web site: https://www.motoemporium.com My wife calls him SleezySlimey but she still picked up a full set of Joe Rocket Mesh from him. She loves her JR gear.

Alan

BTW, there are several brand names for mesh that are all made by the same manufacturer, they just get different logos sewn on. Hein Gericke is one of the generic types.

Crap. radman in safety gear? No more wife beater tees, shorts and flip-flops, eh? Looks like he intends to hang around so he can keep on bustin' on me. Oh well, to borrow a phrase, looks like I won't be pissin' on his grave anytime soon...

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

(which is a good thing!)

As a new owner of a custom 1-piece roadcrafter I can make some comparisons to the gear I used to wear.

I used to wear, and still own, RoadGear riding gear. The Excalibur model jacket and overpants, while quite protective (saved my ass during a crash), was not the most cool or easy to vent and was in fact quire warm in the heat. RoadGear did fit me off the rack when no other brands seemed to.

Since getting the roadcrafter I have noticed it being much cooler than my two-piece RoadGear stuff. The vents work much better and provide much better and more airflow. The suit breathes better but I do have to layer more effectively when it is cold. Don't get me wrong the roadcrafter, I am sure, does not compare to mesh or perforated gear when it is hot but for me was cooler than what I had been used to wearing.

It is a quality suit and effective protection in a get off and for me was cooler than my previous gear in hot conditions.

I've go a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket for summer. I like it alot. Good protection and cool enough as long as you're moving.

Radman,

I too have a Roadcrafter outfit, but would recomend you try these folks (I will be ordering a couple of outfits from them soon) for both comfort and safety, hot or cold.

Not cheap , but neither was my Roadcrafter.

They will happily send you sample swatches.

I think a few forum members have had some experience with their product.

https://www.motoport.com/index.asp?Merchant...=1-800-777-6499

I have the Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar suits. They are very nice in quality, fit and construction. I have ridden in 108 temps without undue hardship. In fact, it actually protects my legs from the afterburner heat. It's hot when you are sitting still or standing around but it's probably better than jeans and a t-shirt when moving. I was skeptical of Cycleport's claims that they were comfortable in temps from 20-120, but I'm a believer now. With the available Gore-Tex and thermal liners (separate, thermal for jacket only), It's the only gear I'll be needing for year-round comfort wet or dry. In the heat, I wear shorts under the pants, and I just picked up (based on Ric-n-Karen's recommendation) a Joe Rocket Sahara vest, which I have yet to demo. Read up on the Cycleport website before you make up your mind. I've talked at length with Wayne Boyer, the owner and CEO, and he is very knowlegable on the riding gear scene. The stuff's not cheap, but it sure beats the price and pain of skin grafts. I'm reminded of the no helmet-or gear guy featured in yesterday's "Squid" video and some of my former experiences with road rash (from pre-teen days on a bicycle in the dirt). I hope I never have to find out how well the stuff actually works in a get-off, but I'm confident that it will be up to the task whatever happens. And we look really cool in our matching astronaut suits. The other day a bank teller actually said, "You look really hot in that outfit". "Thank you".

I have the First Gear Mesh jacket that I find very comfortable in hot temps (hot for me is 100+). I also use the First Gear Hypertex overpant. I have not switched to a mesh pant because I can feel the engine heat with the overpant; I'm afraid a mesh pant would cook my leg. BTW I haven't made any modifications to my FJR for heat issues. Maybe the combination of heat fixes and mesh pants would do the trick.

I picked Motoport (Cycleport) over Aerostitch (Darien) partly because the Motoport is unlined. That has to make it a little cooler in the heat.

Radman,

I was wearing the Cycleport solid Kevlar pants and Riva jacket last weekend that was delivered to the Days Inn on Friday. I was no hotter riding home in my new rear than I was riding up in a Fieldsheer mesh jacket that I've been using for the last three years. The Kevlar fabric is stretchy and unrestrictive. It is made to order and appears to be of good quality. It has significant armor but lacks any hip coverage. Overall, I'm pleased with the finished product. Small and busy company was slow to deliver. I ordered mid April and it took three months for delivery. I debated over the Kevlar mesh and decided against it. If I were to do it again, I would still go with the solid pants as the do a good job of protecting my left leg against that damn blow dryer that fries my leg. I may still order there mesh jacket.

Other than the long wait time (with all the group buys I've grown accustomed to waiting) I'm very pleased with the final product. It will cost you the price of a Stitch, more if you opt for the Gortex liners which I have mixed feelings about. I've personally observed WC wearing their Cordura gear. Perhaps he would like to comment on his gear from Cycleport. I've noted many more positive reviews on their stuff than negative although there are some of the later.

Overall, damn near anything would be better than a t-shirt! As far as Tom slid on the pavement the Stitch pants were barely scathed. You would not have faired so well.

I've used one of those polymer bead vests and they work well below 35% humidity. Above that you just feel like your wrapped in a soggy wet newspaper.

Kevin

I have the Vanson Ventilator which is a 1000 denier woven Cordura part mesh jacket. It's reinforced with leather and armor in the impact zones. It's a very comfortable alternative to leathers during this heatwave. They also make Ventilator pants to match the jacket. They've both gotten excellent reviews.

Appreciate all the responses and ideas. Have gone with the First Gear stuff WC posted in his response-the price is right and the gear looks right for what I wanted. I have had real good luck with First Gear stuff so far, and New Enough needs no introduction here. The Roadcrafter or Cycleport suit is still in the future, but I needed summer weight stuff more than cold right now. Thanks again, a big help. ;)

I have the Vanson Ventilator which is a 1000 denier woven Cordura part mesh jacket. It's reinforced with leather and armor in the impact zones. It's a very comfortable alternative to leathers during this heatwave. They also make Ventilator pants to match the jacket. They've both gotten excellent reviews.
Tried to order the ventilator from Vanson. Out of stock and they will not be making them anymore. However they indicated they would have something similar that will be made across the pond.