Which Suit Guys?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I want when I'm looking for safety gear. Cheap. To quote from Cycleport's website:

When other companies use words like Ballistic, Hypertex, and Rocktex they are hiding the actual material name. Using Polyester or standard nylon for riding apparel is not safe.
Go to the Home page and click on the "Cycleport's Kevlar Suits" link. It will shed some light on the whole "Cheap safety gear" contradiction in terms. I pray we never have to find out how good or bad our respective safety gear actually is, but I'll keep preachin' for the good stuff in the meantime.

A comment on Roadcrafters.....

I have one, I love it... I'm also lucky enough that I live close enough to go in person to Aerostich....

Why is this so good....

There off the rack sizes didn't fit me....

I needed to get a 48R, with a gusset (made it wider) built in....

I was able to go to the shop, and with one of the employees try on different suits, thus because of being able to go there in person, I received a suit that fit great, and has saved my a$$ alleast twice (Note to all those reading.... Get cheap race leathers for the track, and save wear and tear on your stich)

If you're reading this and are contemplating a stich, I would suggest an in person trip if you can swing it... you will be very glad you did...

-bvw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool Brian, I didn't realise they are a local (well, kinda) company. I have my heart set on a Roadcrafter, looks like the perfect suit for the majority of Minnesota riding. Gotta save the dough though, it's a ways off to be sure.

Radman,

If you ride up to Aerostitch (Duluth) and buy direct from them they give a 10% discount and since there is no state tax for clothes in MN it saves a little bit of money.

I will hopefully be getting up there this fall and put in a order myself.

Later,

Dana

I have an Alpinestar 360, great suit, love it, but it's not for warm weather. Minimal venting and very effective water/windproof barrier also means it's not very comfortable above about 80 deg.

The Alpinestar suit is pretty damn good but you only get one color combo, no alerations and limited sizing but at less than half the cost of an Aerostitch. I love mine, it's the most comfortable gear I own.

I have a Gericke vented mesh jacket and pants for hot weather. I got the silver/black jacket and it's not too bad. For cool mornings, I'll wear the mesh with a Moose enduro coat on top until it heats up.

Just ordered my Roadcrafter from the folks at Aerostitch. Went to the store and if you can make it to Duluth, I highly recommend it as you will have it personally fitted and save the previously mentioned 10%. Service is first class and the suit is top notch. Spendy, but unless you crash, probably the last one you will need for awhile. The 10% savings covered the alterations I needed, plus got free shipping and no sales tax. Great product, great company.

That's what I want when I'm looking for safety gear. Cheap. To quote from Cycleport's website:
A legitimate concern Toe, however, when the choice is between none or cheap, which is better? And cheap is a relative term, there's junk, and then there is less than stellar. I try to find the best balance I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of protection does Ballistic mesh nylon shell (First Gear) offer compard to 500 Denier or Kevlar etc? I realize the pad in the stock jacket and pants on the first gear is just foam and would have to upgrade for any real protection but is the nylon shell just going to melt into my skin if I were to go down? Just asking because if I am waisting $200 on this I will just wait and save up for the Stitch?

Did I miss it somewhere? What was TomNap wearing when he slid on the road?

I remember his outfit resembling First Gear but didn't note the brand.

dobias

I have heard that Ballistic (First Gear) is basically the same thing as Condura (Dupont) just the names are different for legal patent reasons? More of a question than fact so don't take anything I say on the subject as truth. I am trying to learn about these different materials myself.

radman, if you're looking for a deal and are willing to wait for what you want to appear, try lurking on the Internet BMW Riders Marketplace site:

https://ibmwr.org/market/

I bought a used but not abused 2 piece Roadcrafter there several years ago for about half price of what was quoted new. There are three for sale there right now. May be worth a look as cold weather approaches.

Tim

If you ride up to Aerostitch (Duluth) and buy direct from them they give a 10% discount and since there is no state tax for clothes in MN it saves a little bit of money.
Be sure to ask for free shipping too.

I took a 42R jacket, and 40L pants. Glad I made the visit.

I've since had to add cold weather pads to the jacket. Seems it is either getting smaller, or I'm getting bigger.

I think I've got about 75K miles in it. Had to send it in for some new zippers but...

Might be the last suit you'll ever need.

I just got back from Aerostich.....a 2500 mile round trip. Sure glad I went as I didn't fit what I thought I wanted. The folks there couldn't have been nicer and more helpful......glad I went. Only problem is Duluth, MN isn't one of those places you just happen to ride by, i.e. you have to want to go there!!

Rad, try it, I'd bet you'll like it!!

Jim

I will second the comments about the staff at the Aerostitch store as being some of the most knowledgeable and friendly people to deal with. I also ended up getting a totally different size than I thought I would need.

They were very adamant that once the suit arrives, if I am not happy with it, they will fix whatever it takes to make it right. Sally is the gal to have fit your suit. Knows her stuff.

Plus when you go there you feel like you just went back in time to a showroom out of the 60's. Very cool.

And no I don't work there! :p

I have a roadcrafter and LOVE it, but can't tolerate the summer heat inside this thing. I have a Vanson Vent jacket for the hot stuff. Custom sizing/fit is the way to go if you can swing the bucks. The standard Vanson jackets put the armor in all the wrong places!

Have had a 2 piece RoadCrafter for the last 8 years and couldn'tbe happier with it but it does get kinda hot over 85-90 degrees especially here in the South with our awful humidity. Once I get up in the mountains its OK (and of course it cools down as well) but after you descend and get back on the flatlands it get mighty freakin miserable. I have a perforated Vanson leather jacket that is excellent and another textile perforated jacket Nitro that I like as well. all of its hot when you're still though, keep moving is the key to survival.

Radman,

I went the phone order Roadcrafter route.

I ordered three or four stock sizes and configurations, at the same time, so that I could find that had the closest initial fit,.

This, of course, was with their prior knowledge and consent.

From the initial test fits I was able to order mine with the sizing mods that I needed. I strongly recommend the additional back elipse panel and forward rotated shoulders (optional) for FJR riding. A one-piece tends to pull suit material (sing high notes) when you lean forward, if it is too restrictive, particularily if you have a large build. I also had them reposition the kneepad location higher to correctly place the knee armor where it would do the most good (no extra charge, if ordered initally). The returned outfits were credited immediately. I found the returned freight costs well worth the effort to find the suit that fit best. If you could swing a trip to MN, that would be better still.

NOTE*

I did send it back a few months later for an additional full-length gusset installation. I found that with all of the armour installed, it was tough to zip up over a pair of insulated jeans and their excellent new heated vest was a bit bulky.

The knee pads thickness would make it tough to pull the zipper up. You don't want the area loose, but I found that I had to really squeeze the pad material to get the left leg zipper up and over.

The Aerostich folks are professional and very accomodating. :D

I guess you have to figure in allowances for the type of WINTER clothing you might wear underneath.

I concur that a Roadcrafter suit, even with all of the vents open, is a bit too warm for 80 degree or warmer days, particularly if you are stuck in slow moving traffic. :dribble:

I'm a big fan of TourMaster gear. I wear the GX jacket zipped to the GX Air (mesh) pants. The mesh pants provide a direct path for engine heat to fry the legs, so they work better at 90 degrees and below. The jacket has zippered vents on the bicepts, collar bone, and back (exit). It flows decent air, but the addition of vents under the pits would be welcome.

Keep it coming guys, be nice if this was a sticky, lotta good info here. Nothing like personal experiences to fully inform one of whats out there, whats shit, and what works well. ;)