Which tyres you've got (-06 FJR)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaj

Reaction score
Today I went to see my -06 babe at my dealer. I checked that I had Bridgestone Battlax BT 020 as standard stock tires. Beside my babe, there was another -06 (exactly the same as mine), but it had Metzeler Roadtec Z6 as standard stock tires.

Now I'm just wondering:

1. Should I be lucky or disappointed?

2. Why on earth Yam is delivering bikes with 2 different tires to same market?

3. If any other new -06 owner could check which tires you've got, I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks, Kaj

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think we ever did a poll but I think most members are a little happier with the 020's. Both tires are pretty good, and probably the number one replacement tire is the Avon. My bike originally came with the Bridgestones and I was happy that they did as they gave good service, though I did see moderated cupping on the front. (I have since changed to Michelin Pilot Roads after two years and 10,000 miles on the originals; like them too so far).

Yo Kaj, EVERY year FJR to date has come with two tire possibilities. Bridgestone or Metzler. Don't know why that is, but that is the way it is.

Yo Kaj, EVERY year FJR to date has come with two tire possibilities. Bridgestone or Metzler. Don't know why that is, but that is the way it is.
Didn't Yamaha delete Metzeler from their short list of recommended tires last year? Anyway, I don't give a shit as I'm on my way to have the Pilots mounted up! Woot! :clap:

At 5K the Metz's went in the trash bin and were replaced by Pilot Roads for WFO4 8500+ miles ago. I just got home from having the Pirelli Diable Strada's mounted and balanced. Gonna go lube the splines and put the wheels back on the bike as it looks a might forlorn with the front suspended from the garage rafter by a strap.

Most would tell you the BS are better. Myself I would have been PO with the MetZ. I hated them as OE on my other bike then there was the carcus splitting with some MetZ. TJ

Mine, #000192, was delivered here in South Texas with Bridgestone BT-020's.

A couple of other semi-related points...

Remember, Pirelli owns Metzler, and for all intents and purposes Pirelli Diablo Strada's and Metzler Z-6's are indentical tires. Just FYI...

Regarding Metzler Z-6's - I replaced the Dunlop's on my BMW R-1150-R with Metzler Z-6's, primarily because all the BMW forums raved about Z-6's. I had been plenty disappointed in getting only 4,500 miles out of the rear Dunlop, so I swapped both ends for the Metzlers. Guys on the Beemer forums were talking about 6,000, 7,000, and even 10,000 miles out of Z-6's... Now I can't say anything bad about Metzler Z-6's tractive capabilities - wet or dry - as they stick really, really well, are extremely predictable, and steer wonderfully, but...

Imagine my disappointment when my rear Metzler Z-6 hit the cords at 4,035 miles.

But the story gets worse...

Since there was plenty left in the front Metzler I decided to go ahead and stick another rear Z-6 on it so I could mileage out the front. Low and behold, with only 500 miles on the new rear Metzler it DISINTEGRATED in the worst and weirdest way I have ever seen... No punctures found. Correct air pressure in it. Yet, it went all wonky and deformed.

Take a look for yourself:

allanbacktire0lf.jpg

Metzler and the tire distributor my dealer got it from are making good on it by giving me a brand new Metzler Z-6, but I'm afraid I don't have the highest degree of confidence in Metzler Z-6's at the moment.

Just FYI... YMMV.

Dallara

Remember, Pirelli owns Metzler, and for all intents and purposes Pirelli Diablo Strada's and Metzler Z-6's are indentical tires. Just FYI...

Regarding Metzler Z-6's - I replaced the Dunlop's on my BMW R-1150-R with Metzler Z-6's, primarily because all the BMW forums raved about Z-6's. I had been plenty disappointed in getting only 4,500 miles out of the rear Dunlop, so I swapped both ends for the Metzlers. Guys on the Beemer forums were talking about 6,000, 7,000, and even 10,000 miles out of Z-6's...

Imagine my disappointment when my rear Metzler Z-6 hit the cords at 4,035 miles.

But the story gets worse...

Since there was plenty left in the front Metzler I decided to go ahead and stick another rear Z-6 on it so I could mileage out the front. Low and behold, with only 500 miles on the new rear Metzler it DISINTEGRATED in the worst and weirdest way I have ever seen... No punctures found. Correct air pressure in it. Yet, it went all wonky and deformed.

Take a look for yourself:

allanbacktire0lf.jpg

Metzler and the tire distributor my dealer got it from are making good on it by giving me a brand new Metzler Z-6, but I'm afraid I don't have the highest degree of confidence in Metzler Z-6's at the moment.

Just FYI... YMMV.

Dallara
:angry2: :p Where was this information before I pulled the trigger on my pirelli purchase today! :lol:

Guess I better hope they are as good as others have stated :clapping:

...but I'm afraid I don't have the highest degree of confidence in Metzler Z-6's at the moment.
Just FYI... YMMV.

Dallara

You and everyone else except of course, for FJRandy.

;)

Freaky what that rear tire did. It shall be interesting to see how the new popular Pirelli Stradas hold up.

My 06 FJR came with Metz's. I have my 3rd set on my 1200S Bandit and they have been great tires for me. The last about 10,000 miles on the rear and about 15,000 on the front. I have a pair of Diablo Stradas waiting for the FJR next (Got a free front during their promo). :huh:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having researched this a bit, and visited other forums, and had private discussion with individual who spoke to Pirelli rep, I would have to say above statement is most misleading. As per reps statement:

"Pirelli has taken the over three yr. old technology and construction of the Metz. Z-6 and improved it in most every way, yielding longer mileage life, better traction and same fall in with the same profile."

Pirelli does own metzler. Diablo Strada EMS are mfg. in Germany . Tires do appear the same but apparently it ends there.

Now why would Pirelli not make their itteration of a Sports-Touring tire superior to another brand name???

no arguments here..., just trying to clarify issues :)

It all makes sense now. Yamaha only makes a certain number of FJR's for North America... those have the Bridgestone B020's. The rest are imported from France with the de-tuned engine... they have the Metz's, because they can't go that fast anyway. And you thought the de-tuned engines was a myth. :D

I have to say that the Bridgestones worked well for me. I found out that I hit something in the road while on a trip a few weeks ago. The front wheel took a shot that put a 2inch cut in the tire about 1inch from the centerline. The tire is cut down to the threads but it didnt go flat or blow out. I'm trying the Pilot Roads this time.

I'm not too impressed with the Avons due to the Wobble thing. Although they have been known to be the first choice for some FJR guys.

Most tires have their strong points. Most of the big name tires will be good it you take care of them and toss them when they are worn out. I'm choosing the Michelin Pilot Roads because of the good reports, good mileage, and Grip. I also live in Southern California with HOT pavement that eats tires quickly. Cant get too soft of compounds.

As far as I know, no U.S. bikes came with TYRES, here in the states we have TIRES .
:p :p :p :p :p :p
u bloody mexicans can't even speak proper english

:D :D :D :D :D :D

No, seriously, excuse me my bad english, but I'd guess if I spoke finnish with you, it would be worse :lol:

As far as I know, no U.S. bikes came with TYRES, here in the states we have TIRES .

:p :p :p :p :p :p
u bloody mexicans can't even speak proper english

:D :D :D :D :D :D

No, seriously, excuse me my bad english, but I'd guess if I spoke finnish with you, it would be worse :lol:

BBWWWWWAAAAAAHHAAAAA!~!!!!!! :D :hyper: :hyper:

Kaj, just for grins, post in Finnish !! Let em figure it out !!

Latest posts