Which tyres you've got (-06 FJR)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine, #000192, was delivered here in South Texas with Bridgestone BT-020's.
A couple of other semi-related points...

Remember, Pirelli owns Metzler, and for all intents and purposes Pirelli Diablo Strada's and Metzler Z-6's are indentical tires. Just FYI...

Regarding Metzler Z-6's - I replaced the Dunlop's on my BMW R-1150-R with Metzler Z-6's, primarily because all the BMW forums raved about Z-6's. I had been plenty disappointed in getting only 4,500 miles out of the rear Dunlop, so I swapped both ends for the Metzlers. Guys on the Beemer forums were talking about 6,000, 7,000, and even 10,000 miles out of Z-6's... Now I can't say anything bad about Metzler Z-6's tractive capabilities - wet or dry - as they stick really, really well, are extremely predictable, and steer wonderfully, but...

Imagine my disappointment when my rear Metzler Z-6 hit the cords at 4,035 miles.

But the story gets worse...

Since there was plenty left in the front Metzler I decided to go ahead and stick another rear Z-6 on it so I could mileage out the front. Low and behold, with only 500 miles on the new rear Metzler it DISINTEGRATED in the worst and weirdest way I have ever seen... No punctures found. Correct air pressure in it. Yet, it went all wonky and deformed.

Take a look for yourself:

allanbacktire0lf.jpg

Metzler and the tire distributor my dealer got it from are making good on it by giving me a brand new Metzler Z-6, but I'm afraid I don't have the highest degree of confidence in Metzler Z-6's at the moment.

Just FYI... YMMV.

Dallara

If they are making good on the tire, are they going to do anything about your poor rim? Looks a little banged up to me...

Having researched this a bit, and visited other forums, and had private discussion with individual who spoke to Pirelli rep, I would have to say above statement is most misleading. As per reps statement:
"Pirelli has taken the over three yr. old technology and construction of the Metz. Z-6 and improved it in most every way, yielding longer mileage life, better traction and same fall in with the same profile."

Pirelli does own metzler. Diablo Strada EMS are mfg. in Germany . Tires do appear the same but apparently it ends there.

Now why would Pirelli not make their itteration of a Sports-Touring tire superior to another brand name???

no arguments here..., just trying to clarify issues :)

Thanks for the post. Confirms my suspicions.

My 06 came with Metz Z6's. I only have 250 miles on them but I'm not impressed, especially on wet pavement. The rear end feels loose in a cross wind or decreasing radius turn. I ran Metz 880's on my cruiser and they were planted.....tire pressure is spec. I'm going to change them as soon as practical.

Sunnyside recently had a customer take delivery of a 2006 FJR, but when he learned that it had the Meltzer Z-6s on them, he directed Sunnyside to dismount the tires and install a fresh set of Avons.

When I saw his OEM tires in the dismount pile near the tire machine in the Service Department, still with fresh rubber tits and zero-miles on them, I made a piss-poor judgement call and gave the customer $100 to "dispose" of them.
icon_twisted.gif

I've always disliked Metzler, and I have seen a boatload of photos of the failed Z6's, but... the way I will be going through tires on the Blackbird this year, I'll give 'em a shot for $100, I guess.

Hell, I'll just burn through them anyway during one particularly brutal Endurance event that's being held in early July.....
icon_twisted.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunnyside recently had a customer take delivery of a 2006 FJR, but when he learned that it had the Meltzer Z-6s on them, he directed Sunnyside to dismount the tires and install a fresh set of Avons.
When I saw his OEM tires in the dismount pile near the tire machine in the Service Department, still with fresh rubber tits and zero-miles on them, I made a piss-poor judgement call and gave the customer $100 to "dispose" of them.
icon_twisted.gif

I've always disliked Metzler, and I have seen a boatload of photos of the failed Z6's, but... the way I will be going through tires on the Blackbird this year, I'll give 'em a shot for $100, I guess.

icon_twisted.gif
Warchild on Metzlers? :bigeyedsmiley: Holy Sh*t! All is wrong with the world! The end is nigh! Sell your Enron stock! Nail the MILF of your choice!

my just-in '06 came with the metz, and so far they're better than i am. did 214 miles home from the dealer, 120 of it in driving rain on I-90 and felt completely confident. i've run avon venoms on my valk and thought they were awesome. but this is my first sporty bike, so i'll sit back and watch y'all debate and make a choice. word is i won't have THAT long to wait, eh?

the original dunlops on the valk were crap, i know that. and a 700+ lb. bike will get a tire to give it up early if it's gonna...

thanks all..

The tire picture looks very similar to a Z4 front I had with seperated belts.

After a fellow FJR lister had a Metzler Z4 front blow out at 55mph last year I chalked it up to a fluke. I mounted a pair of Z4's on the FJR late last year. Early this year the Z4 front belts seperated and the tire went out of round at 70mph.

I called Metzler and traded voicemails several times, never did speak with a person, I will never mount another Metzler tire on my bikes or anyone elses.

icon_twisted.gif

Hell, I'll just burn through them anyway during one particularly brutal Endurance event that's being held in early July.....
icon_twisted.gif
You sure your not mistaken.....& they were z4 not z6?....

Latest posts