White Line

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony C.

Reaction score
Hi all

Heads up, and I'm sure many know this. The other day stopping at an intersection, a new white line was placed on the road. That big broad line that tells you to stop before a light or stop sign. As I placed my right foot down it slipped, but I was lucky and kept my balanced. Engaged the clutch and slowly got away. What I noticed was a shinny surface, the reason for the slick surface. So be aware with a new surface and white line, stop before and not on top, safe ride.

Tony C.

Yup, and most of the time they stay slick in the rain even after they get old. I've gone slip-slip-slip on the zebra stripes myself, as I crossed each individual stripe going through the corner.

If it's anything like what Florida DOT uses, it's a plastic strip that they put on the road, not paint, and it sort of conforms/melts into the top of the road as it ages. It ends up about 1/4" thick.

If it's anything like what Florida DOT uses, it's a plastic strip that they put on the road, not paint, and it sort of conforms/melts into the top of the road as it ages. It ends up about 1/4" thick.
Thermoplastic is SOP for FDOT (a lot of acronyms).

It consists of paint (for color) a filler material (sand) glass beads (light reflection) and a binder to hold it all together (pvc/plastic resins).

Wet or dry, it's slick as owl shit when new. As it wears it becomes a little rougher but if the painter added a fair amount of glass, the beads become exposed.

Water on glass.

Sliders,

Don't leave home without them. :rolleyes: