Who makes the best FJR shop manual?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leskid

Reaction score
Good day to all from Montreal

I just bought my 03 FJR last week. It only has 5000 miles and is showroom-spotless. But I already realized a shop manual would be a good idea when I messed-around (and gave-up) doing something as simple as removing the A panel to get at the fuse box.

I'm no mechanic but I've always worked on my own bikes, cars, ski-doos etc...

So what is the best & most comprehensive illustrated shop manual out there?

thanks to all!

Good day to all from Montreal...So what is the best & most comprehensive illustrated shop manual out there?
Wellhello from New Hampshire.

So far as I know, there is no service manual that meets what you are looking for. The best shop manual for the FJR is the Factory Service Manual (FSM) and the FSM sucks isn't as good as it should be. One of the better resources for all Yamaha parts including the FSM is Gary McCoy at Mondak Motorsports >>Click<< You may want to check the classifieds in this Forum too, occasionally a service manual shows up.

Yep, shop (Factory) manual or nothing. It's got most all of what you need, just not as user friendly as it could be. (No index, really is sinful not to have)

oh well. FSM it is then.

again thanks to all!

hey if anyone wants to help-out a forum noob, I added a picture of the feej to my profile but it doesn't show-up (that I can see) and I see that all you guys have some type of pic. Anyone got an FSM for this forum?

If you're asking about generic manuals, such as you find in the car world from such as Chilton's and Haynes, I don't think the FJR gets a lot of coverage there. . . . . .

The factory service manual lists the steps for just about anything you want to do on the bike, it's just not so good on some actual procedures. You want to get an assembly off the bike, you'll see something like:

Remove:

1. Thingie on top

2. Doomajiggie under that thing.

3. Wiring connector plug.

4. hook holding wiring harness.

It won't actually tell you how to remove the thingie on top, just that it has to come out. So it's good on sequences, basically.

Secret method: using the online parts fiche (go to the Yamaha site and find the Parts Catalog) along with the manual you'll get a good idea of what fasteners are involved and where they are, because (nearly) all the fasteners are shown in the parts fiche. The service manual says "Remove lower fairing panel," and the parts fiche shows you there's 5 bolts on the side and one underneath, and two on the panel under the radiator.

Last edited by a moderator:
The factory manual, with a healthy assist from FJRtech.com and the folks on this forum, will get you through most any job on the bike that doesn't require tearing the thing down to its component pieces.

Welcome aboard mate!

Griff

Leskid, I have an extra '03 FSM; if interested, PM me. It is for the U.S. model. Would there be a problem shipping it to Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
...such as you find in the car world from such as Chilton's and Haynes, I don't think the FJR gets a lot of coverage there. . . . . .Secret method: using the online parts fiche
excellent. I had no idea about the parts fiches or FJRtech.com. Very glad to learn of such resources, on top of very helpful forum members! I already saw the 'quick fasteners' that were preventing me from removing the fairing panels that started this!

C&C, I believe I'll be taking you up on the extra FSM

thanks again to all of you!