Who wants to let me ride their bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I go for a ride with some guys I don't know, after I while I can tell if they know what they're doing. If they do and feel the same about me, it's not uncommon to swap bikes, just to try something new. Even if my insurance didn't cover an accident on someone else's bike, it would only be right to cover any damage if it was my fault. I'd try a VTX and let someone ride my FJR. My last bike was an old Katana, only worth about two grand, but I traded rides with Harleys, Ducatis, Buells, an Indian, Aprilia, Triumph, Cagiva and most Jap bikes. Some I liked, some I didn't. Regardless of their price. I'd love to add some more bikes to the stable, but wouldn't trade my FJR for any other one I've tried. It's not exceptional at any one aspect of riding, but does all of them (not including off road) very well. It's not as fast as a ZX 1400, as agile as a 600 sport bike, as comfortable as a wing or as efficient as a scooter. But it's a fantastic mix of what makes riding fun. Yes, it's my baby and I don't want to see it get hurt, but my Momma taught me to share my toys. So VTX man, if you're in the Peoria (IL.) area and want to swap rides, I'm game.

Most BMW dealers will let you test ride their bikes, see if there is a dealer near you and check their inventory

On the other extreme, I went to a track day once and Aprila was there letting you ride a fleet of Mille's on the track and no sissy follow the leader thing either. Unrestricted, just "don't wreck it". I got three 20 minutes sessions and ended up buying one a year latter. It does seem odd that dealers can't deal with a street demo when Aprilia can do this.

Steve Hunt