Whoda Thunk It

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
As many of you know from some previous posts, my son is in his final month of Marine Corps boot camp on Parris Island. The past 2 weeks the recruits had rifle training and he just wrote me a letter telling me that not only did he qualify as an "Expert", he had the highest score in the 73 man platoon! :clapping: 233 out of a possible 250, with shots taken at 200, 300, and 500 yards. For his efforts, the SDI gave him a package of Starburst. This is a skill I hope he will never need. Pretty amazing coming from a kid who's closest relationship to anything resembling a weapon was a super soaker.....

As many of you know from some previous posts, my son is in his final month of Marine Corps boot camp on Parris Island. The past 2 weeks the recruits had rifle training and he just wrote me a letter telling me that not only did he qualify as an "Expert", he had the highest score in the 73 man platoon! :clapping: 233 out of a possible 250, with shots taken at 200, 300, and 500 yards. For his efforts, the SDI gave him a package of Starburst. This is a skill I hope he will never need. Pretty amazing coming from a kid who's closest relationship to anything resembling a weapon was a super soaker.....
Congratulations on your son developing new skills. It's easier to teach someone with no bad habits than to correct the bad habits already learned. Every Marine is a Rifleman first, then what ever their other training is for. Hopefully he won't need his new skills in combat, but should he, he has the confidance and skills that will allow him far better odds of survival. You have every reason to be proud of him.

Oh yeah, 5th award expert in both rifle and pistol myself when I was in the Marines, so I know he completed a challenging course of fire to achive his success.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent !, A skill well worth its designation. Way back when I shot Marksman with .45 & M-16, still own around 20 guns & CCW permit...

If he gets his skills because he takes after his mom, you may be in trouble... :(

Me, I can scrore Expert if you give me a shot gun at 20 yards or less... one with a really short barrel. :glare:

B)

Good on him. Proud day for him.

+1 to OCfjr - easier to teach someone who doesn't know anything then to teach those who think they're Sgt York!

Looks like all that practice with the supersoaker paid off :lol: .....Hope he never needs it....

way to go. reach out and touch someone.

i remember qualifying with my m16 in the first round. then they discovered that i'd been issued the wrong weapon (armorer stored the two wrong). the next one they issued me had the bbl nearly shot out, so it took forever to get a group that would "pattern" (grouping isn't the word) reasonably. the nice thing was i got to do a lot more shooting instead of sitting on the bench waiting for everyone else.

getting "expert" in grenades was much more funner. ;)

theaxeman,

First, I'd like to say "thank you" to your son for his service, and to you for being proud of that. It's not always the popular thing, what we do. I'm stationed here near MCRD PI, at MCAS Beaufort, and was stationed at PI until last year.

Best shooters are usually the kids that had never touched a weapon before (no bad habits to break). Be proud of him, as I'm sure he will be as well. Regardless of MOS (job), we still live by "Every Marine a rifleman". Been in 14 yrs, 10th award expert rifle, and 4th award expert pistol. Encourage & support him in everything he does, it's what give us the strength to lace our boots everyday.

And, at this point in bootcamp, getting that package of starburst as a reward was probably like winning the lottery for you son!!

Semper Fi,

-wr

Way cool!

and thank your son for being a good citizen and a proud Marine!

I managed to get expert in the M16 and .45, but I was only in the Army.... a bit easier, methinks! <G>

Congrats to you for raising a fine young man as well...

Mary

Thanks for all the nice comments. I couldn't be prouder. This is the type of child that you always hope for when you are just talking about having children. And for all those folks serving currently like extrememarine and all those who have served like Bounce, Krashdragon, FJRobert, et al.....THANK YOU. It wouldn't be the same without you.

Expert! good going. When I was in the USAF had to Quailifiy with M-16 before going to Vietnam, range master told me to "shoot alot maybe they'll have a heart attack and die". I needed a 7.65 cal. pencil just to get by.

Thank your son for serving.