Who's running the Leo Vince SBK on the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Doc

Reaction score
....and they're sooooooo gonna be "For Sale" because I'll be able to buy a fookin' warehouse full of exhaust systems for what the ticket & insurance increase for speeding is gonna cost me!

I just ran about 30 miles for a "quick" test ride. I'm pretty certain I never ran below 7000 rpm in ANY gear. This is a BIG problem! :lol:

Seriously, how do you guys with the set-up like it? Pro's/Con's?

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

Any one interested in a set of near brand new Cans? These very well might be on the classified soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like the "rumble, snarl and growl", you simply need to wait until your brain and ear have been retrained to the new sound.

Bluestreek has them on his bike, exskibum has a single muffler system on his and there are numerous others who have aftermarket cans on their bikes. In fact, I rode with Puppychow yesterday and he has Holeshot cans on his.

You don't HAVE to run the revs up in each gear, assuming your right wrist is connected to your "brain-bone". Though it is fun to listen to the exhaust note. I have my Holeshot cans in the box in my garage because I prefer the quieter sound of the OEM mufflers. Every once in awhile I think about changing back to the Holeshots just for fun while running local. The drone of them is tiring to me on longer rides.

I'd wait a week or two before deciding to give up on the experiment, just to allow yourself time to acclimate to the change.

Or....sell them. :huh:

I thought Mr. Chow was sportin' Two Bros. but I could be wrong about that.

Yeah, I'll give it a few days, it's fun but I'm pretty certain they're coming off. :lol:

Nope! Running Holeshots. I like their satin black looks and they look great on the Feej. However at 32K miles - mine are starting to get louder. Might need to repack them soon.

Their drone hasn't bothered me on long rides much. I am usually listening to music anyway.

Why do you want to sell your Leo's. Too loud? Too fun? I love the way the Holeshots sound when I do actually hear them, but that novelty wore off pretty soon. I don't rev just to hear them anymore - I rev when I want to accelerate...FAST! :)

Too loud? Too fun? I love the way the Holeshots sound when I do actually hear them, but that novelty wore off pretty soon. I don't rev just to hear them anymore - I rev when I want to accelerate...FAST! :)
Seeeee!?!?!?!?

Maybe, like some others of us, TreeDoc is getting "older". :eek:

;)

:lol2: There might be some truth to that remark, MM2!

Sam,

Today? Too FUN!

Tomorrow? Too LOUD! :lol:

We'll see what the next few days brings. Lot's of great riding weather for the next week it would appear.

I have a set of SBK cans and I put the baffles inserts in. I like them a lot.

I have the LV SBK's and I am running them with the "quiet" baffles. As far as aftermarket exhqaust systems are concerned, these are not particularly loud. They are, however, getting louder after putting 30,000 miles on them - in need of a repack. This year, I am swapping back to the stock cans. I'll repack the LV's when i have time and decide whether I am going to put them back on the bike or sell them. The bike "sounds" more powerful with the aftermarket cans but doubt that a dyno would show much difference in the normal riding envelope.

I do a lot of long trips and the added volume is not much fun after listening to them for 10-12 hours in a day. Again, not obnoxiously loud but louder than I need.

Ross

I have them on my 2007. I really like them,much quieter than my prior Holeshots but still have a nice deep tone. I am one of those guys that immediately tears off the stock exhaust and installs an after market one. I'm old but still like a good sound over the sewing machine stocker.

I'm still trying to figure out if my bike is running when I'm sitting at a stop light with my club. It's ironic that I just came off of a HD Road King with V&H pipes. It's all relative I guess. My LV SBK's don't have the silencers in them and don't sound that loud at idle or at 3k RPM (which is around 60 mph for me cruising) but then again my longest hop is less than an hour and even circling the entire island is only 100 miles.

My first '05 (the one I wrecked :angry: ) came to me with Holeshot headers and the LV/SBK cans. I liked the sound of them very much, though I'd never have put out the bucks to buy them otherwise--the stock setup is fine for my level of riding. But I do recall 3 or 4 years back half a dozen or so of the local FJR boys rode down to Lancaster for the "Streetmasters" workshop, and after a morning of theory in the classroom, we rode out to the Willow Springs racetrack for some "practical application." It was a 10 or 12 mile ride.

At a stop sign, I pulled up next to the instructor who was leading our group: Walt Fulton, a guy with a pretty major background in riding, racing and teaching. He leaned over toward me and yelled "Man, I sure love the sound of your pipes." Way cool!... ;)

My first '05 (the one I wrecked :angry: ) came to me with Holeshot headers and the LV/SBK cans. I liked the sound of them very much, though I'd never have put out the bucks to buy them otherwise--the stock setup is fine for my level of riding. But I do recall 3 or 4 years back half a dozen or so of the local FJR boys rode down to Lancaster for the "Streetmasters" workshop, and after a morning of theory in the classroom, we rode out to the Willow Springs racetrack for some "practical application." It was a 10 or 12 mile ride.

At a stop sign, I pulled up next to the instructor who was leading our group: Walt Fulton, a guy with a pretty major background in riding, racing and teaching. He leaned over toward me and yelled "Man, I sure love the sound of your pipes." Way cool!... ;)

Walt's a great guy! Been there myself.

I've discovered my issue. I'm running SBK standards, not the newer EVO II with the added "Quiet Inserts"

These were installed on my '05 when it was brand new then within a couple hundred miles of use, removed and stored. I just secured them from the original owner of my FJR (an old acquaintance) last week after he contacted me to see if I was interested in a bunch of FJR parts that never made it to the guy I bought the bike from after his year and 600 miles of ownership. 2 side bags, 1 new, 1 scraped, an extra scratched bag lid, the new OEM mirrors since I have '06 models on it, and this essentially brand new exhaust? "SURE, YOU BETCHYA!" I said. :lol:

Garauld is finally gonna get some stuff to work on from me!

I'm gonna see if I can acquire some Quiet Inserts and drill a small hole in the exhaust tip for the retaining screw. If I can do that, that will probably tone these down to a reasonable note. If I can't, they're definitely "FOR SALE"

I'm gonna see if I can acquire some Quiet Inserts and drill a small hole in the exhaust tip for the retaining screw. If I can do that, that will probably tone these down to a reasonable note. If I can't, they're definitely "FOR SALE"
OR....buy better ear plugs. :eek:

;)

Walt's a great guy! Been there myself.

I've discovered my issue. I'm running SBK standards, not the newer EVO II with the added "Quiet Inserts"

These were installed on my '05 when it was brand new then within a couple hundred miles of use, removed and stored. I just secured them from the original owner of my FJR (an old acquaintance) last week after he contacted me to see if I was interested in a bunch of FJR parts that never made it to the guy I bought the bike from after his year and 600 miles of ownership. 2 side bags, 1 new, 1 scraped, an extra scratched bag lid, the new OEM mirrors since I have '06 models on it, and this essentially brand new exhaust? "SURE, YOU BETCHYA!" I said. :lol:

Garauld is finally gonna get some stuff to work on from me!

I've had them on my bike for more than five years. They came with the baffles already installed. You should not have to drill holes to install them.

I've had them on my bike for more than five years. They came with the baffles already installed. You should not have to drill holes to install them.
The EVO-II SBK's come drilled to accommodate that little retaining screw on the underside of the exhaust tip that holds the insert in place. Mine were not so equipped since they were designed and supplied without the insert. The insert is purported to drop the dB rating by 3 dB which is about 1/2 of what they put out now. Should be the answer if I can make this work.

The EVO-II SBK's come drilled to accommodate that little retaining screw on the underside of the exhaust tip that holds the insert in place. Mine were not so equipped since they were designed and supplied without the insert. The insert is purported to drop the dB rating by 3 dB which is about 1/2 of what they put out now. Should be the answer if I can make this work.
How's that? Did you have them special made for you? Is there a way to tell if they are? Mine came with the bike when I bought it and I swear they had the baffles in but when I looked there was nothing. It really seems quiet to me. Anyone know when they need to be repacked anyway? I wonder if mine were made with extra packing or something.

How's that? Did you have them special made for you? Is there a way to tell if they are? Mine came with the bike when I bought it and I swear they had the baffles in but when I looked there was nothing. It really seems quiet to me. Anyone know when they need to be repacked anyway? I wonder if mine were made with extra packing or something.
Do you have a little stainless screw on the underside of the exhaust tip? If you do, that's holding the Quiet Insert into the cannister. EVO-II, which are pretty much their standard street bike exhaust, come with that insert installed. I don't yet know exactly when they started the EVO-II line but I believe mine pre-date that evolution or they're just the Racing model. I think it's the former, though. I have an email into a rep at Leo Vince that I have recently communicated so I should know for sure within a day or two I suspect.