Who's running the Leo Vince SBK on the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had them on my bike for more than five years. They came with the baffles already installed. You should not have to drill holes to install them.
The EVO-II SBK's come drilled to accommodate that little retaining screw on the underside of the exhaust tip that holds the insert in place. Mine were not so equipped since they were designed and supplied without the insert. The insert is purported to drop the dB rating by 3 dB which is about 1/2 of what they put out now. Should be the answer if I can make this work.
How's that? Did you have them special made for you? Is there a way to tell if they are? Mine came with the bike when I bought it and I swear they had the baffles in but when I looked there was nothing. It really seems quiet to me. Anyone know when they need to be repacked anyway? I wonder if mine were made with extra packing or something.

The following link is to the repacking instructions on the LV website https://www.leovinceusa.com/main/support/SBK-REFIT.pdf

In that document they say that "typical" for a 4 cylinder might be 20,000 miles. Mine are considerably more than that now and although it isn't metallic sounding or particularly harsh, it is definitely louder than before. As mentioned above, I am using the "quiet" baffles.

I've been running the LV SBK's on my '05 FJR for over four years now and love the sound. I tried running them w/o the baffles when I first got them and they were WAY TO LOUD...

bike definitely has more mid-range punch and throttle is more responsive with the Leo's vs. stock.

I suppose one of these days I should consider repacking them as they are louder now but not bad after about 35k miles..

Last edited by a moderator:
Going on 6 years on my Leo's. No problems, no tickets. I'm not even running the quiet cores.

Same here and I even got them for you.. :) Seriously, I think they are great and they aren't that loud even without the baffles in them.

Rick
Damn...maybe there's some truth to that old adage "If the music's too loud, you're too old!" ;)

Damn...maybe there's some truth to that old adage "If the music's too loud, you're too old!" ;)

..or you haven't damaged your hearing near enough! Live a little!
tongue.gif

I've had them on my bike for more than five years. They came with the baffles already installed. You should not have to drill holes to install them.
The EVO-II SBK's come drilled to accommodate that little retaining screw on the underside of the exhaust tip that holds the insert in place. Mine were not so equipped since they were designed and supplied without the insert. The insert is purported to drop the dB rating by 3 dB which is about 1/2 of what they put out now. Should be the answer if I can make this work.
How's that? Did you have them special made for you? Is there a way to tell if they are? Mine came with the bike when I bought it and I swear they had the baffles in but when I looked there was nothing. It really seems quiet to me. Anyone know when they need to be repacked anyway? I wonder if mine were made with extra packing or something.
Do you have a little stainless screw on the underside of the exhaust tip? If you do, that's holding the Quiet Insert into the cannister. EVO-II, which are pretty much their standard street bike exhaust, come with that insert installed. I don't yet know exactly when they started the EVO-II line but I believe mine pre-date that evolution or they're just the Racing model. I think it's the former, though. I have an email into a rep at Leo Vince that I have recently communicated so I should know for sure within a day or two I suspect.
Oh Oh. It looks like I have the "standards" as well since I don't have that little screw hole and my end caps look exactly like yours. I wonder what the new EVO II sound like minus the baffles.

Oh Oh. It looks like I have the "standards" as well since I don't have that little screw hole and my end caps look exactly like yours. I wonder what the new EVO II sound like minus the baffles.
When I bought my bike (used) last year, the baffles were not installed and the LVs were pretty new (< 10,000 miles). After riding for a little while, I installed the baffles and it was quieter but not from "big-block Chevy" to sewing machine, if you know what I mean. For me, it made the difference between too loud and "I can live with it". As I mentioned, the exhaust has become louder over the 25,000 miles I put on the bike in the past year and I am switching to the stock cans which I have never tried. I'll repack the LVs at my leisure (according to the directions on the LV website) and decide whether or not to put them back on.

Personally, I would probably not choose to spend the money for these or any other aftermarket exhaust system. The added volume doesn't really do anything for me and I seriously doubt that the power at normal RPM range is very different. Maybe a couple of HP at high RPM - just my WAG.

My hearing is already degraded from years of abuse (music, machines, target shooting etc.). I (now) almost always ride with earplugs - as much for wind noise as for exhaust noise.

Ross

I seriously doubt that the power at normal RPM range is very different. Maybe a couple of HP at high RPM - just my WAG.

Throttle response is way better on my '05 FJR with the LV cans..

When I put the stock cans back on there is a definite seat of the pants difference.

And its in the 3500-5000 rpm range, which is where I spend most of my time..

I seriously doubt that the power at normal RPM range is very different. Maybe a couple of HP at high RPM - just my WAG.

Throttle response is way better on my '05 FJR with the LV cans..

When I put the stock cans back on there is a definite seat of the pants difference.

And its in the 3500-5000 rpm range, which is where I spend most of my time..
I wonder if it is a function of the pipes or fuel injection map match for the pipes? Anyway, I guess I'll see when I change back to the stockers. If there is a noticeable performance degradation that can't be corrected with the PC III, I'll swap back to the LVs sooner rather than later.

ross

When I bought my bike (used) last year, the baffles were not installed and the LVs were pretty new (< 10,000 miles). After riding for a little while, I installed the baffles and it was quieter but not from "big-block Chevy" to sewing machine, if you know what I mean. For me, it made the difference between too loud and "I can live with it". As I mentioned, the exhaust has become louder over the 25,000 miles I put on the bike in the past year and I am switching to the stock cans which I have never tried. I'll repack the LVs at my leisure (according to the directions on the LV website) and decide whether or not to put them back on.

Personally, I would probably not choose to spend the money for these or any other aftermarket exhaust system. The added volume doesn't really do anything for me and I seriously doubt that the power at normal RPM range is very different. Maybe a couple of HP at high RPM - just my WAG.

My hearing is already degraded from years of abuse (music, machines, target shooting etc.). I (now) almost always ride with earplugs - as much for wind noise as for exhaust noise.

Ross

The other thing to keep in mind though, is that the bike drops quite a bit of weight when aftermarket mufflers are installed. I like the sound of mine and the weight loss. Two thumbs up for me.

Rick

....and they're sooooooo gonna be "For Sale" because I'll be able to buy a fookin' warehouse full of exhaust systems for what the ticket & insurance increase for speeding is gonna cost me!

I just ran about 30 miles for a "quick" test ride. I'm pretty certain I never ran below 7000 rpm in ANY gear. This is a BIG problem! :lol:

Seriously, how do you guys with the set-up like it? Pro's/Con's?

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

Any one interested in a set of near brand new Cans? These very well might be on the classified soon!

I have the same cans in Carbon Fiber on my 09.

I think there quiet compared to my HD with SEII's.

Try the quiet baffles for a while you might change your mind.

OK! Maybe my Holeshots are getting a little too loud?

Mike (MM2) said they set off a car alarm while we were passing through this town..
rolleyes.gif

I would need help re-packing them.
tongue.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The other thing to keep in mind though, is that the bike drops quite a bit of weight when aftermarket mufflers are installed. I like the sound of mine and the weight loss. Two thumbs up for me.

Rick

not with the LV SBK cans it doesn't. Maybe a couple of pounds total loss but really, the stock exhaust cans are not that heavy.