Why am I having trouble selling an nice FJR for cheap money?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveD

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I've been trying to sell my 2004 for over 2 months now, and I've had exactly 3 guys come and look, and a total of 9 email inquiries. This is prime season here in New England for selling, I've got it posted on Craigslist (see it here link to Craigslist Boston), and I think I've priced it very competitively. I keep bumping it to the top of the Craigslist listing, and every time I do that, I get one or two more inquiries.

The bike's in great shape, though in need of a tire and brake pads, but again, I think I have it priced accordingly.

So, WTF? What am I doing wrong? I know some other New Englanders have had trouble moving an FJR, but I chalked that up to the crappy weather up to now. Should I spend the $250 to deal with the tire/brakes, so I can say "Needs nothing!! Ready to ride!!"?

Yep a used bike that needs nothing will sell quicker, I just picked up an older honda spirit & it needs nothing (new tires even) If it had needed anyhing I would have passed.

There are a couple of drivers to seling bikes these days;

Fist of all a bike is (for most) a discretionary expense - and times are unpredictable, so the first things that people stop doing is to buy stuff they don't need - and bikes, especially in this neck of the woods are clearly not absolutely necessary - if you need proof of what is going on, just look at the accident and fatality statistics for bikes - way, way down this year, for the first time in a long time.

Second of all, while we may love our FJRs, they are a style of bike that is clearly part of a niche market; Very few of these are sold in a good year - and because of what they are and how they tend to be used, we pile on miles which gives pause to lesser riders who don't realise that these machines are good for several hundred thousand miles.

Third. They are quite tall and very heavy, a serious drawback to the majority of riders who like to sit low and ride a lighter bike - Ninjas and such are very light and are very fast. Our bikes are tall & heavy and intended to go for long rides, where most people think a run to the local coffee emporium is a long haul.

I don't think I would put the tires on unless I was willing to increase the selling price; $4500 is very fair and the bike looks good; Maybe you should be advertising in Boston or New York?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying to sell my 2004 for over 2 months now, and I've had exactly 3 guys come and look, and a total of 9 email inquiries. This is prime season here in New England for selling, I've got it posted on Craigslist (see it here link to Craigslist Boston), and I think I've priced it very competitively. I keep bumping it to the top of the Craigslist listing, and every time I do that, I get one or two more inquiries.
The bike's in great shape, though in need of a tire and brake pads, but again, I think I have it priced accordingly.

So, WTF? What am I doing wrong? I know some other New Englanders have had trouble moving an FJR, but I chalked that up to the crappy weather up to now. Should I spend the $250 to deal with the tire/brakes, so I can say "Needs nothing!! Ready to ride!!"?
Maybe too much information. Replace tires and brakes as mentioned. State the mileage, price say it's in great shape. Tell them to come ride it.

Don't say priced just for you.

imho

that does seem like a great deal, whether it needs a tire or not. If I was looking for another I'd be on my way to your house with some $$$.

If I had two nickels to my name I'd consider buying it now to keep as a replacement for my 05.

The other sad thing here is that I feel the value of my '05 with 62K miles is much lower than I thought. Good thing I plan on keeping it a while.

Back to topic: I would invest the money for new tire and brake pads. Both are an easy transaction for you. A prospective buyer doesn't want to deal with it or explain to his/her SO that the new bike that just put a huge dent in summer vacation budget is going to the shop for service on day 2. Add the cost of the tire and brakes to selling price.

Also its a great commuter vehicle. Maybe toss in a few words to tha effect.

good luck

Maybe too much information. Replace tires and brakes as mentioned. State the mileage, price say it's in great shape. Tell them to come ride it.

Don't say priced just for you.

imho

+1 To much info. Short and sweet is the best.

Also its a great commuter vehicle. Maybe toss in a few words to tha effect.

Exactly. It's a great deal, you just need to refine your sales pitch. What he said above, plus maybe comment on comfort (those heated grips are a good selling point. I'd say more about them), plus handling, speed and acceleration. And DEPENDABILITY. Do you know any gorgeous young women? Have one of them sit on it for your next photo shoot.

I'm going to go ahead and toss my 2 pennies in. If the tire is really bald, I'd do the tire, and if the pads are really toast, do those too. It is much easier to sell a bike if it is ready to go.

Also, I wouldn't put the part about the ticker repair in the ad. If someone asks, obviously tell them, but why advertise that bike had work done (which means...it needed work done).

There are plenty of bikes for sale these days, and someone is going to look at yours, see that it needs tires and brakes, and move on to the other bikes that don't need anything. When I see something used that needs something, and it hasn't been done, it makes me wonder if there isn't something else going on...

...If the tire is really bald, I'd do the tire, and if the pads are really toast, do those too. It is much easier to sell a bike if it is ready to go.
Also, I wouldn't put the part about the ticker repair in the ad. If someone asks, obviously tell them, but why advertise that bike had work done (which means...it needed work done).
+1 On everything chrisflock said. Put a couple hundred bucks into the bike and you have some sweet selling points like "new tires and brakes." And like a few others said... up the price to include the repairs (and this will give you some 'flex' room in your price if the buyer wants to haggle). Just paid my '03 off (paying back our savings account) that has 70,000 miles on it and I paid more than you're asking for this '04. Wish it was 12 months ago and you lived a few states closer. :blink:

Good luck on the sale!

I read your craigslist ad. If I didn't know about FJRs I would run away.

This is just me say'n.

Looks like the bike had engine problems.

Looks like it's been down.

Looks like it's been lacking maintanance, needs a tire and brakes.

Looks like it's from the cold, wet country, probably something corroded.

I'm just reading it like a bike shopper that want's a cherry bike for free.

I think you have a nice bike at a good price. Now go sell that bike that only went to church once a week, and was stored in a climate controled room, with the factory upgraded cylinder head asembly.

Best Wishes

Mike

Fist of all a bike is (for most) a discretionary expense - and times are unpredictable, so the first things that people stop doing is to buy stuff they don't need - and bikes, especially in this neck of the woods are clearly not absolutely necessary - if you need proof of what is going on, just look at the accident and fatality statistics for bikes - way, way down this year, for the first time in a long time.

Second of all, while we may love our FJRs, they are a style of bike that is clearly part of a niche market; Very few of these are sold in a good year - and because of what they are and how they tend to be used, we pile on miles which gives pause to lesser riders who don't realise that these machines are good for several hundred thousand miles.

Third. They are quite tall and very heavy, a serious drawback to the majority of riders who like to sit low and ride a lighter bike - Ninjas and such are very light and are very fast. Our bikes are tall & heavy and intended to go for long rides, where most people think a run to the local coffee emporium is a long haul.

I don't think I would put the tires on unless I was willing to increase the selling price; $4500 is very fair and the bike looks good; Maybe you should be advertising in Boston or New York?
Gunny

I'm going to go ahead and toss my 2 pennies in. If the tire is really bald, I'd do the tire, and if the pads are really toast, do those too. It is much easier to sell a bike if it is ready to go.

There are plenty of bikes for sale these days, and someone is going to look at yours, see that it needs tires and brakes, and move on to the other bikes that don't need anything. When I see something used that needs something, and it hasn't been done, it makes me wonder if there isn't something else going on...
Gunny

I read your craigslist ad. If I didn't know about FJRs I would run away.
This is just me say'n.

Looks like the bike had engine problems.

Looks like it's been down.

Looks like it's been lacking maintanance, needs a tire and brakes.

Looks like it's from the cold, wet country, probably something corroded.

I'm just reading it like a bike shopper that want's a cherry bike for free.

I think you have a nice bike at a good price. Now go sell that bike that only went to church once a week, and was stored in a climate controled room, with the factory upgraded cylinder head asembly.

Best Wishes

Mike
Gunny.
IMHO Less is more. I would Omit the ticker deal, etc. I'd replace the brakes and tire. People may think you don't care and are maybe hiding more when you leave it with some maintenance items to fix. That's just me though. Granted you may not recoup your costs for replacing all this, but it may move quicker.

I think it's priced fair and one would think with riding season kicking off in full gear, it would sell soon.

Good luck.

Ebay has always been good to me. Good pics and honest and detailed description with a fair price will get you some action IMHO.

doctorj

thanks, folks. There's some good advice there. Part of the problem is that I know (like all you guys know) what a terrific bike it is, and I can't understand why everyone else doesn't just show up knowing what we know.

If you know what I mean...

Too wordy -too low of price. Also, anyone seriously interested will be familiar with an FJR already so describing it assumes you think the buyer is DUM (dumb)

consider something short and to the point:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

2004 FJR -the Most sought-after year

Original adult owner. Never abused, 42K highway mile, well maintained -->Must see to appreciate.

This is *NOT* a "ticker", in fact, yamaha replaced the valve guides at 22Kmiles as a precaution (thanks yamaha)

Your extras will include:

+ two extra larger shield

+ heated grips

+ Moko sliders (not the cheap ones)

+ power outlet

Tires are marginal, but for the fly-n-ride buyer, will gladly mount up tires of your choosing if you pay actual cost.

This bike is currently priced to sell: $4,999.oo

Clear title in hand, will help with local delivery or airport pickup.

OH, almost forgot - YES, this is an ABS model!!!

Serious inquiries: [email protected]

or 555-123-4567

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

You are priced WAY too high!

I'll give you $2000 for it cause I am such a nice guy..........

:)

Second of all, while we may love our FJRs, they are a style of bike that is clearly part of a niche market that only old fat guys ride; Very few of these are sold in a good year - and because of what they are and how they tend to be used, we pile on miles which gives pause to lesser riders who don't realize that these machines are good for several hundred thousand miles.
I adjusted it for ya! :evil: :dribble: :p :p :p :p

Stats show that most FJR owners are typically at least middle aged. They have worked hard and saved hard and consider their bike a reward. They want it to be low miles and excellent condition if buying used, otherwise they will just buy a new one. Price is not the primary motivation for this demographic.

Now if 20 yr olds were into buying FJR's, you would have likely sold this somewhat overly used bargain bike for $4,500 several weeks ago.