Why am I having trouble selling an nice FJR for cheap money?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe2LMaker said

just followed the link to your ad again and you still haven't changed it.IMO what you are doing wrong is not following the very good advice already offered.
Actually, I have followed most of the good advice I've been given. You need to click F5 to refresh your cached view of the page.

Willie said

Hello neighbor
Hi to you, too. I'll definitely try a posting at the New England Riders site- thanks!

You'll sell it soon, Your target buyer is most likley like me, 50/professional/experienced rider/not a daredevil. good luck. DR
Hey! I am 28, been riding 2 years, and I just picked up an 04 ABS.

Ok, I am professional and not a daredevil/lunatic.

The bikes are great. It is all in the marketing.

Aim at the demographic: someone who wants a bike that CAN do it all and is easy to maintain.

Put points like: 26k valve interval, do it all bike, Can run to the store or cruise across country, etc.

Fix any issues. Polish it up. Don't even mention "ticking" unless someone asks or it scares them (they have to google what a ticker is and then get scared that you might be lying, etc. Don't even mess with it).

find a friend with a pro level digital camera and take pics. This MATTERS. Picture quality will be totally different. Price it at 5500 and move down if the buyer wants to haggle. Mention that the bike was 14k new. Chances are someone will be like "take 5k?" and you can move the bike.

Hi - Just sold the bike!

All that great advice obviously worked. Since Tuesday when I reposted the re-written, more positive-sounding ad with the better pictures, I got 6 emails, and I had 3 guys lined up to see the bike today and tomorrow. The first guy showed up today with an FJR-riding buddy, they looked it over, and he pulled out $4.5K in cash and handed it to me! Done! Sweet!

I'll look at all those marketing knuckleheads at my company a little differently from now on.

George/Cota95: I sent one guy your way, since he was looking for a top case and preferred fewer miles. I hope you catch a break!

Dave,

Congrats on the Sale! Bike buyers are pretty fickle buyers and need all the help you can give'em.

Happy Trails on your '09...

Those who buy an FJR, wanted an FJR in the first place. I doubt anyone ended up with an FJR because they just wanted to get a bike.

We all want to say, I got it at a great price and mint, never had to t do a think, lot's of farkles. Not great price, just need to fix a few things.

I've been trying to sell my 2004 for over 2 months now, and I've had exactly 3 guys come and look, and a total of 9 email inquiries. This is prime season here in New England for selling, I've got it posted on Craigslist (see it here link to Craigslist Boston), and I think I've priced it very competitively. I keep bumping it to the top of the Craigslist listing, and every time I do that, I get one or two more inquiries.
The bike's in great shape, though in need of a tire and brake pads, but again, I think I have it priced accordingly.

So, WTF? What am I doing wrong? I know some other New Englanders have had trouble moving an FJR, but I chalked that up to the crappy weather up to now. Should I spend the $250 to deal with the tire/brakes, so I can say "Needs nothing!! Ready to ride!!"?
I don't have much experience selling bikes........... but when I watch guys like OM and Bust sell bikes, Well........................ during the test ride phase, they

usually ride bitch and offer their customary free reach around service during that test ride.............. not my style :dribble: :dribble: ... but it seems to work for them.

Just here to help...... :rolleyes:

B...

Hi - Just sold the bike!
All that great advice obviously worked. Since Tuesday when I reposted the re-written, more positive-sounding ad with the better pictures, I got 6 emails, and I had 3 guys lined up to see the bike today and tomorrow. The first guy showed up today with an FJR-riding buddy, they looked it over, and he pulled out $4.5K in cash and handed it to me! Done! Sweet!

I'll look at all those marketing knuckleheads at my company a little differently from now on.

George/Cota95: I sent one guy your way, since he was looking for a top case and preferred fewer miles. I hope you catch a break!
Thanks Dave, I can use it. No call as of yet.

[email protected]