Why do they do this to us?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonRed7

Reaction score
Ever change one out on the piece of shit 93' Neon that your son just had to buy. Why do i agree to these things? Why do the engineers find totally impossible places to put this shit. Yhea,...i know... To save 3/4 of an inch of wheelbase and $12 of metal.

Damn,Shit,Damn

K

I'm almost better now..

DB

I won't even attempt to change the plugs in my sons Pontiac GT. They had to put them in before the engine went in the car.

They should make the dam engineers do some maintenance before the first car is sold. Bastages. :angry:

I want to find the one who decided that changing a headlight meant taking the whole front of the #$%$#% car off.

In the words of Pink Floyd "... just 5 minutes, Worm Your Honour... him and me alone... "

Griff

At least as a Tech, I DO things engineers only dream of. :blum:

It all looks good on a CAD screen where things just rotate right into view. :blink:

Removing the battery from a 2000 or so Chrysler Sebring convertible;

Jack up left front of vehicle;

Remove front left wheel;

Then remove inner fender.

That's right, it's in the front fender between the headlight and front wheel.

Removing the battery from a 2000 or so Chrysler Sebring convertible;
Jack up left front of vehicle;

Remove front left wheel;

Then remove inner fender.

That's right, it's in the front fender between the headlight and front wheel.
Sounds like as much fun as getting to the battery on our FJR's. <_<

Tom

Engineers don't give a flying pig's fart how hard it is to work on. All they want to do is get it screwed together at the factory. If you have to build the car around the headlight switch (as in my '89 Mercury) then fine.

Doesn't the cost of the alternator total the '93 Neon?
We have a second parts car so i actually must to remove TWO of the fukin' things. I keep telling myself...Time=Nothing$ but it's not doing my sense of humor any good. The bloody thing is in pretty good shape for the year (110,000km's) and the bank dosen't own it. And they are wicked fast :rolleyes:

DB

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever change one out on the piece of shit 93' Neon that your son just had to buy. Why do i agree to these things? Why do the engineers find totally impossible places to put this shit. Yhea,...i know... To save 3/4 of an inch of wheelbase and $12 of metal.
Damn,Shit,Damn

K

I'm almost better now..

DB
Well, if it's anything like changing the starter on that car, I feel your pain.

My son seemed grateful.

Haven't Chrysler's been disposable by design since the Iaccoca years?
For what they are, the Neons aren't bad, I guess.

My son's 96 has about 170k on it and it still doesn't have any leaks or drips and doesn't burn oil. It has had stuff like a radiator, starter, timing belt, but nothing major. Being a real basic car probably helps in this case.

On my sister's Escape, you have to remove the intake manifold to change the rear set of plugs. Makes changing plugs in an Sunbeam Tiger with a 302 look like child's play.

Haven't Chrysler's been disposable by design since the Iaccoca years?
For what they are, the Neons aren't bad, I guess.

My son's 96 has about 170k on it and it still doesn't have any leaks or drips and doesn't burn oil. It has had stuff like a radiator, starter, timing belt, but nothing major. Being a real basic car probably helps in this case.
I have to admit your son's '96 Neon is holding up better than the two Audi's we've had.

At 105k the 1998 A4 was leaking both engine and transmission oil from multiple places which gooped up the clutch. Put nearly $3k into fixing that, and then it STILL leaked fluids. :angry: Traded it for a Subaru.

Fast forward a couple years and the wife's cache must have been cleared, because one day she came home with a 2002 Audi A6. We just put $4200 into the 2002 A6 with 95k, fixing electrical switches, sensors, catalytic converters, CV joints. Doesn't leak any oil (just wiper fluid). But burns 1 quart every 2500 miles, and last week the transmission started shifting real hard.

What the h*ll is up with these cars?

To be honest, when replacing the alternator on my BIL's neon (96 I'm assuming the same body style as the one you're working on, since the 1st gen was from 95-99), I was thinking wow, this isn't as bad as most of the foreign cars I've worked on. Nowhere near as easy as the alternator on a RWD car, but not bad. That whole bracket that holds the alternator and tensions the belt for it seems over complicated, and it was a pain to figure out how to put it all together because it had been so long since we took it apart, but once we figured it out, it wasn't all that hard to get at. Now, it may be a different setup if the one you are working on is the SOHC, as his was DOHC...

I haven't changed the alternator on my wife's neon (only 130k miles) but the other work I've done on it hasn't been bad. It is a SOHC, but it is a 2nd gen, so a lot of things are different.

Some of the V6 FWD cars I've work on, though, have been a real PIA...